Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 1299 Comments sorted by
  • Slick!

Hmmm, that only seems to work if they've posted.  I can't find anywhere else that their name links.  Nope, never mind, it works on the activity board, also.  Brilliant!
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2013-08-11 19:59:42
  •  Just to remind you up to 40 spammers were joining each day , the figures are a bit slewed . Not that it matters unless you`re using the statistics to take over the world or something like that ;)

There aren`t so many commenting here (as noted above) , a lull before the storm perhaps ? each person has certain threads or side interests that make them post , there certainly seems to be a reluctance to post or start new threads , others post and persons sit around waiting to be entertained ?

I`ve taken a step back amidst a reflective muse this last week on the forum , yes a right ponder with my elbow on my knee and hand scratching the OAP badger of a beard I currently have . The board is failing to interest me somewhat recently , after I saw something its hard not to see it more than I`d like , anywhat , we`ll see what the next few weeks bring . 

um...discuss (the question marked bits)

Post edited by Sartori at 2013-08-11 21:08:40
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • I asked earlier, what identifies a spammer on the activity list?

Never been into world domination.  I can't even dominate stuffed animals...
  • "Take a look at my page" style profiles etc , randomly typed in names etc

"Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • jozzy81 said:

THE 3 MOST IMPORTANT THINGS IN LIFE....
    1. WATER / DRINK.....
    2. FOOD.....
    & FINALLY
    3. GOLDFRAPP..... :D

I'd like to see sex in that list, not only is it very nice but its useful for the reproduction of the human race. :P

Add Liverpool FC to that list.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • Sartori said:

Just to remind you up to 40 spammers were joining each day , the figures are a bit slewed . Not that it matters unless you`re using the statistics to take over the world or something like that ;)

There aren`t so many commenting here (as noted above) , a lull before the storm perhaps ? each person has certain threads or side interests that make them post , there certainly seems to be a reluctance to post or start new threads , others post and persons sit around waiting to be entertained ?

Here are the statistics (comments and new-users), in chart form - for the past 2 months. The surge in new members is not good, if they are mostly spammers... which the activity list seems to indicate! At least we now have the power to delete users, and not just posts.

charts_12_Aug.jpg
    1413 x 735 - 273K
  • I don't buy it.  The ones that are totally random letters, sure.  But, anyone on their right mind with the slightest bit of paranoia and any aversion to getting their email address slammed with spam is going to have a bit of an odd address.  At least anyone with imagination will do something besides george123.  And, I would expect that Goldfrappers tend to have a great deal of imagination.  Even though gmail spam tends to go to spam, it annoys me greatly.  I've tried filtering but that doesn't seem to work on spam.  The members that refer people to their a website or blog or something...I'm not sure.  Everybody wants to be known, right?

Besides, 40 a day would be more than there are members...

Thanks for the stats, HJ.  Makes me want to add to the list of fixes....
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2013-08-12 07:35:27
  • I don't buy it.  The ones that are totally random letters, sure.  But, anyone on their right mind with the slightest bit of paranoia and any aversion to getting their email address slammed with spam is going to have a bit of an odd address.  At least anyone with imagination will do something besides george123.  And, I would expect that Goldfrappers tend to have a great deal of imagination.  Even though gmail spam tends to go to spam, it annoys me greatly.  I've tried filtering but that doesn't seem to work on spam.  The members that refer people to their a website or blog or something...I'm not sure.  Everybody wants to be known, right?

Ah well , that`s my 20 years experience online down the shitter . They`re real members yup , fo sure . You asked a question , I answered , if you wish to have an answer you like , ask for an answer you like .
    I dare you to click on those links in their profiles ....go on , go on , go on I dare you . 

I recall saying the words "UP TO".
    Post edited by Sartori at 2013-08-12 08:06:20

WW, I don't understand why you are mentioning e-mail addresses? In the activity log, for example, all you see is the user-name and, sometimes ... a link that's labelled... "please visit my site/blog".

You can be 99.99% sure all of those with such links are spambots. As for the user-names, they are not a sure-fire spam-flag, it's true. But basically, I'd agree with Sartori's view.

BTW, myself and Carpy have (so far) only been deleting members who have actually posted spam. But we should maybe be more proactive.

• post spam. get deleted. seems fair.

until we get sidelined by the uber spam bot.

it could happen kids, it could happen
    "its MY favourite song"
  • That's actually what I was expecting to hear.  That the ones that join just for the sake of putting their links are spam.  And, you're right, about the email address.  It's just that a spambot seems like it would just use random letters.  I guess that is different from a spammer.

Apologies, Sartori.  If you had added the point about the link, I would have bought it more completely. 

If all of that is true (somewhere slilghtly south of 40), then there are very few real members and that is a bit disconcerting to me.  The fact is, I guess, I just really don't want to believe that this board is mostly populated by spammers.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2013-08-12 12:26:48
  • bring back mirror
    "its MY favourite song"
  • tweety said:

bring back mirror

groan
  • okay. bring back Alan ;)
    "its MY favourite song"
  • How well versed would you say you are in internet, whickwithy? 'cos your posts come across as someone who has no idea how spam and spambots works.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!