Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 27 Comments sorted by
  • Okey dokey. Now that I'm a lady of leisure ( sigh....between jobs, hopefully..) then I've no excuses not to suss out the train and get myself down there, even if the other half is working. Funnily enough I was just wTching The Wall on YouTube before switching here- it's been years since I watched it. Used to unnerve me as a teen, wonder if it will now? More later!
  • Would Trump be welcome? I'll let you figure that one out for yourselves lol!
  • But there is a quaint English saying, " as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit".
  • Even though it's so deeply sad to see men losing all hope and behaving in this way, it's far worse to see the innocent civilian victims. It's this awful mindset of "you kill my people, then I'll kill your people". What the terrorist doesn't understand is though, is that these governments don't give a shit. Governments are militarized for a reason..greed. Get to the source, the root of the problem. Anyway, I'm thinking maybe UK citizens should be equipped with tasers. I'm serious. Not guns, but something to fend off these crazy knife attack. A nice little flashlight that doubles as a taser is not a bad thing.
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • KatRobin said:

Would Trump be welcome? I'll let you figure that one out for yourselves lol!

My #NewCrush has made the answer perfectly clear.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • I really admire and respect the English way of handling these unfortunate events and patterns throughout history.  It is the best approach I have ever encountered.  'Stiff upper lip' doesn't begin to describe it.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2017-06-06 20:09:23
  • Can you explain what you mean by that WW? How does the U.S. Media portray us? What is the " normal", or alternatively, the American way of handling events such as these? Are we in the UK any different to any other country?
    Theresa May has disgusted me ( and no doubt a few million others) by stating that we, the British people, need to stop showing so much tolerance of the extremists in our midst! ( not a verbatim quote but that was the gist). Who the hell is she aiming that at? As a public sector employee here I went through the pathetically tokenistic online " Prevent " programme, "Understanding Pathways To Extremism" and it taught me nothing that wasn't bloody common sense anyway, just an online quiz. What is she implying ( May never says what she's really thinking) we should all do?
  • I'm not talking about the leaders portrayal of events, though London's major is pretty close to the sense I get.  And, I'm not getting it from the media.  The book, which I think I mentioned before, "Watching the English" by Kate Fox probably gave me the best sense of it, though I became familiar with the English attitude to some extent when I was spending a good deal of time in England over a decade ago.  But, the book really does a great job of going into it in some detail.  It's really interesting, even if it does grind a bit.  That's probably the best I can explain it.  It took Kate Fox a book to explain it.  I can't do that in a paragraph.  Maybe some years ago when I used to go on for pages.

• KatRobin said:

Theresa May has disgusted me ( and no doubt a few million others) by stating that we, the British people, need to stop showing so much tolerance of the extremists in our midst!  Who the hell is she aiming that at?... What is she implying ( May never says what she's really thinking) we should all do?

It's like a stage whisper to the Right.

What she is implying is, "It's those Muslim darkie types - immigrants with their anti-British values - that are being too tolerant. They are responsible." Along with "It's those liberal types, always talking about tolerance and human rights. They are responsible"

One of the aspects of the EU most hated by the Right is the Human Rights legislation we had to agree to abide by. Why? Because it helps to level the playing field by giving people without money and influence an entitlement to equal treatment before the law. May and her class want to take us back to a time when the law privileged the people with money.

She's already talked about wanting to restrict internet speech, and sure enough, this morning's headlines are about her plans for further restrictions to civil liberties.

When Tories talk about freedom and rights, property rights are the ones they hold sacred. Black people, poor people (often the same thing), the peasantry should be allowed only what Theresa and her class think is safe for them to have.
  • You guys are so behind the times...! Our president was doing all that last month.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Uuurgh, God. I dreamt last night that Theresa May was lodging with us! She was an ok sort but had a very nasty toothbrush! What does it meeeeeeaaaaannnn.......?!
  • Actually, thinking about it.....toothbrush / toilet brush.....

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!