Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
(leak talk in this thread)
  • 619 Comments sorted by
  • Dreeke said:

Anyone who just downloads this crappy leak of the album might not know that the iffy sound quality is caused by the compression, etc.

How would you feel if you're an artist counting down the days to your very first exhibition and suddenly you find out that out of the blue someone has already opened up a gallery (free entrance) with cheap photocopies of your work, but claiming it's the real thing....

On the other hand, loads of kids these days are listening to crappy overcompressed downloads/leaks.
    Maybe they've just stopped caring altogether.

Good analogy Dreeke, and one where I agree with you. I'm not happy about the leak taking place or the misrepresentation of the quality of the work and production.

However, on your second point - maybe we're at the cross-over point where crappy over-compressed downloads are the norm, and so kids and leakers may well not care - how else would mp3 be the near-default format?

If the leak is watermarked, as suggested upthread, then I hope the leaker gets traced and fired. We can all speculate about the motive but if you're in a business where there are long leadin times and press embargoes, then you need to learn the basics of how your business works.
  • Don`t come to me for sympathy , you`re all on the naughty step . I'm still sat in my fucking pants waiting for the official release, I'm out of rum and down to the 30 year old sloe gin. SOS from Robs kidneys.
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • Sure glad most of this leak stuff is buried in one thread...
  • By the way, I think the point about the sound/music overcoming sound quality, at least for me (don't want to step on anyone's toes), is that it shouldn't affect sales drastically.  As further evidence, this leak stuff, from what I understand, rages along every time Goldfrapp introduces a new album and, yet, the are comfortably successful.  I guess I don't need to reiterate, but will anyways, that I think they deserve so much more but I don't think lack of leaks is going to do the trick.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2013-07-30 13:46:20
  • If you're a tight arse and were never going to buy the album, I'm over the moon that you have a Shit copy of album .
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • Meanwhile over in the real world, I'm selling this thread as a movie concept, I'm blagging Brad Pitt as me, a one man Grrr Machine. It'll be like Starship Troopers 2 , full of overacting and over reacting, minimal storyline, shit script and people feeling dirty (not in a gooooood way) for even being in it.
  • Sparky said:

Ok get some perspective. It's not like this leak thing hasn't happened before. And the babies comment is deeply offensive on so many levels: anyone who equates the theft of music to sexual assault needs a medication review.

Ok, again: I apologize for offending anyone with the 'babies' comment.
    I wasn't trying to compare theft of music to sexual assault.
    Not at all.
    Musicians often call their songs, their 'babies'. I thought the analogy was clear and well known. (Boy I was wrong...)
    I also shouldn't have used the word 'rape' but maybe 'mutilate' would've been a better choice of words.
    Then I'm still not comparing destroying the sound quality of a song to actually mutilating babies.

I do however agree that anyone who equates theft of music to sexual assault needs a medication review.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • I thought the analogy was clear...
  • I reckon that those of us that have the leak are hardcore fans (people that are not would not randomly stumble over it i.m.o) that will buy it in multiple formats, plus see them on tour several times.

I do think that the promotion for this album had been very odd, timing-wise. According to my Facebook that first picture of the TOU photoshoot was released back in February (5 months ago, 7 months before the album release...) plus they have released a video, have performed the entire album live and some songs in follow up concerts... But it's still 6 weeks before the album is released. It should have been released on the back of tbe hype, I hope that another short film is released before the album is out to keep some momentum/hype/enthusiasm going to give early sales a boost... I'm not quite sure what the wait is for ATM...
  • I gotta be honest, I'm not warming to this album at the moment.  It's more Felt Mountain than Seventh Tree, but just not as interesting (I love FM and ST).  I love a couple of tracks and 'like' the rest.  I am hoping they'll grow on me.  I always buy the hard copy so quality may be slightly better but thats not going to make a huge change to my opinion.
    "The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look on the murder of men." - Leonardo da Vinci

FACEBOOK - https://www.facebook.com/howard.trigg
    INSTAGRAM - https://www.instagram.com/howiet1971/
  • I had that with Head First: I never could get into that album with the exception of two songs that I thought were alright. With this one though I never even skip a track. I play it back to back and always think damn is it already the end: again!! I can't wait for the box (and the wavs release for box owners on the release date of the album). It's always a matter of taste. I hardly listen to their more electronic based albums so this was a welcome album for me. I love it. I really do.
    “Beware of artists. They mix with all classes of society and are therefore most dangerous." — Queen Victoria
  • yes yes
    "its MY favourite song"
  • Stranger said:

With this one though I never even skip a track. I play it back to back and always think damn is it already the end: again!!

TOU is their longest album so far, it feels like time stops while I'm listening to it, but it's going so fast on another hand ?! And yes, I never skip any track, compared to some other albums when one or two songs don't really catch me. God knows how much I loved 7th Tree but I never liked Some People and Monster Love much (sorry for those who love these songs), even if they are good songs. TOU is both dreamy and real, you can find so many different emotions in it... I still look forward to learning about Alison's inspirations.
    Post edited by Vesper at 2013-08-01 10:06:04
  • Someone posted the Strangers single on youtube.... it'd probably be taken down soon.....

• Oh yeah, this whole album is looking like it will go straight onto every one of my favorite playlists untouched......as soon as the CD becomes available.  Can't wait...well, I can, just don't want to! 
    :D

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!