Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Tales Of Us - The inspirations
  • Hello! Do we know all the inspirations for the songs then?

Jo-?
    Annabel- Annabel by Kathleen Winter
    Ulla- Alison's trip to Iceland
    Drew- a film, I think Alison mentioned it in an interview
    Avlar-?
    Thea?
    Stranger-Patricia Highsmith Carol
    Simone- A film noir novel
    Laurel- In a lonely place Dorothy B Hughes
    Clay- The letter from letters of note website

I think most of this is correct. Also, do we know which ones have films? I think Jo, Drew and Annabel so far, so that just leaves two....
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2013-09-09 16:32:08
  • 51 Comments sorted by
  • Jo is inspired by a Jaques Brel song, that's what A said in the independent interview (in the interviews thread). Apparently they wrote to the Brel estate to let them know. I dunno which song though, any ideas anyone??
  • Alvar was inspired by the story of Philomena Lee.....and Iceland.

Alison told us this during the MIF gigs...
  • ping said:

Jo is inspired by a Jaques Brel song, that's what A said in the independent interview (in the interviews thread). Apparently they wrote to the Brel estate to let them know. I dunno which song though, any ideas anyone??

Perhaps this...

Post edited by iuventus at 2013-09-08 04:51:04
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Nope. Jojo (aka Georges Pasquier) was his driver, manager and confidant, but also his closest friend. This song you posted is a tribute to his untimely death. I don't think Alison took her inspirations there for Jo ?!
  • Why not?
  • Because the two songs don't match.
  • Hmmm I wondered if she meant the inspiration was musical or lyrical? Or both? I don't know any where near enough about Brel to guess a song.
  • Well, Jo is certainly about someone who has died.
  • "Hair swept out into the water ripples of black."

It's about a murder, IMO.
  • ping said:

Hmmm I wondered if she meant the inspiration was musical or lyrical? Or both? I don't know any where near enough about Brel to guess a song.

And artistic inspiration is often rather vague in how it is perceived.
  • ^ yeah for sure, I can be more about a feeling and not necessarily 'we nicked your guitar riff' kinda thing
  • Brel song sounds more like Annabel (guitar arpeggios)

• ^ maybe, it's just that Alison said Jo was inspired by Brel.
  • It could mean anything really. Alison's lyrics aren't particularly clear from a literary perspective. Nor can we judge intent based on our very biased interpretations.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!