Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • I'll start:

NYC
    Post edited by Alan at 2013-06-20 14:18:45
    Creator of Goldfrapp Jukebox, the most complete Goldfrapp music library on the Internet
  • 77 Comments sorted by
  • Essex, originally.
    Now happily residing in south London, via some years in America, university back in UK in Winchester and some years in Brighton.
    not ashamed about the Essex thing BTW. but London all the way for me now!
  • Is Essex like Texas shame-wise? The reason I ask is you said you weren't ashamed about it. Just curious.
    Creator of Goldfrapp Jukebox, the most complete Goldfrapp music library on the Internet
  • Haha, it has a certain ... Reputation... In the UK. Ever heard the expression 'chav' ? ;)
  • No, never heard. But looked it up just now. I see.
  • (I'm not one by the way. And I do like to let the world know that Essex didn't only breed the stereotype) ;) haha.
  • I thought you were. Good to know you're not. ;)
    Post edited by Alan at 2013-06-15 16:52:05
  • staffordshire, but currently living in nottingham.
  • Nice idea, Alan

I really liked Laura's thoroughness about it (which makes it better than a profile), so

(Almost all in the U.S., except for the obvious)

Grew up in Michican, Nebraska, Louisiana (still considered home)
    Lived in Maine, Louisiana, North Carolina, Maine, Tokyo, and Maine

Sorta lived in Allentown (yeah, same as the famous song)

Real struggle between Maine and Louisiana but I won't be a snowbird, for sure.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2013-06-16 09:13:41
  • Nice idea, Alan

I really liked Laura's thoroughness about it (which makes it better than a profile), so

(Almost all in the U.S., except for the obvious)

Grew up in Michican, Nebraska, Louisiana (still considered home)
    Lived in Maine, Louisiana, North Carolina, Maine, Tokyo, and Maine

Sorta lived in Allentown (yeah, same as the famous song)

Real struggle between Maine and Louisiana but I won't be a snowbird, for sure.

Interesting road map. Where do you live now? (if you don't mind telling)

I'm a Japanophile. Were you there on business? How long did you live there? Tell me more. I'm so curious.

ありがとうございます。
  • Shropshire lad by birth but last 13 years or so up in the north-east a quick Metro ride from the Newcastle/Tyne/Gateshead expanse. 20mins in any direction gets me into the city, out to the coast or into the countryside. Bliss.

Everybody goes on about how great the people are up here and I can confirm that. Having lived here now for a while I'd be loathe to imagine moving anywhere else.
    Post edited by The_Carpathian at 2013-06-16 10:04:52
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • Upstate NY. 
  • I live in Hattingen, a nice little medieval town at the river Ruhr in the Ruhr area in West Germany. Really enjoyed living there for almost two years but I'll move back to Kassel soon where I was born. I got a good job there and I have my family near me again. It will be quite a change. In Hattingen I had so many big cities near me like Dortmund, Bochum, Essen, Wuppertal, Düsseldorf just to name a few and little Hattingen being quite in the middle of everything in the beautiful landscape. The next big city is quite far away from Kassel.

The old lower marketplace of Hattingen:

Post edited by Komet_16 at 2013-06-16 10:10:46
  • Live in the outskirts of Cardiff , a stones throw from here . Lived in Oxfordshire for a time but couldn`t afford a house there , so moved to Wales . I like the feeling of living as part of a big city but not being in the crush of it . I used to live in a one horse town where the horse had been shot , so living somewhere with a sense of scale is for me. Being a University town stops the "You`re not from around these parts stranger" when you go into pubs .

"Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"

• Sorta lived in Allentown (yeah, same as the famous song)

I lived in the Allentown/Bethlehem area for three years in my mid-twenties.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Alan said:

Where do you live now? (if you don't mind telling)

I'm a Japanophile. Were you there on business? How long did you live there? Tell me more. I'm so curious.

ありがとうございます。

Wow!  You're really good at Google Trnaslate or you're a REAL Japnophile, Alan..  Never learned much of the language (though I can Google translate!) except great little phrases, like
    "Asa Meishi Maie", which means "Befoer breakfast" and translates as
    "Piece of cake".  Great culture.  I avoided the language because I
    needed my guys to communicate drectly with the U.S. more.  I hate to go on, but I can't resist ever telling the supposed greeting phrase and response in Osaka (kinda the heart of the business world in Japan).  The greeting is, supposedly, "Mo Kari Maka", which means "How is your income?" and the only acceptable response is "Bochi Bochi Dena" which means "So-so", whether you made or lost a billion dollars that day.  Cracks me up, every time.  Of course, I could have been having my leg pulled, as well.

I was there for six years in business.  Yeah, I'm in Maine, now.

I'm envious, Komet_16.  A small, midieval town sounds lovely and picturesque as confirmed by your picture.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2013-06-16 13:04:22

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!