Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 176 Comments sorted by
  • Two for the price of one Head First threads. I've wanted to say for some time, that whilst 'I wanna life' ain't exactly groundbreaking, it's special to me as a Doctor Who fan with the lyric "A nowhere bar that's like a Tardis". I will be putting this song on a Doctor Who related compilation at some point no doubt, and there are tonnes of other little Doctor Who snippets. Apparently Matt Smith's favorite tune at the time he was up for the job was 'A&E' ;)
    Post edited by Border_Mind at 2013-06-14 17:14:51
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • You should check out all the Doctor Who-related mash-ups then.
    Creator of Goldfrapp Jukebox, the most complete Goldfrapp music library on the Internet
  • Alan said:

You should check out all the Doctor Who-related mash-ups then.

Oh really, now why doesn't that surprise me, as much as I can appreciate some mash up's I don't tend to pay a lot of attention to them, but I'll be sure to look out for some
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • Creator of Goldfrapp Jukebox, the most complete Goldfrapp music library on the Internet
  • Alison doesn't seem like someone to release an inferior product. She comes across to me as quite snobbish about her output so I don't believe for one minute that Alison and Will weren't happy with it - at least at the time.

In retrospect is a different matter altogether.

Perhaps the fact that it undersold is a reason she now views it with disdain? But maybe there are other things that impact upon her memory it e.g. wasn't her mother becoming ill at the same time?  Perhaps a lot of things were happening to her during this era which prevented her ability to be objectionable at the time of recording.
  • "I think EMI were breathing down their neck a bit and steering them into a more mainstream direction with Head First"

My favorite conspiracy theory to hate
    I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • LuDux said:

"I think EMI were breathing down their neck a bit and steering them into a more mainstream direction with Head First"

My favorite conspiracy theory to hate

It would tally with the politics that were around at the time at EMI, and also HF is the least Goldfrapp of all the albums. Just my tuppence  :-\"

• EMI: hey, Alison, don't do it like this, do it like that
    Alison:
    I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • It would also explain why they promptly returned to standalone Mute instead of sticking with EMI, and we know they weren't overly happy with having to put out The Singles which we also know was dictated by EMI.
  • Yay I want b-sides more than that, I want sleep, damn you Siouxsie keeping me awake all night by being so great.....
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination

• Little bit of context re 'Head First'.  The 'vibe' before that album was even released was negative, so much so that I started a thread in order for haters to pour their bile into one receptacle instead of spreading it over the board.
  • softlad said:

Little bit of context re 'Head First'.  The 'vibe' before that album was even released was negative, so much so that I started a thread in order for haters to pour their bile into one receptacle instead of spreading it over the board.

Hardly!! I only remember people not liking it after all tracks were heard or after Rocket?? Even after Rocket I was looking forward to album because it might've been different. Don't recall a vibe.
  • Ah, well what I've done there then is imagined it, started a thread and then members have started ragging on it.  My bad. #-o 
  • Head First was a strange time
    What happened, I remember, sarcky is the tracks leaked, a lot of people hated it and after album was released there were two threads for those who liked it and those who don't.

• That thread above was started just as 'Rocket' was released as a single.  If you look you'll see that about ten threads in a poster mentions that at the time only three / two and a half tracks had been heard.  There were numerous posters, the usual suspects at the time, who were being negative. Free speech and all that so I started a thread for them. No biggie. I feel it illustrates, for the purposes of this thread, that right from the off 'Head First' was a contentious release.  Rumour has it they were approached for a sponsorship deal with Marmite.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!