Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Which albums, upon release, disappointed you?
  • I was talking to a friend today and he said that he is somewhat disappointed by Tales Of Us. We had a long conversation about it and other albums that we found disappointing. We both also admitted that some albums we found disappointing on initial release, later grew on us, and in some cases became favourites. However, in most cases, we never really overcame the initial disappointment.

What are some of yours, and have you ever been able to overcome your disappointment with these albums?

Here are a few of mine that came up in the conversation -

New Order - Republic:
    I was bitterly disappointed by Republic, but that was/is because I loved (love) Technique. Republic was such a let-down after Technique.
    Have I recovered? No, not at all. After 20 years, I can still only make it as far as Ruined In A Day.

Fiona Apple - Extraordinary Machine
    Considered by some as one of the best albums of the 00s, I never got into this album at all. I was a huge fan of When The Pawn..., but this album had zero appeal to me. It's not that I disliked (dislike) it (like New Order's Republic), it is just that I had no connection to it at all. Thankfully the last Fiona Apple remedied that.
    Recovered? No, and it probably won't happen.

PJ Harvey - Is This Desire?
    I know so many PJ fans that love this album. I have tried, really. I just find it so uneven and the songs somewhat weak. Also, the albums feels a bit incoherent. And of course there is also the fact that it was the follow up to my favourite PJ album - To Bring You My Love, so in fairness, it was probably never going to be easy to release something that would be better (at that stage).
    Recovered? No, and I do revisit the album every now and then to see if my view of it has changed.

Tori Amos - To Venus And Back (and everything after that, except for Scarlet's Walk)
    What can I say really? It ended my love for Tori. It came across as a collection of random songs, some quite poor and pointless.
    Recovered? No

Broadcast - Tender Buttons
    I was horrified the first time I heard Tender Buttons. It was the follow up to one of my all time fave albums - Haha Sound. Tender Buttons sounded so rough, unpolished and had (has) that feedback type sound running through it. I don't mind rough sounding records or feedback, but I didn't expect it from Broadcast.
    Recovered? Absolutely yes. It is now my favourite Broadcast album.

Stereolab - Dots And Loops
    This was yet another case of a follow up to a really great album. The great one being Emperor Tomato Ketchup. Dots And Loops was just a bit dull.
    Recovered? Kind of. I listen to it every now and then, and it is pleasant.

Stereolab - Sound-Dust
    This was released after my favourite Stereolab album - Cobra And Phase Group Play.. Sound-Dust is a weak album, and I like it less than Dots And Loops.
    Recovered: No

Bjork - Volta
    Bjork had a fantastic run of albums that I absolutely adored (adore). It started with Homogenic and ended with Medulla. Volta was a huge disappointment for me because it seemed as if she had run out if ideas and returned to a more conventional sound/structure for an album.
    Recovered? No.

Goldfrapp - Black Cherry
    Yeah, I can hear people swear at me, but Black Cherry was a disappointment for me. Felt Mountain is one if my all time fave albums, so I expected way too much for a follow up. I didn't like the overall sound of the album and I didn't like the singles either. The album also didn't have the smooth flow of Felt Mountain for me.
    Recovered? Kind of. I listen to Black Cherry and can appreciate it for what it is.

Goldfrapp - Head First
    Upon release, I thought this was the end of Goldfrapp for me. I could not believe that Goldfrapp relased such an awful album. It just felt do fake and forced.
    Recovered? In the process of recovering. I can actually listen to the album from start to finish, with the exception of Shiny And Warm, which I skip occasionally.

Suzanne Vega - Book Of Days
    This is such a dull album. The songs are rather weak and unmemorable.
    Recovered: No, but around three songs have grown on me over the years.

Kate Bush - The Red Shoes
    Six of the first seven songs are great (or great-ish), and then, everything after the title track is such a let-down, so uneven. But the worst, almost unforgivable track is the final one - You're The One. It's not the lyrics, or the return of the Trio Bulgraka (which I love), but the worst use of keyboards on any Kate Bush song ever. I find it cringeworthy.
    Recovered? No, I can't even listen to track seven without skipping one or two tracks at times.

Max Richter - Songs From Before
    Songs From Before was an attempt to be The Blue Notebooks Part II. Unfortunately, it just doesn't have the same beauty, impact or intensity of Blue Notebooks.
    Recovered? Kind of, because I listen to it without skipping tracks or switching it off.

