Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
'Tales of Us' review in the Guardian
  • just read the guardians review 3 out of five apparently,saying the album has a particular quality as a whole album buts lacks outstanding stand alone tracks. well im not quite sure what particular record he listened to,but I don't think it the same one im hearing,drew,ulla ,stranger I could go on,god only knows you get the feeling sometimes the review written before the record even heard,as for the nme ,im 46 and never once paid attention to a bunch of transient,egotist,ill informed bunch of dicks,amazing how these people seem to retain a voice thru generations
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2013-09-08 10:15:32
  • 12 Comments sorted by
  • I know how you feel but don't think we should be too hard on the reviewer as they only have time to listen to an album once or twice. You can only get a first impression then - it takes me 5 to 10 spins to get into a complex album and tell whether it's really good.
  • That's not true Novalasing. The album was released to the press quite some time ago.
    If you're only listening to it once or twice as a reviewer then you're not taking your job sersiously imho.
    Post edited by Dreeke at 2013-09-08 09:59:57
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • I posted another review from the guardian that was published today (see TOU PRESS REVIEWS thread) and it got 4 stars there.
    Be patient.
  • At least they didn't hate it, it could be worse I guess?
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • Perhaps, the reviewer simply has different taste and expectations than we do.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • I saw in the Culture section of today's Sunday Times that Tales Of Us got their Dud Of The Week label....saying 'if you've been with the band from the beginning you may be pleased to discover they have returned to the slow, soft ambient sounds of their debut album, but for fans who came on board during their glam-rock and electr-pop periods it may prove a tryingand rather samey listen. It may be pretty but the tracks don't grab your attention and they refuse to grow on you with further listens'.
  • Wow.
    I had a king in a tenement castle, lately he's taken to painting the pastel walls brown. He's taken the curtains down. He's swept with the broom of contempt, and the rooms have an empty ring. He's cleaned with the tears of an actor who fears for the laughter's sting...
  • In the Sunday times dumb opinion.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • In different words, the same review might have been flattering. Again: perspective. In 1993, I read what was supposed to be an unflattering review of Cocteau Twins' Four-Calendar Café; it made me even more eager than I already was. The reviewer above simply wasn't as creative...
    Post edited by iuventus at 2013-09-19 21:04:37
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Hi everyone,

Today the Belgian magazine “Humo” published a review on Tales of us. They gave TOU a ranking of 3.5 out of 4 points. That´s pretty good, I guess.
    Below is the text that accompanies the ranking. It is a rather shitty Google-translation from Dutch to English, which I may have made even shittier at some points, but well, you´ll get the point.

The original text (in Dutch) can be found on: http://www.humo.be/cd-reviews/255911/goldfrapp-tales-of-us

P.S. all Belgian fans should go to the Ancienne Belgique on the 22nd of october, of course...

Translation of the Belgian review:

Two people in their forties, of which the male half, Will Gregory, is anything but photogenic and the female - Alison Goldfrapp – doesn´t allow anyone to tell her what to do: Goldfrapp in itself is a bizarre triumph, but with their sixth album they achieved an unprecedented performance.

As follow up on album number four, 'Seventh Tree' (my favourite so far) they have now cast away all nylon, neon, plastic and synths on 'Tales of Us'. What remains are ten moving songs, of which almost all have a woman's name as title, and which were inspired by a novel character  or a movie character.

It seems like Alison Goldfrapp has thrown away all her shyness together with her glitter cape: never before was her voice - stripped of all effects- able to effect an almost physical reaction. That finale of 'Annabel' does it every time again: sadness as a force of nature.

Liquid love is decanted in 'Jo', 'Drew', 'Alvar', 'Ulla' and especially the final song 'Clay', a song that Alison wrote after reading a letter from a soldier who had been in love with a companion / lover.

The album cuts deep, and then there's the short film project that Alison made, along with her companion Lisa Gunning. If that little boy in the video for 'Annabel' receives that dress as a gift: tears, every time again.

• I could not think of a better sentance to describe the NME jase :D
  • gelukkig is het wel een positieve review, maar verder is de lolbroek weer stevig dichtgesnoerd....
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!