Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  •  As a few of us pray there , they announced a few dates this morning - I expect a sell out afaf , tickets on Sale Friday 0900 . Bush here I come , with a woot and a smile .

We're psyched to announce some new UK shows! The mailing list pre-sale kicks off this Wednesday so sign up now if you haven't alreadyhttp://chvrch.es/. Support on all dates comes from THUMPERS

10 Oct - ABC, Glasgow 
    12 Oct - Leadmill, Sheffield
    14 Oct - Ritz, Manchester
    15 Oct - Anson Rooms, Bristol
    17 Oct - Shepherds Bush Empire, London
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-08-04 16:37:27
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • 12 Comments sorted by
  • Tempting, but i am strapped for cash....
  • They're playing the Melkweg in Amsterdam on 22/10. That's exactly one day after Goldfrapp in Paradiso...

Very much tempted to go.
    Saw them again about a week ago and just love their sound.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • I wasn't blown away by what I heard of Chvrches so far, but have a lot
    of admiration for Lauren Mayberry for taking a stand against the
    misogynistic bullshit she has to put up with
    http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2013/sep/30/chvrches-lauren-mayberry-online-misogyny
    I wish more guys paid attention to stuff like this really, it's only right these opinions are expressed and acted upon, maybe I'll grow to like the band more now LOL
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • I get their FB feed, Im embarassed for my sex for some of those emails/tweets. It goes a bus ride past banter.
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • Yeah, we have such a long way to go as a species don't we :((
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • Wasn't there a link to some free mp3's, I wouldn't mind giving this band a chance ;)

It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • I've listened to a few tracks by them and rate them :). They've soared in my estimation now tho following that article. She is clearly an intelligent and passionate woman and she's done well to bring this subject into the forum.
  • Agree, she's very articulate. Dead cheesed off I missed their tour* for this record, but hey! next time. Looking forward to that.

* The number of times I've thought said or posted that this year. I could have a whole Failed Gigs Diary...
  • A friend bought me a ticket- I haven't heard much of them. Great show tonight! It was her birthday and we (the audience) all sang Happy Birthday to her. She's very cute and funny. We danced the night away- nice deep bass.
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • What do you think of the new album then? I think it's great, it will be playing in my car for the next month or so! My only criticism is that, much as I like LM,s voice, I think most of the tracks need instrumental passages in them...the pace and her voice are a bit too continuous. It was the same with TBOWYB. I'm hearing a bit of Depeche Mode in the opening to Clearest Blue... But hey! It's great!
  • Loving the new album. The synths are hard, crunchy and remind me of skittles, for some reason (and no, I don't know why). 

My only complaint is the inclusion of the male vocalist (whose name escapes me at the moment) on certain tracks. With LM, there's a unique, siren-like soundscape formed with her vocals. I find that including the male vocalist on one or two songs detracts from the experience, though this is out of no disrespect to him and I respect the intention of adding different vocals to change things up. But think of it as if Will suddenly started singing on a Goldfrapp song while we were expecting the hauntingly beautiful, lush vocals of Alison - though personally, I'd freak out joyfully if that ever transpired. Perhaps this guy's voice just irritates me, or I feel as if it intrudes too much. Again, nothing personal. 

Though one thing that I simply cannot stand is the intro of "Playing Dead". I can't even listen to the song because of the sheer ridiculousness of the gogogogo or dohdohdohdoh or whichever it is at the beginning and after each chorus. There's a couple songs with openings and elements like this that add literally nothing to the soundscape in my opinion, but I still adore the album nontheless.

And can we fangirl together over how GOOD "Bury It" Is? Those synths. Oh my gentle Jesus. Headbanger.
    Post edited by Slippage at 2016-01-12 18:41:20

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!