Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • So it's now it's finally clear that Sony and Microsoft charge U.K. buyers more for consoles because, well, they just can.
    Post edited by softlad at 2013-06-28 11:55:17
  • 78 Comments sorted by
  • I used to really love having a console always on the go - Amiga CD32, N64, Gamecube (black edition), Xbox 360...they got used to death. After that though I kinda lost my gaming mojo.

Still love pushing my PC to the limit with a lot of stuff on Steam (ir Far Cry 3 etc) but I can't get excited over either of these two new contenders.

Too many caveats before you get the chance to enjoy - buy this too, have this always running, let us control that. It's just not the same now if you were used to it back then.
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • You've got it spot-on Carpy.  The Xbox is now primarily a media center (no thanks, I've got a PVR) and the PS4 is just too expensive as a games console for me to play the one game I'm really hooked on (online Battlefield).  Would have liked to have bought a PS4 but there's no way I can justify it.
  • Ah yes I've been reading about all this bollocks. Xbox One is essentially orwellian fun for the whole family, not your friends though.

Am sooooo not a gamer though, just give me mario and sonic and I'm happy I care for nothing else really.

• Post edited by softlad at 2013-06-12 20:43:44
  • X Box One looks massively big and bulky, seems odd for a brand new console.
  • I don't see a happy future for whoever was in charge of the Xbox One, it really boggles the mind how some of these obviously horrid decisions went through so many paces and no one said "This is a bad decision and will alienate everyone". The PS4 fares better but still i'm not seeing any games i'm interested in. Come Xmas 2014 i'm sure the price will come down and the catalog of games will be better, but still i think i'd be better investing in a souped up PC.
  • rewak said:

I don't see a happy future for whoever was in charge of the Xbox One, it really boggles the mind how some of these obviously horrid decisions went through so many paces and no one said "This is a bad decision and will alienate everyone". The PS4 fares better but still i'm not seeing any games i'm interested in. Come Xmas 2014 i'm sure the price will come down and the catalog of games will be better, but still i think i'd be better investing in a souped up PC.

Completly agree, especially struggiling with less that great internet most of my life it's such a burden having to always be connected and the fact that trading games has basically been stopped. You can't trade, can't borrow or loan your friends games, it's ridiculous, not to mention that creepy camera you always have to leave connected. No thanks..
  • softlad said:

You've got it spot-on Carpy.  The Xbox is now primarily a media center (no thanks, I've got a PVR) and the PS4 is just too expensive as a games console for me to play the one game I'm really hooked on (online Battlefield).  Would have liked to have bought a PS4 but there's no way I can justify it.

I bought Battlefield 3 thinking I`d just give it a little blast for my PC and the sweep and detail of it just blew me away (the multiplayer) . I`ve got a PS3 , the kids use it for sackboy , I use it for bluray playing . The PS4 seems a great concept but it offers nothing over my PS3 , the graphics on it still blow me away (as an old Amiga boy) so I think I`ll stick to my PC for BF4 .
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • Sartori said:

softlad said:

You've got it spot-on Carpy.  The Xbox is now primarily a media center (no thanks, I've got a PVR) and the PS4 is just too expensive as a games console for me to play the one game I'm really hooked on (online Battlefield).  Would have liked to have bought a PS4 but there's no way I can justify it.

I bought Battlefield 3 thinking I`d just give it a little blast for my PC and the sweep and detail of it just blew me away (the multiplayer) . I`ve got a PS3 , the kids use it for sackboy , I use it for bluray playing . The PS4 seems a great concept but it offers nothing over my PS3 , the graphics on it still blow me away (as an old Amiga boy) so I think I`ll stick to my PC for BF4 .

I think a lot may do that, at least initially - those with a PS3 still have a mountain sized back-catalogue of second hand titles to work through that are hardle terrible. That easily wins over all the ££ for a hobbled PS4, at least as it's being launched.
  • I have to admit, I feel Sony is treating gamers with more respect than Microsoft. there was a reporter who asked one of the Microsoft CEOS "What about people who don't have a reliable or constant internet connection? Will they have to miss out on Xbox One?" And the CEO's answer was "We already have a console for them; it's called the Xbox 360." Disgusting. 

Not to mention Sony is getting me excited. as a PS Plus user Driveclub is FREE when the PS4 launches as a game of the month, and the PS4 is $100 cheaper than Xbox One. I already have a list of games I'm looking forward to, and this no-drm being promised for PS4 is enticing (at least from Sony). The system looks beautiful, simplistic but elegant with a throwback to the PS2 design. I'm deeply respectful of Sony because they know without us they wouldn't have Playstation at all. Now it's up to Microsoft to catch up. If not, give Sony the rights to Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie and Conker already. At least they'd have respect for the ip's.

Sorry, rambling. Just happy Sony seems to have more respect. Got a PS4 reserved already and proud of it lol! 

\m/
  • Bollocks.  After watching these two videos I have to have Battlefield 4!

And it's going to have a specific Spectator Mode too.  Arsebiscuits.

• Slippage said:

and this no-drm being promised for PS4 is enticing (at least from Sony). 

\m/

That's the important caveat, right there. Everybody wooped when Sony said very loudly "No resale DRM from us" but then whispered far less noisily the following day that the publishers will be able to all set their own. Does anybody really think somebody like EA will have an easy chance to take a cut directly of every used game of their traded in and re-bought but will decide not too?

One company yells 6 and the other yells two 3's.

• Another interesting development that I've not seen mentioned elsewhere yet is the price of the new games.  Battlefield 4 on PS3 for example will cost £40.  And on the PS4? £55!  Which might also explain why Sony are making a great fuss of the fact that this console is less expensive than the PS3 when it was released despite being more technologically advanced.  Hmmmmmm, I think we can all see where all the profits are going to come from... $-)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!