Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Love For Laurel and her red, red hair......
  • The lower register vocal.....the sparse mystery.....the fading spotlight on her red, red hair......

Yes, it's a thread for our starlet with a short life-line: Laurel.

It's really standing out for me as the most cinematic of the TOU family. It starts so, so simply then the swell of those strings....oh, those strings!
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • 25 Comments sorted by
  • The most cinematic with Simone, yeah. I love Laurel too ! However, what the hell is Alison saying at 2:25 ???
  • Uh oh, Carpy's lovelorn for Laurel.

Dangerous ground, Carpy.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Her lower register has always been glorious but this takes it to a new level.
    '' Sometimes I think I've felt everything I'm ever going to feel and from here on out I'm not going to feel anything new, just lesser versions of what I've already felt ''
  • iuventus said:

Uh oh, Carpy's lovelorn for Laurel.

Dangerous ground, Carpy.

She needs protecting, obviously. She's making all the wrong choices for all the wrong reasons and little does she know of the consequences to come........
    Post edited by The_Carpathian at 2013-09-10 07:52:47
  • Sometimes these things cannot be changed though....even for all the right reasons...we just have to watch/listen helplessly.....
    '' Sometimes I think I've felt everything I'm ever going to feel and from here on out I'm not going to feel anything new, just lesser versions of what I've already felt ''
  • Cervus said:

Her lower register has always been glorious but this takes it to a new level.

Absolutely. It's not just another tone of voice, but in this context a whole other voice entirely. Fits the mood of her story perfectly - the world weary realisation that plans aren't going her way.
  • Definitely one of my favourites. Alison's vocal is so arresting! :) As Will said recently.. they're still discovering new things it can do.

I read-up a bit on the inspiration: "In a lonely place". I don't know if Alison was connecting more with the book, but the film version sounds worth checking out. Here's the actress (Gloria Grahame) that plays Laurel:

• Cervus said:

Her lower register has always been glorious but this takes it to a new level.

We tend to speak of 'depth' when women sing in those registers, but here Alison explores a breadth less traveled.
  • @H_J Always read the book first!
  • Except for 'Carrie,' which book is rubbish.
    Post edited by iuventus at 2013-09-10 08:08:45
  • i like a lady with red red hair..... :D
    Just Keep Things Simple.....
    Love Goldfrapp.....
  • Vesper said:

The most cinematic with Simone, yeah. I love Laurel too ! However, what the hell is Alison saying at 2:25 ???

Bump.

By the way I love this contrast on the lyrics : Looking for light, a golden light / Lying for lies, a golden lie. Genius !
    Post edited by Vesper at 2013-09-10 16:56:57
  • ^ Just before "fear is a fog"?

Isn't it just "Laurel you came here,  Laurel came here"

The Alison mumble-slur doesn't help! :)

Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2013-09-10 18:20:44
  • I can never rely on her damn printed lyrics!

:P
    Post edited by Joey at 2013-09-10 18:30:05
    I had a king in a tenement castle, lately he's taken to painting the pastel walls brown. He's taken the curtains down. He's swept with the broom of contempt, and the rooms have an empty ring. He's cleaned with the tears of an actor who fears for the laughter's sting...
  • Fell in love with laurel early on after the mif vid on youtube... alison herself shrouded in darkness as she cooed along side the strings, really breathtaking.. found myself replaying that vid more than the others.. actually im falling in love with the album all at once and this hasnt happened, not even with fm..
    Post edited by error60091 at 2013-09-11 01:54:39

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!