Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Please release Black Cherry in Surround
  • 20 Comments sorted by
  • By the way , this is us discussing this metaphorically over a pint-in-the-pub discussion , laughing along the way , everything is banter , nothing is meant seriously . 
     I appreciate the "Press" follow it as well , Popjustice would probably take the piss but hey , all publicity is good publicity . I read a Radio Times many years ago where someone had written into the BBC Head Honcho Boss Man and said something like , "the wife and I saw prog X the other night on BBC2 , it was shit and Derek and Mary next door think its shit too, when are you taking it off air ?" , the answer was something like "Dear Barry Twatbox , the 4 of you don`t make up a representative sample of the viewing public , piss off" 

I might be paraphrasing there but you see my point . As I mentioned , the thread and its hopes are commendable (if you dont ask , you dont get) , but I feel the logistics will stop it (part of my area of work) . I can only hope that those recordings are dragged out and used as some sort of value collateral at some point .
    Post edited by Sartori at 2013-06-18 11:05:57
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • Or a Babycham for you ;)
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • eventually, id like to think some kind of package like the Bjork surrounded box will be released.
  • Sartori said:

......I read a Radio Times many years ago where someone had written into the BBC Head Honcho Boss Man and said something like , "the wife and I saw prog X the other night on BBC2 , it was shit and Derek and Mary next door think its shit too, when are you taking it off air ?" , the answer was something like "Dear Barry Twatbox , the 4 of you don`t make up a representative sample of the viewing public , piss off" ....

Anyone that's seen a single edition of 'Points of View' will recognise that.  I say 'single edition' because once you've seen one 'Points of View' you've seen 'em all.

Someone on Twitter in the publishing industry posted the other day stated that they can't stand hardback books.  Going to a linked webpage, the point was made along the following lines;

"If a band release a CD do they initially charge £15 for an album in a bigger / stronger case and then 6 months later release a 'normal' version at half the price?  No. This is part of the reason that I therefore resent paying for hardbacks."

Valid point but this got me thinking that actually maybe that IS the way music should go and indeed appears to be doing so - with Special Edition releases.  There's also the directly fan funded release whereby the artist directly appeals to the fanbase to stump up the cash before the recording.  Shades of Kickstarter et al.
    Post edited by softlad at 2013-06-18 11:28:22
  • softlad said:

There's also the directly fan funded release whereby the artist directly appeals to the fanbase to stump up the cash before the recording.  Shades of Kickstarter et al.

I like the idea of this , in this context for a limited appeal product , it would make it viable . Given the amount of piracy , artists are concerned they could very easily make a loss on innovative ideas or even releasing an album . As part of the artists costs Iceberg - they pay the remixers for the remixes £400 - £4K+ and the record label decides on who and how many outside of agreeing this with the artist , even if they remain unused . (Mute/Goldfrapp might have an alternate arrangement) but even so , the costs incurred are with the artist for all the promotional stuff  , anything that gives them a guaranteed return on their outlay is a good thing .
    Post edited by Sartori at 2013-06-18 13:01:04

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!