Joni Mitchell - Wild Things Run Fast
    This was the follow up to the jazz inspired album Mingus. I like Mingus, but it is nowhere near a favourite Joni album. So in theory, a follow up album could easily be an improvement. Not with Wild Things... There is nothing on it that is great. It's not all bad, but as a whole, the album is just so pointless.
    Recovered? No, never.

Joni Mitchell - Dog Eat Dog
    The 80s were a bad decade for Joni albums, as she tried to embrace a contemporary sound. On Dog Eat Dog, Joni tried going pop, and in the process lost her soul.
    Recovered? Not really, though I have learned to enjoy about three songs on the album

And that is all I thought of, but I know there are loads more.
    I hope that you die in a decent pair of shoes
    You got a lot more walking to do where you're going to.
  • 77 Comments sorted by
  • I cannot say i really like the latest Black Sabbath album called 13. Really i mean compared to other releases. Madonnas MDNA was a tad below her high standard.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • @Archway:

On bjork.. shes just fantastic all the way from debut thru vespertine.. never gave myself a chance with medulla though the concept seems brilliant and bjork
    Enough.. there are a few gems on volta that heark back to her early work like pneumonia, wanderlust, and vertebraebyvertebrae.. fortunately i saw her during her volta tour.. now that was an event! Full of brass, and ahead of all the horns that seemed to have permeated the indie/hipster/p4k circles these days.. as for biophilia, even after the press and sampling i just dont get it (but maybe thats justme!)..

Finally, i wish goldfrapp would stop beating themselves up about HF... if happiness was behind the concept of that one and if they have described HF's sound as "celebratory" and "jubilant" then i take them for their word!
  • - Both of Natalia Kills' albums
    I just don't understand how there can be a couple of tracks that are AMAZING and then the rest be duds... I literally do not get it

- Every Avril Lavigne album after "Under My Skin"...
    She sold out and it makes me really sad because her first 2 albums were so good.

- Every Flyleaf album after their debut
    They didn't necessarily sell out but I worshiped their first album but everything after that sucked

- Madonna "Hard Candy" and "MDNA"
    How she followed an amazing dance record with "Hard Candy" makes me kinda queasy

- Röyksopp's "Senior"
    What a huge yawn this was, disappointing because their previous albums were really good. But I feel like they're gonna come back soon and blow me away, so, fingers crossed.
  • You young lot have it easy with online streams, previews and free downloaded in the 80s you only had an idea how bad or good an album was when you bought it :-/

^I like the thread idea though. Will think about it.

Usually it's albums by bands I love and that have a break (the break bit I think is generally a bad thing) and come back with an eagerly waited follow up that really disappoints. So I, like you say, you sometimes comeback to them later.

You could also do a - album you just didn't 'get' first time around.

Last 2 I remember were:

Portishead - Third. I just don't think Krautrock worked with Beth's voice (waste of a great backing band aswell).

My Bloody Valentine - MBV. Partly because of the opposite. They didn't try anyrhing new, it was the same as before. Oh and they forget to write any tunes.
  • You young lot have it easy with online streams, previews and free downloaded in the 80s you only had an idea how bad or good an album was when you bought it :-/

Not my case, even being 17!

Every album I listed was bought without listening beforehand.

Let's not stereotype age groups.
    Post edited by Jo_ey at 2013-09-17 04:25:31

• Jo_ey said:

You young lot have it easy with online streams, previews and free downloaded in the 80s you only had an idea how bad or good an album was when you bought it :-/

Every albu/m I listed was bought without listening beforehand.

^ really! Why? Even i used to sometimes get to a big store with a listening post and have a quick listen.
  • One record that will be forever etched in my brain as I was 16, they
    were my favourite band, anthemic, electronic, dark, overblown videos,
    Peter Saville record covers and sets, black trench coats, pretentious
    lyrics ;-)... then this...

Ultravox - U-Vox.  (feel a bit sick just typing it!)

