Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Annabel Video
  • 85 Comments sorted by
  • I suppose this is a lazy comparison, but does anyone think of the boys from The Tree of Life when watching this video?  The young actors in that lovely film also give unforced, soulful performances using very few words.  I think that the kid playing Annabelle has a very bright future as an actor.  Should he even wish to pursue it.  

I still love this video and I feel like a bit of an ass offering any critique, but I think the 2 minute+ intro could have benefited from a bit more editing.  I think Gunning and her lead actor here have the talent to convey this summertime sadness (ugh - not a Lana del Rey reference) in 60-90 seconds.  Also, does anyone find the "sparkle" fx on the dress - when Annabelle removes it from the bag - a bit overdone?  Anyway, these are just minor criticisms and they're only possible because the overall product is so well done.  

• So I read description that film is about exploring femininity and first part of video is Alison in kitchen making sammitches..

I guess you had to be there
    Post edited by LuDux at 2013-09-04 04:24:49
    I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • I'm trying to find a word that describes it for me. I think the word "nurturing" comes to mind. I draw a parallel between the actual "physical" nurturing (sandwich) to the "spiritual" (dress) nurturing. I actually got emotional over Alison's mother role. I think it's gorgeous..well done.
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Beautifully shot and highly emotional. Looking forward to seeing it in the cinema.
  • Annabel seems to have been inspired from a canadian novel written by Kathleen Winters called... Annabel. It is the story of a hermaphrodite child wich is raised in Labrador, in the north of Québec, at the end of the sixties. It is a very well written book. Did Allison read that book wich was originally published in 2010?
  • Hodkin said:

Annabel seems to have been inspired from a canadian novel written by Kathleen Winters called... Annabel. It is the story of a hermaphrodite child wich is raised in Labrador, in the north of Québec, at the end of the sixties. It is a very well written book. Did Allison read that book wich was originally published in 2010?

http://kathleenwinter.livejournal.com/83425.html
    I had a king in a tenement castle, lately he's taken to painting the pastel walls brown. He's taken the curtains down. He's swept with the broom of contempt, and the rooms have an empty ring. He's cleaned with the tears of an actor who fears for the laughter's sting...
  • Hmmm love the song but got to say i don't like the video.... sorry Lisa.
    Just Keep Things Simple.....
    Love Goldfrapp.....
  • I just find it difficult to understand not being moved by that video. The dress in the lunch bag KILLS me. :( <3
    I had a king in a tenement castle, lately he's taken to painting the pastel walls brown. He's taken the curtains down. He's swept with the broom of contempt, and the rooms have an empty ring. He's cleaned with the tears of an actor who fears for the laughter's sting...
  • i agree re: not being affected by this.....this is essential human condition portrayed through pure art.....what the Buddhists identify as Dukkha...all life is suffering.....i know this will probably receive a backlash....but if you haven't identified and experienced your "core pain"  as a human being...which we all have...either through avoidance or denial...then you won't get this video........this is core existence pain.......we all have it.....and until we all identify it .....we won't be free from its grasp.............fin
  • I DON'T cry when the dress comes out of the bag...I just happen to get irritants in BOTH eyes every time that part plays in the video...

hunter
  • It is very hard for a music video to move me to tears but, I must admit, this video had me tearing up.
  • Are you sure it's not just dust or whatnot getting in your eyes?

hunter
    Post edited by hunter at 2013-09-06 01:09:52
  • So I met "Annabel" this week...
    not much to say over at nowness.com
  • ^ Did you actually meet him because that picture is from the NOWNESS Instagram  :-?
  • I want. 7"single too B-)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!