Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • This years list is eclectic again and I have a couple of favourites in there. Id like Savages to win. What do you thing?

• 29 Comments sorted by
  • I'm expected to say it, I guess, but the Bowie album is phenomenal... and came out of the blue.
  • Bowie ftw
    "its MY favourite song"
  • Or the Arctic Monkeys.

Or Laura Marling*

* because I loathed Joni Mitchell: Original Recipe
  • It's probably not very cool but I LOVE Disclosure and thought it was the best dance album of summer (sorry Daft Punk)...

hunter
  • I am a big fan of David Bowie.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • Very good list!
    Savages
    Disclosure
    Hopkins
    Mvula
    or James Blake for me.

I miss the frapp here, though...
    Be patient.
  • Yeah, too bad Goldfrapp didn't make it in.  The cut off date must have just passed, right, because the Arctic Monkeys album just came out. 

My vote's for Bowie or Blake. 
  • Bowie without any doubt, The Next Day is a fine album indeed, though it's not the best album released this year......
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • Mark my words, at least 2 of my faves will be nominated next year - Goldfrapp and Anna Calvi ;)
  • It's just so random. Can't really get with awards, music is so subjective. So many of these have already done their great albums why nominate them now. Their first breakthroughs deserved the credit. Most of these don't need any awards. I liked it when the Mercury's was about something fresh and surprising aswell as high quality. They are all worthy records but most aren't giving me anything really new. Does Bowie, Arctic Monkeys etc. really need extra publicity?

Savages, Luara Mvula (don't know Disclosure or Rudimental) are the only ones seem fresh.The rest don't really need to be selected.

I mean it's not like it's High School or anything.
    Post edited by tattmaylor at 2013-09-12 04:26:50

• It's just so random. Can't really get with awards, music is so subjective. So many of these have already done their great albums why nominate them now. Their first breakthroughs deserved the credit. Most of these don't need any awards. I liked it when the Mercury's was about something fresh and surprising aswell as high quality.

This, especially in terms of what the Mercury felt like it stood for initially, lifting an artist's winning breakthough above the radar for people to see/hear.

Yes, I loved the Bowie one and would be happy if it won but a nod being listed makes the point really all the same.

As for Savages, couldn't people just put an old Banshee's album on instead? >:)

The one album for me that screamed to be on the list but omitted was the Daughter one - as albums go that lift an act to another level that was a perfect choice for the shortlist, at the very least.
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • Oh you're right, Daughter is definitely missing even though I'm not a huge fan of them. I'm also missing Tom Odell on the shortlist.
    Be patient.
  • Indeed. Why no Daughter??
  • Looking at this list and the way they chose it's shocking: Jon Hopkins is in there instead of Boards Of Canada.

But then I read this...

"That the prize requires the payment of an entry fee, as well as the
    submission of physical music, has created a bar for smaller labels in an
    age of declining revenues, meaning some artists whose albums
    have been
    acclaimed did not even enter, let alone get shortlisted."

So i'm pretty sure Boards/Warp wouldn't have entered in to something like this. It all reminds me of design/advertising industry awards. There are some brilliant companies that don't enter so it will never be very relavant.
    Post edited by tattmaylor at 2013-09-12 08:25:51

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!