Not only the songs, The lyrics, the music, ... the cover (PINK!), the band
    shots! As a teenage boy the band stood for more than just music. No idea
    what Midge was thinking as his solo album wasn't that bad, still in the
    vain of Ultravox in many ways. But U-Vox was like a Stock Aitken
    Waterman make over! Tainted my love of the band for many years.
    Post edited by tattmaylor at 2013-09-17 04:28:53

• Jo_ey said:

You young lot have it easy with online streams, previews and free downloaded in the 80s you only had an idea how bad or good an album was when you bought it :-/

Every albu/m I listed was bought without listening beforehand.

^ really! Why? Even i used to sometimes get to a big store with a listening post and have a quick listen.

Because when an artist I like announces an album, I go and pre-order it.

And most of the time, if I like the 1st single to an album then I'm gonna pre-order it.

In Natalia's case, she just released her 2nd album a few weeks ago, but prior to that, she released 2 singles from it that I was obsessed with (and still am). That's why I don't understand how someone can come out with a few amazing songs and then the rest of the album be filled with duds. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

And I keep trying to listen to and like Avril's new music but it's just... awful.

^I like the thread idea though. Will think about it.

Usually it's albums by bands I love and that have a break (the break bit I think is generally a bad thing) and come back with an eagerly waited follow up that really disappoints. So I, like you say, you sometimes comeback to them later.

You could also do a - album you just didn't 'get' first time around.

Last 2 I remember were:

Portishead - Third. I just don't think Krautrock worked with Beth's voice (waste of a great backing band aswell).

My Bloody Valentine - MBV. Partly because of the opposite. They didn't try anyrhing new, it was the same as before. Oh and they forget to write any tunes.

When I think about it now, I wasted so much money on bad/disappointing albums in the yesrs before the digital age.

I agree with your view on MBV. It's not only overrated, but hugely disappointing

Another one I'd like to add to my list -

Blue Nile - Peace At Last
    This was the follow up to Hats, which I loved. Peace At Last just didn't have to hooks or the consistency of Hats or A Walk Across The Rooftops.
    Recovered? No. I have tried to get into this album, but everytime I hear it, I'm faced with a sense of utter disappointment.
  • Great thread. Interesting and well put.

I cant remember being disappointed by an album purchase but I rarely buy music these days. So I asked a friend who said "basically every hip hop album for the last ten years"

"its MY favourite song"
  • @Archway and Tatt on MBV: i was excited to hear their new tunes but strangely enough the effect that has on me was just like loveless... didnt get it at first but just kept the album bcuz most said it was good... i may be saying the same for this new one later on..
  • @Archway and Tatt on MBV: i was excited to hear their new tunes but strangely enough the effect that has on me was just like loveless... didnt get it at first but just kept the album bcuz most said it was good... i may be saying the same for this new one later on..

I love Loveless and Isn't Anything, but MBV has very little appeal to me. Let's hope that it will grow on me in years to come.
  • just about every bowie album post scary monsters 1980 ,directors cut -kate bush,year of the wolf -nerina pallot and (whisper it) random access memories by daft punk,however on saying this Mansuns album "six" started as a huge disappointment,yet is now one of my favourite records
  • jasefrazz said:

just about every bowie album post scary monsters 1980 ,directors cut -kate bush,year of the wolf -nerina pallot and (whisper it) random access memories by daft punk,however on saying this Mansuns album "six" started as a huge disappointment,yet is now one of my favourite records

Kate Bush's Director's Cut is an odd one for me. I wasn't disappointed by it, but just found it pointless. It was more a case of artistic indulgence for me.

As for Random Access Memories, I just think it is vastly overrated.
  • Archway said:

jasefrazz said:

just about every bowie album post scary monsters 1980 ,directors cut -kate bush,year of the wolf -nerina pallot and (whisper it) random access memories by daft punk,however on saying this Mansuns album "six" started as a huge disappointment,yet is now one of my favourite records

Kate Bush's Director's Cut is an odd one for me. I wasn't disappointed by it, but just found it pointless. It was more a case of artistic indulgence for me.

As for Random Access Memories, I just think it is vastly overrated.

I know what you mean. Someone else mentioned The Red Shoes as a dispaointing album, that and Ariel are my least favorite Kate Bush albums. I kind of prefere The Red Shoes tracks on Director's Cut and am less keen on the Sensual World stuff, but I agree with Archway that it was just artistic indulgence and it's not really at all necessary.

It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!