Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Which albums, upon release, disappointed you?
  • 77 Comments sorted by
  • Madonna just needs to stop buying into what she thinks is modern and do something more alternative ("American Life" being a great example) and bare her soul into it.

She should stop trying to be the 'hot mom'.
    Post edited by Jo_ey at 2013-09-17 18:40:53

• ickygerm said:MAYA by m.i.a. also kala was kind of a letdown after arular, i think arular is m.i.a.'s best album. except for "bad girls" i don't think anything m.i.a. has realeased since kala has done anything for me at all

Ah, a great point for me as well! I
    loved "Kala" then I bought "/\/\/\ /\ Y /\" and was disappointed, I only like 3-4 songs.

I don't even like "Bad Girls"...
  • Last Bloc party album. Dunno why I always loved em.

the fact that Miley Cirus wastes oxygen is quite sad.
  • oh i lied about the m.i.a. thing i liked a bunch of stuff on the vicki leekx mixtape as well and that was after MAYA

Jo_ey said:

Ah, a great point for me as well! I loved "Kala" then I bought "/\/\/\ /\ Y /\" and was disappointed, I only like 3-4 songs.

do those 3-4 songs include XXXO and teqkilla? those are the only ones i remember liking, i haven't listened to the album basically since the week i got it
    Post edited by ickygerm at 2013-09-17 19:07:32
  • ickygerm said:

oh i lied about the m.i.a. thing i liked a bunch of stuff on the vicki leekx mixtape as well and that was after MAYA

Jo_ey said:

Ah, a great point for me as well! I loved "Kala" then I bought "/\/\/\ /\ Y /\" and was disappointed, I only like 3-4 songs.

do those 3-4 songs include XXXO and teqkilla? those are the only ones i remember liking, i haven't listened to the album basically since the week i got it

Yes, my 2 favorites!  :P

I also like "Steppin' Up" and "Lovalot".
  • Any Blondie or Debbie Harry after No Exit.

Pia Zadora, Rock it Out. :P
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • iuventus said:

Any Blondie or Debbie Harry after No Exit.

Pia Zadora, Rock it Out. :P

I would say every Blondie album after Autoamerican.

As for MIA, her third album was a huge mess and disappointment. .
    I hope that you die in a decent pair of shoes
    You got a lot more walking to do where you're going to.
  • The only ones that spring to mind at the moment are...

We too are one - Eurythmics...after the wonderfulness that was Savage it felt really forced and flat (Revival anyone....didn't think so ;) )  I cannot listen to it as a whole parts are ok though.

I agree up to a point about the Red Shoes but I can listen to that and actually quite like the weirdness of Big Stripey Lie but it is not my favourite disc.

I am sure more may come to me given time but I am trying to be more positive today so shall leave it well alone at the mo.
    '' Sometimes I think I've felt everything I'm ever going to feel and from here on out I'm not going to feel anything new, just lesser versions of what I've already felt ''
  • The Red Shoes and The Hunter both delighted me at the time of release; though, when I look back on them, they lack a certain lustre. Each has some cleverly crafted songs that I've always enjoyed, but as albums they were weak. I'll stand by No Exit; it was nearly everything that Blondie had been in the past, and much more.
  • For me the anticipation for The Red Shoes was so strong that when it finally appeared i loved it....along with The Line, the cross and the curve. However there are some slightly, dare I say plodding tracks on it. Although Moments of Pleasure/Song of Solomon/Lily/Title track/You want Alchemy(not on i know but same era) do redeem it sufficiently.
    '' Sometimes I think I've felt everything I'm ever going to feel and from here on out I'm not going to feel anything new, just lesser versions of what I've already felt ''
  • I love "You Want Alchemy." In fact, it inspired a play-in-progress.
  • It is glorious....the whole idea...everything...all hidden as a b.side treasure.
  • ickygerm said:

ceremonials by florence

Im with you... ceremonials is like everyones dressed as Santa for Halloween... enjoy Lungs though..

• I might as well post it here, I cannot stand Selena Gomez and Taylor Swift. My girls play them quite a lot. I cannot think of anybody else who as been more annoying EVER.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • @ Cervus: We Too Are One is a welcome addition to this discussion. I love Savage. It's probably my favourite Eurythmics album. I agree with your description of it being flat. It's just dull really, with hardly any noteworthy songs. In fact, the only song I listen to on it is The King And Queen of America, which I love.

Re The Red Shoes, these are the tracks I can listen to:

And So Is Love
    Moments of Pleasure
    The Song of Solomon
    Lily
    The Red Shoes

The following tracks are OK:
    Rubberband Man
    Top of the City

And once every now and then, I can get through:
    Why Should I Love You?

All in all, a very uneven album.

I would like to add Cocteau Twins' Milk And Kisses to the list. It pains me to add a Cocteau Twins album to this list, but Milk And Kisses is by far the worst album they ever made. It's like they weren't even trying anymore and just going through the motions. The tracks lack the usual intrigue and hooks. It also feels to me such a sweet album, too sweet in fact. Tishbite is the worst thing they ever produced. Having said that, the album does contain two tracks I like (Violane and Serpentskirt) and two I love (Treasure Hiding and Seekers Who Are Lovers). Overall though, the album was a huge disappointment and I've never recovered from my disappointment with it. I've never stopped loving the Cocteau Twins though.
    Post edited by Archway at 2013-09-18 06:30:29
    I hope that you die in a decent pair of shoes
    You got a lot more walking to do where you're going to.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!