Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Felt Mountain - best to worst
  • 45 Comments sorted by
  • Joey said:I usually go track by track and decide if I like that song better than the one after it and so on.

Heuristically that wouldn't work, as you wouldn't have cross-comparison between tracks that aren't
    sequential.

If you graphed it as a line graph, you could end up with 5 tracks in joint first place, and 5 in joint second if you're really unlucky.

I know you guys are trying to explain but I'm still at the quantification part*

I mean are these lists absolute? Do they fluctuate with time, mood, presence? Music appreciation is surely too fluidic?
    *Kiyu ordered a cheese & dictionary pizza from dominos just now. FYI.
  • @Kiyuri Mine tend to fluctuate, especially if I play the initial single release to death before the album release. Desperately trying not to do that with Drew.
    Though we may deserve it, it will be worth it.
  • No they aren't absolute. Mine change frequently...
  • basing this solely on my memory of the # of plays...

1. Lovely Head

2. Utopia

3. Pilots

4. Horse Tears

5. Paper Bag

6. Oompa Radar

7. Deer Stop

8. Human

9. Felt Mountain

• 1/ Utopia
    2/ Deer Stop
    3/ Lovely head
    4/ Pilots
    5/ Human
    6/ Horse Tears
    7/ Paper Bag
    8/ Felt Mountain
    9/ Oompa Radar
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • 1. Utopia
    2. Pilots
    3. Oompa Radar
    4. Felt Mountain
    5. Horse Tears
    6. Paper Bag
    7. Human
    8. Lovely Head
    9. Deer Stop
    ISOBEL
  • isobel said:

1. Utopia
    2. Pilots
    3. Oompa Radar
    4. Felt Mountain
    5. Horse Tears
    6. Paper Bag
    7. Human
    8. Lovely Head
    9. Deer Stop

deer stop worst???????? gasp ;)
  • Yeah.

Ive got an idea for a thread in the spirit of these ones.

"Your children - best to worst"
  • ^ ha! I expect there's more than a few people out there that could do that ok!
  • Hi, I'm new to these forums. Really pleased I discovered this place.

Re Felt Mountain "best to worst", well since Felt Mountain is one of my favourite albums ever, it is almost impossible to think of anything on it that could fall into the "worst" category. But this is how I would rank the tracks on it:

1. Deer Stop [10/10]
    2. Lovely Head [10/10]
    3. Pilots [10/10]
    4. Paper Bag [9/10]
    5. Horses Tears [9/10]
    6. Utopia [9/10]
    7. Human [9/10]
    8. Felt Mountain [8/10]
    9. Oompa Radar [6/10]

I used to struggle with Oompa Radar. For years I thought that it spoiled the album, that it was the only weak point on it. However over the years I have grown to like it. I am now inclined to think that it suites the album. For me there is something humorous about it; a bit of fun.
    Post edited by Archway at 2013-08-23 14:05:31
    I hope that you die in a decent pair of shoes
    You got a lot more walking to do where you're going to.

• 1. Deer Stop. I love every single nuance in this song. The strings, the different vocal effects, every piano stroke...one my favorite songs ever.

That is exactly how I feel about it. I often think it is my favourite song of all time. Even after all the years, I still get the chills when I listen to it.
    I hope that you die in a decent pair of shoes
    You got a lot more walking to do where you're going to.
  • Deer Stop was my first "favorite" Goldfrapp song. It was the song on the album at the end of playing it for it's debut spin in my life that I immediately gravitated to. It really is a perfect piece of art (IMO).

After living with Felt Mountain for the last 13 years I'm better equipped to make the "favorite" call, as it were, and it has to be Paper Bag although coming in right on it's heals in a big old tie for second place is Deer Stop, Horse Tears, Utopia, Lovely Head, Pilots and Human (hehe).

And just a little behind second place is Felt Mountain and Oompa Radar although I must admit that I have two Felt Mountain playlists and one of them has the Miss World and New Ears remixes replacing Oompa Radar since Oompa Radar can be a bit scary and out of place for my late night, melancholic and lonely mood which is when I usually play this album.

Still, Felt Mountain is for me, a flawless album and in my top five ever.
  • 01. Utopia
    02. Lovely Head
    03. Deer Stop
    04. Pilots
    05. Human
    06. Horse Tears
    07. Paper Bag
    08. Felt Mountain
    09. Oompa Radar

Damn, it was hard and I'm not convinced at all.
  • Deer Stop is probably my favourite.
  • Yay! Deer Stop ftw!

Nice to see it getting so much love.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!