Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • I decided to terminate my contract with British Gas, I don't like the way their directors award themselves massive bonuses whilst an increasing number of people in the UK have the stark choices of heat or eat. I am no fan of nuclear energy either and don't want to fund the next generation of nuclear stations so I have decided to switch to Ecotricity. I know that there are some arguments against wind power, I worry about the impact on birds for example, but don't have a problem with solar power.

Any views on Green Energy? Would anyone else in the UK consider moving to ecotricity, I think as far as energy providers go they seem to be the best of a bad lot, and actually offering an alternative in the energy debate, costs are slighltly but not significantly higher than British Gas, importantly Ecotricity. wants to build on the idea of energy independence which is a very good reason to join up

generally am interested in a debate about green issues, I m sure we will have our lovers of fossil fuels and nuclear here, but I also feel fairly sure a few of you are very much Eco minded people

comments/discussion anyone?
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • 23 Comments sorted by
  • Yes, its a headache - its difficult to find any source of energy or provider that isnt really problematic. I guess self-generated solar, wind and hydro power might do it, but not many of us have a home that lends itself to self sufficency in energy. (Mind you, back when i was a kid, i remember an old bloke living on the hill who ran his electric lights off a tiny turbine made of old corned beef tins he'd rigged up in a stream!)

• Cheers Whisper It,

I am kinda optimistic about Ecotricity, thei rannual rate is about £30 higher than British Gas, which is not a huge amount when compared to the annual bill. Ecotricity won't go nuclear, all their energy comes from renewables, and increasingly less relying on imports. A few things spurred me on, to be frank British Gas have really screwed me around, and as a company I don't rate them. I had seen something on the BBC news last week that a SURPLUS of energy has been generated through solar power in the UK this year, I think it's madness that we are not harnesing this resource more, solar is my preferred, the more of it we have in the UK the better off we will all be, am convniced of it for years now.
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • The Nuclear Lobby is too powerful and gets away with serious propaganda and lies too as far as I'm concerned
    @-)
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • interesting, i've never looked at that ecotricity before. will have a little look round at reviews i think. i'm all for renewables, though what we've got at the moment just isn't cutting the mustard. there's a huge need for some massive investment into research but they're making too much money outta the fossil fuels still i reckon. 
    a couple of years ago i went to the culham centre which researches nuclear fusion (as opposed to fission which our current reactors do) its much safer & cleaner than fission, massively underfunded though along with everything else!
  • I looked at ecotricity once but was too expensive. British gas are lucky I didnt torch their fucking hq after how they treated me. I had the audacity to move house.
  • Just a quickie Ecotricity don't cost any more than Eon/British Gas, I know a few years ago I found the costs too prohibitive but now it seriously is about the same as British Gas, they check your annual kilowatt usage against British Gas or whoever and immediately tell you what it will cost, total opt out, no commitment beyond one month at any time, compared to British Gas, usually annual contract, worth a try really. I'll let you know if it turns out to be a disaster, but those opt outs are more reasonable than most/all contracts one finds themselves in
    Post edited by Border_Mind at 2013-07-29 20:38:05
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • Their customer service raiting was ok too. Ive never gone on a contract. Can't see id be persuaded ever. BG did offer me a tie in once. Glad I didnt. Im with Ebico atm. But I found out they are sadly administered by Scottish n southern ssc. Ssc are wankers admin wise. Last time I looked my cheapest non tie in tarrif came out as tax avoiding Thames. No ta.

• It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • Fusion.  Only way to go.
  • you might find this site interesting: two energy future
  • Very nice, Ping.  The thing that keeps freaking me out is that scientists are so very conservative in any estimates on any subject.  The last thing a scientist ever wants to hear is that he is alarmist or a crackpot.  So, any estimates we get from modelling, etc are more than likely severely conservative.  So, if they are saying 4 degrees to 8 degrees, I shudder thinking it could easily reach 20 degrees.  And, we are just a little bit better than lemmings.  We may not walk right off a cliff but we have to be peering over it before we get a clue.  With something like the climate, it's kinda like standing on the edge of the cliff while the cliff decides to crumble into the sea.  Ahhh, leaders and leadership, another place we have yet to get a clue.  When will we rid ourselves of the knuckle-dragging, alpha male, sociopathic, myopic, self-centered leaders?  Hmmm, do you think I should move this to the rant thread?
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2013-07-30 14:23:02
  • http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/aug/02/balcombe-fracking-protesters-fight-on
    The energy debate is certainly raging fiercely this week

Also, climate change linked to violent behavior? Makes sense actually, http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/aug/02/climate-change-violent-behaviour
    Post edited by Border_Mind at 2013-08-03 11:04:47
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • Interesting thread. We hope to move to a new home sometime in the next year or two and we would certainly like the option of installing solar panels. Cath s parents have them and have had success with their productivity. ( not the right word but can't think what it is). Should I dangle the F word into this debate.....?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!