Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 28 Comments sorted by
  • That really sounds like a trick question... W ;)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • You mean like...

A duck walks into a bar and asks, "Got any grapes?"

The bartender, confused, tells the duck no. The duck thanks him and leaves.

The next day, the duck returns and asks, "Got any grapes?"

Again,
    the bartender tells him, "No -- the bar does not serve grapes, has
    never served grapes and, furthermore, will never serve grapes." The duck
    thanks him and leaves.

The next day, the duck returns, but
    before he can say anything, the bartender yells, "Listen, duck! This is a
    bar! We do not serve grapes! If you ask for grapes again, I will nail
    your stupid duck beak to the bar!"

The duck is silent for a moment, and then asks, "Got any nails?"

Confused, the bartender says no.

"Good!" says the duck. "Got any grapes?"
  • tvpatrol said:

Being a music obsessive

Any genre?

Mostly electronic /indie electro / dance but so many artist traverse the whole genre thing, I wouldn't exclude them just because it was accoustic or indie.

I'm currently obsorbing all things Bowie (yes I am late to the party but I'm only 26 so give me a few years catch up) : ) but I'll listen to classical, opera, jazz, as long as they have great voices and are good storytellers. i.e , Cole Porter, Joni, Bob Dylan, Velvet Underground, Nico.

And also a big fan of film scores, so composers like John Williams, John Barry, Morricone, (Will) ;) I pick up quite a few new artists from films.

How about other's on the board? Which genres do you all gravitate to?

• tvpatrol said:

Electronica: Jean Michel Jarre, Depeche Mode, Mesh, Recoil, Roysksopp, Client, Little Boots, Bjork, Vangelis, Hybrid, Boards of Canada, LFO (from the 1990's - not the American band who stole the name), Tangerine Dream, Covenant, Thomas Dolby, Sasha/Digweed/Oakenfold/Orbital.

The Bristol Sound: Massive Attack, Portishead

Pop: French pop icon "Mylene Farmer".  My guilty pleasures also hide in this genre with some current chart music, Eurovision and lots and lots of 80's stuff.

Classical & Soundtrack: Mainly contemporary film soundtracks such as Star Wars and Game of Thrones.

Comedy: John Shuttleworth
    Post edited by mode_devotion at 2013-08-01 18:21:29
    Though we may deserve it, it will be worth it.
  • tvpatrol said:

Which genres do you all gravitate to?

Anything and everything, including Country.  Yikes!  I am just really discovering classical and going through a major upheaval concerning it.  I had this feeling like Classical had to be special and, yet, it's still just one note played after another and various instruments doing their own thing in 'concert' with the others.  But, just like any other genre, there are songs that are head and shoulders better than anything else in the genre.  And, that is what I search for.  The ones that just knock my socks off.  My playlist will go from Bach to Rolling Stones to Faith Hill to Goldfrapp to Van Morrison to Ithika (escape from LA).
  • for discovering music new to me the youtube recommendation sidebar is great tbh - just start with something i know i like then click on random things that seem interesting
    tvpatrol said:

electronic, pop, and hip-hop generally
  • Check out the NOISE segment from vice magazine for stunning new sounds and vids. They also featured Drew lately.

Again pitchfork.com is a very good source for new sounds.

And not to forget hypemachine as well as earmilk.com

Last but not least you could visit the Facebook pages of music mags like Clash.
    Be patient.
  • I actually find a lot using Shazam whilst watching tv ;0
    Tears just started over you but I'm not over you...
    www.myspace.com/queenadreenauk
  • If you like electronic music in any form I'd absolutely recommend Boomkat - yes, it's a shop and it wants to sell you things but browsing around on there and its themed sister-site 14tracks.com turns up some serious stuff.
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • Asda, Tesco if i am very keen on the artist. CEX if i wait for them to be reduced.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • cw36frapp said:

Asda, Tesco if i am very keen on the artist. CEX if i wait for them to be reduced.

Surely that's where you go for established music? Where do you go to find acts you'd not heard of before etc?

Always curious as always interested what's out there!
  • Thanks for the recc Carp
    Tears just started over you but I'm not over you...
    www.myspace.com/queenadreenauk
  • Jude said:

Thanks for the recc Carp

If you mean for the Boomkat link then don't be so quick - that place has cost me a bloomin' fortune over time! :))

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!