Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  •  
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2018-04-08 08:50:14
  • 4 Comments sorted by
  • Wonderful!
    'I’ve embraced each season of my life with both joy and wonderment because I know our time on Earth is a brief interlude between nonexistence'
    Harry Leslie Smith, you are a Gentleman and a scholar. Deep respect to you Sir!
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • I can really identify with this as my Mum is also 94, earlier in February.
    She was born a fighter. The first child, her Mum had had two still born before she was born. She was born a blue baby and only entered the world following a slapping from a Midwife who had cycled through the snow to deliver her, for which you had to pay. Remember, no NHS in those days.
    The eldest with 4 younger brothers. That makes you a fighter!
    By 19, she had joined the Army and spent 4 years at Bletchley Park. She started as a private, then became a Lance Corporal then a full Corporal with 22 girls under her. She worked in the Japanese code section and was based in block F, where the great Harry Flowers constructed Collosus, the worlds first programmable electronic computer. She was in the Intelligence Corp, a branch of Military Intelligence and a forerunner of MI5.
    She knew my Father from when she was 15. They met at a local Fair. While she was in Bletchley, he was in North Africa and the tough old gut of Italy. They never saw each other for 3 years, but he wrote to her constantly, over 250 letters that I still have. Fighters both.
    She lost him at 55 when he died, having raised two kids. After retiring, she worked for over 15 years in a charity shop. She is now challenged by very poor mobility but her mind remains as sharp as a whip, woe betide you.

Never underestimate the old. You spend a lifetime gathering wisdom, if you are lucky, and that process never stops and they are the guardians of that lifetime of knowledge.
    Barbara and Harry have a lot in common.
    Like I said, a fighter, and an inspiration !
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2017-02-24 16:27:57
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • I can really identify with this as my Mum is also 94, earlier in February.
    She was born a fighter. The first child, her Mum had had two still born before she was born. She was born a blue baby and only entered the world following a slapping from a Midwife who had cycled through the snow to deliver her, for which you had to pay. Remember, no NHS in those days.
    The eldest with 4 younger brothers. That makes you a fighter!
    By 19, she had joined the Army and spent 4 years at Bletchley Park. She started as a private, then became a Lance Corporal then a full Corporal with 22 girls under her. She worked in the Japanese code section and was based in block F, where the great Harry Flowers constructed Collosus, the worlds first programmable electronic computer. She was in the Intelligence Corp, a branch of Military Intelligence and a forerunner of MI5.
    She knew my Father from when she was 15. They met at a local Fair. While she was in Bletchley, he was in North Africa and the tough old gut of Italy. They never saw each other for 3 years, but he wrote to her constantly, over 250 letters that I still have. Fighters both.
    She lost him at 55 when he died, having raised two kids. After retiring, she worked for over 15 years in a charity shop. She is now challenged by very poor mobility but her mind remains as sharp as a whip, woe betide you.

Never underestimate the old. You spend a lifetime gathering wisdom, if you are lucky, and that process never stops and they are the guardians of that lifetime of knowledge.
    Barbara and Harry have a lot in common.
    Like I said, a fighter, and an inspiration !

Wow. I normally refute that stereotype of the older generations being automatically tougher, but... wow. Sometimes you've just got to admire the endurance!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!