Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • I don't know if many of you are familiar with the works of Margaret Attwood. I read and studied a lot of her stuff when I was studying English Lit.

Perhaps the most favourite book she wrote was called 'Alias Grace' as it was based on true events.

In 1843, a 16-year-old Canadian housemaid named Grace Marks was tried for the murder of her employer and his mistress. The sensationalistic trial made headlines throughout the world, and the jury delivered a guilty verdict. Yet opinion remained fiercely divided about Marks- -was she a spurned woman who had taken out her rage on two innocent victims, or was she an unwilling victim herself, caught up in a crime she was too young to understand? Such doubts persuaded the judges to commute her sentence to life imprisonment, and Marks spent the next 30 years in an assortment of jails and asylums, where she was often exhibited as a star attraction. In Alias Grace, Margaret Atwood reconstructs Marks's story in fictional form. Her portraits of 19th-century prison and asylum life are chilling in their detail. The author also introduces Dr Simon Jordan, who listens to the prisoner's tale with a mixture of sympathy and disbelief. In his effort to uncover the truth, Jordan uses the tools of the then rudimentary science of psychology. But the last word belongs to the book's narrator--Grace herself.

Here is Episode One- its in English. Ignore the spelling error where it says sezon.

Post edited by serenity52 at 2017-10-28 20:07:07
  • 3 Comments sorted by
  • Looks really interesting Serenity, thanks for that. Did she write The Handmaid's Tale? I must catch up watching that online, I missed it.
  • She sure did, and i am able to upload more videos from the series.

I think Cate Blanchet wanted to be the casting lead but Attwood at first shut down all ideas of a film. Until Sarah Gadon, a Canadian actress stepped forward and won her approval. She really does go into the character of Grace Marks. It's really horrible to think how England was back in the very old times. Witches were tried in various ways. Common method was ducking chair. If you were a witch it was expected you would float (using your mystical powers to stay alive). If you were innocent you were expected to sink.

Grace Marks narrowly avoided public execution because of her age and sex. Apparently she was quite pretty and alledgedly bewitched Thomas Kinnear to carry out the murders to prove that he wasn't a coward.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!