Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
`Tales Of Us` - Reviews By Us
  • 179 Comments sorted by
  • I think that the only sell-out was in nearly disavowing Head First based on the trite criticisms of bitter suffering artists. It was clearly an homage to an era in music, yet one that reached beyond copying the 80s, as it drew the electronic influences of the decade's pop music into the vast arena of the experimental--almost an homage to an homage to an homage. I'd love to see Alison stand up, at last, and say, "Yeah, we made it, and it was great, you fucking cow!"
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Oh, and to keep on topic, I'm totally lost in Tales of Us. If you don't like it, you can fuck off and suck big black-and-blue Zombie cock!
  • I don't think some people realize what the term sell-out is really about. Making an album to please a part of your fan base (and that is not what they did, but are being accused of), is not a sell-out. Making an album to please a record company and maximize sales by buying into the latest hit sound, that is a sell-out. Head First came out at a time when there was a revival of synth-pop, and with probable pressure from a record company, Goldfrapp jumped on the bandwagon. I'm confused actually, that people are unsble to see the difference between selling out, and artistic integrity.

I read elsewhere that La_Caralina has not really liked anything that Goldfrapp has done since Felt Mountain. So the logical question is, why bother listening to Goldfrapp if in your mind they have no artistic integrity, considering they work within the realm of the music industry? Personally, I love two Goldfrapp albums and like one. That is half of their backcatalogue. The other half is so-so for me, but that doesn't mean I think they have no artistic integrity at this stage.

I hope that you die in a decent pair of shoes
    You got a lot more walking to do where you're going to.
  • Neither "sell-out" nor "artistic integrity" is a clinical term really; nor are they particularly coined phrases. I think one should feel free to use them as one will. Just bang on out of here if your only purpose is to ridicule & insult the artists or to stir up trouble amongst those who cherish them. In other words, go flex your cock muscle somewhere else!
    Post edited by iuventus at 2013-09-18 02:11:10
  • iuventus said:

Oh, and to keep on topic, I'm totally lost in Tales of Us. If you don't like it, you can fuck off and suck big black-and-blue Zombie cock!

visual? Lol

• Why is it black and blue???? Is that standard???
    '' Sometimes I think I've felt everything I'm ever going to feel and from here on out I'm not going to feel anything new, just lesser versions of what I've already felt ''
  • What other color would it be?
  • I have no idea...I could always check when I see one!!! Although would it not be rather difficult for them to retain certain extremities?
    '' Sometimes I think I've felt everything I'm ever going to feel and from here on out I'm not going to feel anything new, just lesser versions of what I've already felt ''
  • The cock is a mighty organ.
  • What can I say!!!???
  • You might agree.
  • So i'm confused? Surely sucking your own cock is 'integrity' and sucking zombie cock is 'sell out'?
  • Back on 'off topic' i think the sellout/integrity argument is dead (everything that can be said has been said) and this thread is about TOU reviews, so I will stop :-)

It's an argument that has plagued art for years and always will (go on and on). It reminds more of the time when Gary Numan said all musicians should support the Tories (in his own innocent, autistic way) with the logic that they are in it to make money not serve society. Plus how can you be signed to a major record label and not be capitalist!
  • Since lala holds up Van Gogh as the acme of artistic integrity, it might be interesting to take a look at the man's own letters.. From them, it's clear that he saw getting enough money together as absolutely essential to producing good work, and that this worry plagued him throughout his career.

Here's an example: letter to theo 

The whole of life, including the conditions of one's own existence, must influence one's art, for good or bad. So the idea that "whenever you let  extra artistic concerns influence your work, you're done for" is patently silly.

That is the last I have to say about this question.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!