Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Tales Of Us - The inspirations
  • 51 Comments sorted by
  • Cheers, this is great guys!
  • I like knowing the main inspirations, because my interpretations are always pessimistic or about loss. It's always great to find out what it actually means to Goldfrapp, rather than making up an entire different story and find out I got it all wrong.
    I told you how I felt the earth could move.
  • Someone called Phil just messaged me, saying that this song appears to use part of "Jo", it's pretty cool. Cheers Phil!

http://touch.dailymotion.com/#/video/x1hxks_jacques-brel-ces-gens-la_music
  • Hm, that link just takes me to the main Dailymotion page. Tried searching but couldn't find the song.
  • Pineapple said:

Hello! Do we know all the inspirations for the songs then?
    [updated]

Jo - a Jacques Brel song (Ces Gens La?)
    Annabel - 'Annabel' by Kathleen Winter
    Drew - a film, I think Alison mentioned it in an interview
    Ulla - Alison's trip to Iceland
    Avlar - Philomena Lee.....and Iceland
    Thea - ?
    Stranger - 'Carol' by Patricia Highsmith
    Simone - A film noir novel
    Laurel - 'In a lonely place' by Dorothy B Hughes
    Clay - The letter from 'letters of note' website

Thanks for the list, and people's updates/fill-ins... especially concerning 'Laurel' which is one of my favourites (at present). The only thing I specifically remember Alison mentioning (at MIF) regarding back-story was.. 'Simone' being about a woman who ends up in bed with her daughter's lover! As she said "It happens" Very funny. Do we know which novel? Film noir? Or has that description drifted over from the Laurel inspiration?

Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2013-09-09 16:31:22
  • Pineapple said:

'Simone' being about a woman who ends up in bed with her daughter's lover! As she said "It happens"  

isn't it the other way round? a girl who beds her mothers lover?  :O
  • ^ Whoops - yes, sorry!

Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2013-09-09 17:23:23
  • Sounds like Mildred Pierce. :)
    I had a king in a tenement castle, lately he's taken to painting the pastel walls brown. He's taken the curtains down. He's swept with the broom of contempt, and the rooms have an empty ring. He's cleaned with the tears of an actor who fears for the laughter's sting...
  • Oh how I love Joan Crawford!

The book was good, the film was amazing and the mini-series was not bad either, although I have a hard time seeing anyone (as much as I love Kate Winslet) other than Joan as Mildred.

I wonder if that is the actual story the song is based off?

hunter
  • Doea anyone else sense inspiration from Kate Bush's '50 Words for Snow'? The black&white aesthetic, the Winter motif, the mellow/melancholic mood (with the solitary upbeat, climactic movement)?
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • "Alvar” was inspired by a trip to Iceland and my obsession with water and myths and legends of Philomena Lee. I read a lot of noir books and I’m a huge fan of European cinema — all these things fed into the narrative of the music and also the narrative of the lyrics. I wanted to make something where each song felt like a little film.
    "The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look on the murder of men." - Leonardo da Vinci

FACEBOOK - https://www.facebook.com/howard.trigg
    INSTAGRAM - https://www.instagram.com/howiet1971/
  • Watching again the tales of us trailer I dare say the remaining films are Jo, Clay and Laurel. Because those are the names on the first half of the video, as if they came on a package and we see a clip of Jo, and then a hand seals it as Tales of Us and then the other names come really quick, the exception is Drew, wich we know has a film, and if it it is like this it's fine, but, didn't they say EVERY song in the album would have a film? I feel deceived, every song desserves one and I think it could be done. I hope they change their minds later on. Stranger is glorious. Thea would make a great film with phantom horses running around to the beat yeah?

• Watching again the tales of us trailer I dare say the remaining films are Jo, Clay and Laurel. Because those are the names on the first half of the video, as if they came on a package and we see a clip of Jo, and then a hand seals it as Tales of Us and then the other names come really quick, the exception is Drew, wich we know has a film, and if it it is like this it's fine, but, didn't they say EVERY song in the album would have a film? I feel deceived, every song desserves one and I think it could be done. I hope they change their minds later on. Stranger is glorious. Thea would make a great film with phantom horses running around to the beat yeah?

Totally agree, after Drew I was hoping there'll be films for all the other songs...

Interesting connection you make between the stamps in the original trailer and the sequence of films they plan to make... but, if I remember right, AdamChineseSymbol mentioned in another thread about Ms. Gunning's interpretation of Stranger, which means that will also be a film??

Anyhow, wouldn't mind waiting for film versions of the rest of tales.
  • Well I should be glad if there were a film for stranger and it was the closing one! Stranger, I will, never know... to be the final lines of the film would be such a cliffhanger!, And yeah, hope they make up their minds and keep on producing films, I mean, we don´t expect them tomorrow... on the course of the TOU tour would be nice...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!