Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
`Tales Of Us` - Reviews By Us
  • 179 Comments sorted by
  • Thanks Jack.  Now I'm off to rip it and add it to the start of my playlist.  :)
    Post edited by mode_devotion at 2013-09-09 17:45:44
    Though we may deserve it, it will be worth it.
  • my reading skills are'nt good enough to read some of your reviews so i'll keep my simple....
    Love drew & thea the others are growing on me....
    I close my eyes when listening to it & feels & sounds like i'm back in Albert Hall Manchester every time feels special i've got to say.... Gives me goosebumps chills & the occasional tear = pure brilliant beautiful 11/10.
    Just Keep Things Simple.....
    Love Goldfrapp.....
  • Took myself to bed early last night clutching my iPod whilst hubby watched tv. Led and listened to the whole album and absolutely adore it. I don't think there is one song I don't like....Thea and Stranger had immediate second listens....think I need more time with Laurel and Simone....

Have woken up with a Goldfrapp ear worm this morning so will be skipping around work later :x
  • At last.... the Tales are on my iPod

It's truly sumptuous..... I've had a run through, and I've smiled.... Cried.... Got goose pimples..... And basked in this recordwith every cell in my body...... I've craved to be back.at MIF after the first few bars of Jo.... And I've played Clay 39 times already.....

I've never had such an emotional reaction to a record before.....

Too soon to say but Tales may take over Tree in my heart....
  • chokka said:

I've never had such an emotional reaction to a record before.....

Too soon to say but Tales may take over Tree in my heart....

I am currently feeling the same with regard to this lovely creation. I have had it on constantly all morning/in the car/sitting with tea/doing housework etc etc and it just seems all consuming.
    '' Sometimes I think I've felt everything I'm ever going to feel and from here on out I'm not going to feel anything new, just lesser versions of what I've already felt ''
  • Nice isn't it, that music has that impact on you :)
  • I wanna join the love-in!
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • There is room for everyone!
    '' Sometimes I think I've felt everything I'm ever going to feel and from here on out I'm not going to feel anything new, just lesser versions of what I've already felt ''
  • But I ... I don't know how ...
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Talks gently to iuventus and assures him that everything will be fine,

(We are sure he knows how as well, he is just being coy)
    Post edited by Cervus at 2013-09-10 08:51:42
  • Only had a chance to listen to it once so far, but in a word - GORGEOUS.  Will be listening to it on the drive from Boston down to NY for the show tonight. Can't wait!
  • Guaranteed listening pleasure is certainly what this album represents. If the negative reviewer made their mind up after one listen, then they arguably suffer acute narrow mindedness for not allowing more of a chance to grow. I am of the opinion that whilst it’s stripped down and acoustic, there’s an element that really appeals to my love of trip-hop. Goldfrapp have not forgotten their routes, they have expanded on them. In many ways this album feels their least commercial and most alternative sounding album to date. Alison is crossing the boundaries with her vocals, there is one occasion I almost didn’t recognise her, ‘Laurel’ made me think Nina Simone or Billie Holiday. The vocal work of this album is most impressive and whilst it’s often gentle breathy stuff, vocals are really up there in the mix, so clear and precise, an absolute delight to behold.

Initially I was feeling that the album leans too heavily on acoustic guitar. Nothing can be taken for granted with Goldfrapp, so one can assume this heavy reliance on acoustic guitar is something of passing mood of the moment which works, and is something I totally accept. I have only very minor criticisms about the use of the acoustic guitar, and it is far more based on personal preference than any actual criticism. ‘Thea’ works perfectly for those of us missing more of an electronic element, and is probably my favourite track. I am not quite in the position to define my other favourite tracks yet, besides the wondrous ‘Thea’ ‘Alvar’is most appealing to my sensibilities, and seems far more reminiscent of Wicker man territory than anything on Seventh Tree. ‘Alvar’ also ever so slightly reminded of Massive Attack ‘Teardrop’, which I would not dare assume to be any kind of conscious influence, nonetheless the reminder was there.

Whilst months of anticipation have been bridged with ‘Drew’, it’s only now listening in high quality audio I can fully appreciate what an epic it is, ‘Clay’ is also another early favourite. ‘Jo’ is the perfect opener to really set the mood for the entire album. I’ve got a lot more listening to do and have to fully absorb the lyrical themes, but feel strongly there is not one bad track, it’s certainly all killer and no filler. ‘Tales of Us’ really has to be appreciated as a full album. Which leads to my final point to commend Goldfrapp upon; in an age of downloadable songs, the value of an album has been well and truly depreciated. I give my thumbs up to Goldfrapp for going out of their way to defy this ghastly trend. They’ve brought us a truly excellent piece of artwork, a cohesive album that can really be appreciated as such. We are in Classic album territory here, thank you Goldfrapp, and well done for producing such a great album.
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • It's a complete album, it's wonderful, Alison's voice is luscious and capable of creating tears in even the hardest heart - it's a masterpiece, enough said.
  • This album is the second you first dip your paint brush into clean water n a bit of clean colour streams into clear water n swirls around before it goes all fucky. I have not picked up a brush since prob 1997 but I know it is.
  • just wrote a review over on iTunes. can't find it. but in a nutshell - i love the album.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!