Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Who should remix the first single 'Drew'?
  • 96 Comments sorted by
  • Why are people against remixes? They don't change the official song, but merely expose it to different audiences that would miss it otherwise.

That being said, and I thought Goldfrapp fans themselves would expect this from their many different types of remixes, remixes don't necessarily mean house/dance remixes. Something like the mixes of Lovely Head, Utopia and Human would be fantastic. Choral versions, acoustic, and atmospheric remixes could all work as well. M83's remix of Black Cherry was great, so I'd like that for sure. No Fernando Garibay though, I tend to think his mixes are mostly poor. Maybe Little Loud.
    Post edited by UpOnThe101 at 2013-06-15 22:43:41
  • I don't understand why so many on here are against remixes, either. The remixes on Goldfrapp singles have been really good in comparison to many other artists. I don't even fear a dancy remix. Even ballads and slower paced songs can be reworked into convincing "disco" versions. I think about Tori Amos' Jackie's Strength Wedding Cake Mixes. If Goldfrapp wanted to release live versions they should put a live album out and keep singles for the purpose they really have: remixes, reworkings (maybe with additional vocal recordings by Goldfrapp or the reworker), acoustic versions and b-sides.

Post edited by Komet_16 at 2013-06-16 08:32:04
  • I'm not against remixes as such... We Are Glitter was a great idea and still enjoys regular play in the car.... Sometimes it feelslike unnecessary padding for single releases...
  • Agreed with a few of you on here, I don't want remixes that much. I would rather have some exclusive b-sides, even if they are just throw away tracks, I kinda miss that era. I miss the era of non album singles too, which I guess in a sense you could argue Melancholy Sky/Yellow Halo were that.

But hell if they wanna do some remixes I am OK with that, I just can't think who right now, it doesn't strike me as dance music material with this album, I've nothing against either way, would really though much prefer to have less focus on remixes with this album
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • Burial
    Fennesz/Tim Hecker
    tricky
    I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • If you listen to Felt Mountains remixes most aren't that terrible save for some Utopia mixes. If you listen to Seventh Trees remixes your ears bleed. That's because most of the re-mixers for FM had talent and contemplated the material and how best to play with it, whereas today it seems like slapping some generic house beat over an acapella track is totally acceptable regardless of the source material, and that's all you'll get on a single. It's horrible promotion to completely alter the mood and style of a track and pass that around. It's horrible to then charge the fans for that crap if they want to continue collecting.
  • If there are remixes I don't mind, so long as they're not at the expense of proper B-sides. I REALLY want a proper B-side.
    I quite liked the early days when Goldfrapp remixed their own stuff. I'd like it if they did that again.
  • Maybe not a Remix as such but more of a re-interpretation or even cover version by:

• iamamiwhoami
    • Flume
    • Grimes
    • Apparat
    • The National
    • Austra
    • Bear In Heaven
    • Son Lux
    • Burial
    • Elbow
    • Planningtorock
    • Animal Collective or Yeasayer (did a very good job last time)
    • Owen Pallet
    • The XX
    • David Lynch
    • Yann Tiersen
    • Philip Glass
    • Four Tet

Oh, and I like the idea of Davide doing another interpretation.

However, as stated before by someone else, I'm not sure if Remixes are appropriate at all for this album. 
    Can't really imagine right now...

I'd rather prefer some B-Sides this time to be honest, or how about only one more track on it with Alison talking about the things serving as inspirations for the song and the way of creating it, accompanied by some early demo versions of that song...?
    Be patient.
  • I'd like a remix by Richard X.

But I'd like some b-sides or Goldfrapp-made remixes/reinterpretation much more than any remix!
    Formerly known as alex_t.
  • im not against remixes myself either. and when i say remixes i mean the more dance oriented stuff, not the reworkings slightly odder mixes from felt mountain, because those actually worked.

tales of us just doesn't seem to have those songs where a conventional dance remix could be made? otherwise, if were talking reworking/odd style mix, then im all for it.

still want B-sides tho :p
  • rewak said:

If you listen to Felt Mountains remixes most aren't that terrible save for some Utopia mixes. If you listen to Seventh Trees remixes your ears bleed. That's because most of the re-mixers for FM had talent and contemplated the material and how best to play with it, whereas today it seems like slapping some generic house beat over an acapella track is totally acceptable regardless of the source material, and that's all you'll get on a single. It's horrible promotion to completely alter the mood and style of a track and pass that around. It's horrible to then charge the fans for that crap if they want to continue collecting.

Mmmm , its nothing to do with "talent" for the FM remixers , the remixers for FM were picked as they made remixes of the style that the either the band or Mute or Management wanted at that time (ie to analogise , they went to a toy shop and received toys) .
     Fast forward to today , the same holds true , if the management want a 4 on the floor , then they go to a 4 on the floor remixer , a dance remixer won`t be listening to the accapella and treat it `sympathetically to its roots` (ie to analogise again , you go to a toy shop and ask for a toy , they won`t give you a kebab) . Its not "horrible promotion" to completely alter its mood and style" , its just promotion - I`ll give you an example , I only got into Two Door Cinema Club via a dance remix and that`s how it works , that`s not an opinion , that`s just how it works .

"Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • That's the problem that the majority of you impetuously assume REMIX = DANCE. It's not.

Even a slightly different version of a song IS a remix.
    Genetically Enriched version of 'Utopia' is a remix.
    Pilots On A Star is a remix.
    Human Radio Mix is a remix.
    The list goes on.

Forgot to add my absolute favorite remixer to the wish list:

Goldfrapp
    Goldfrapp
    Goldfrapp
    Goldfrapp
    Goldfrapp
    Goldfrapp
    Goldfrapp
    Goldfrapp
    Goldfrapp
    Creator of Goldfrapp Jukebox, the most complete Goldfrapp music library on the Internet
  • Alan said:

That's the problem that the majority of you impetuously assume REMIX = DANCE. It's not.

The list goes on.

Goldfrapp
    Goldfrapp
    Goldfrapp
    Goldfrapp
    Goldfrapp
    Goldfrapp
    Goldfrapp
    Goldfrapp
    Goldfrapp

I wouldnt call those versions remixes I'd call them mixes..... They are all still true to the song...

• chokka said:

Alan said:

That's the problem that the majority of you impetuously assume REMIX = DANCE. It's not.

The list goes on.

Goldfrapp
    Goldfrapp
    Goldfrapp
    Goldfrapp
    Goldfrapp
    Goldfrapp
    Goldfrapp
    Goldfrapp
    Goldfrapp

I wouldnt call those versions remixes I'd call them mixes..... They are all still true to the song...

Any mix other than the original is a remix.
    Creator of Goldfrapp Jukebox, the most complete Goldfrapp music library on the Internet
  • rewak said:

If you listen to Felt Mountains remixes most aren't that terrible save for some Utopia mixes. If you listen to Seventh Trees remixes your ears bleed.

I disagree here. I really like most of the remixes of ST. Some were quite leftfield like the Animal Collective Remix of Little Bird which I liked very much. Do I remember correctly you found this particular one atrocious?
    :D

I agree with you on HF. Only a few good remixes. I listen to the Penguin Prison remix as I type and quite like it. The Cereal Spiller Remix of Alive also gave it a funny twist.

Post edited by Komet_16 at 2013-06-16 08:33:42

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!