Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Desert Island Discs
  • Thought this would be an interesting topic seeing as we are expecting a new album soon, as it should revive peoples minds.

The basic premise is as follows; 

Like BBC's Desert Island Discs show on the radio, you have to pick 12 songs that you would take with you while stranded on a desert island.  The idea is that these are you favourite songs, and if they were all you ever heard for the rest of your life you'd be quite happy.  This particular one is Goldfrapp themed, however.  Pick 12 Goldfrapp songs that you like the most, and be prepared to lose the rest forever.

My personal pick would be (in chronological order):

1. Pilots
    2. Big Black Cloud, Little White Lie
    3. Strict Machine
    4. Train
    5. Let It Take You
    6. Ooh La La (Extended Version)
    7. Road To Somewhere
    8. A&E
    9. Rocket
    10. I Wanna Life
    11. Alvar
    12. Ulla

I picked two from each album, as I found that fairer and easier also for myself.  Don't feel you have to as well.

What one's would you pick?  Interested to see if anyone has any similar lists :P 
    Soon be nothing of this world.
  • 13 Comments sorted by
  • If I was having a desert island discs I would really want more than one artist,  Goldfrapp themed would look something like (at the present time)

1. Clay
    2. Stranger
    3. Hunt
    4. Voice Thing
    5. We Radiate
    6. Caravan Girl
    7. Number 1 (Alan Braxe & Fred Falke Main Remix)
    8. You Never Know
    9. Black Cherry
    10. Hairy Trees
    11. Paper Bag
    12. Utopia

It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • Hah! I have played this game in my head for years, including the imaginary "book in addition to the bible and complete works of shakespeare" and the "luxury item". As far as i can remember, the only person who has chosen a GF song over the years of the real programme is George Michael, who picked Paper Bag.

My ideal pick would probably only include 2 GF tracks (out of the 8 that you get), just to cover my bases. But 12 GF tracks would not be a hardship. They would be:

1. Paper Bag
    2. Lovely Head
    3. Utopia
    4. Gone to Earth
    5. Hairy Trees
    6. Tiptoe
    7. Train
    8. Eat Yourself
    9. Sartorius
    10.Big Black Cloud
    11. Black Cherry
    12. Pilots

Old school, me
  • Can I choose 12 albums instead of songs? It would be easier.

6 Goldfrapp albums + Blue Lines & Mezzanine by Massive Attack + Master of Reality Black Sabbath + Moon Safari (Air) + Blue Öyster Cult + Endtroducing... (DJ Shadow).

It would be nice.
    Post edited by Turqs at 2017-01-07 12:44:00
  • Long time since I listened to Master of Reality all the way through. Are you an adherent to the Classic 6 Turqs, (Black Sabbath, Paranoid, Master of Reality, Volume 4, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage) ?
    Once Ozzy left, ( or was sacked) then Bill Ward left, it lost some of its appeal to me, but we will always have the classic 6! If I had to have just one, it would be the first, Black Sabbath.
    A shame for these final gigs, they could not get Bill back as well.
    It would be nice.
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2017-01-07 16:57:25
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Seems to be a fair few  who like Sabbath around here,  I am one of them. I've seen Alison express praise for the Sabs on a couple of occasions too.

I would agree that it's the early Sabbath where it's at. I tend to dislike  it when bands  break with the original line up, most especially with singers. I struggle to think of one band who replaced a singer and were better for it. No doubt Ronnnie James Dio was a good singer, but not a huge fan of his era with Sabbath, or in fact, any of the non Ozzy albums. I didn't particularly like or dislike the last offering which saw most of the original sabbath reunited '13', it was alright, but it didn't blow me away. To me I would say Paranoid, Volume 4 or Sabbath Bloody Sabbath are their greatest, but it's all personal choice after all.
    Post edited by Border_Mind at 2017-01-08 16:38:36
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • I'm big fan of Sabs, but as you said Its not the same band when Ozzy left and I can't get into later albums. I love first six albums, and I have special thing for MoR. Dunno why, it's special. May be that low, groovy sound. And the bass line. I just adore what Geezer did there, so much of dark sound...
    Post edited by Turqs at 2017-01-08 16:48:32
  • I know what you mean, some great lyrics, especially in After Forever and Children of The Grave. I seem to recall reading that Geezer Butler was behind a lot of the lyrics, I like Geezer's world view, and his compassion towards animals, seems like a top bloke.
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • I once had Sabbath Bloody Sabbath on 8 track !
    I've told this story before, but when I was a about 14, I had a mate who wanted my copy of Silver Machine by Hawkwind which I had on 7" vinyl. He offered me as a swap, a 7" vinyl copy of Evil Woman/Wicked World by the Sabs and I took that deal. Best thing I ever did as that was Sabbath's first release on vinyl and it was on the new Vertigo label with the swirly centre. Wicked World was not on the first album, and I believe I read it was the first actual song the band wrote together.
    You are right BM, Geezer writes most of the lyrics. Both he and Tony Iommi are top guys, as is Bill Ward, the original drummer and vastly underrated. Some of his work on those original albums is truly innovative.
    As for Ozzy, no one fronts a band like Ozzy but he was a total fruit cake.
    Looking forward to seeing them again after so many years at the end of the month. The last time was 1978 !
  • Jay! Love these lists. Here is mine- in alphabetical order. In case there should be a predefined playlist on the island, Clay has to be the last track. Every time that song ends I automatically stop breathing for a few seconds. Clay is to be followed by absolute silence only.

1. Black Cherry
    2. Clay
    3. Clowns
    4. Cologne Cerrone Houdini
    5. Melancholy Sky
    6. Monster Love
    7. Ooh La La
    8. Ride a White Horse
    9. Twist
    10. Ulla
    11. We Radiate
    12. Yellow Halo

• Real question is:

If you had to take only 8 (like radio show) and they can be ANY artist.

Would you pick a Goldfrapp track?
  • Yes, but limiting it to just one or two would be difficult as there's so many that i'd consider.
    Soon be nothing of this world.
  • I couldn't live the rest of my days without hearing Lovely Head to be honest.  It is so...beguiling. 
    There are 1/2 dozen that I would really, really miss !
  • Love that George Michael picked Paper Bag as that is my favorite Goldfrapp song (with Monster Love and Clay nipping at it's heels).

So I guess my first three are obvious now;

Paper Bag
    Monster Love
    Clay
    Deer Stop
    Horse Tears
    Simone
    Utopia
    Time Out From The World
    Melancholy Sky
    Satin Chic
    Ride A White Horse
    Tiptoe

That was way harder then I thought it would be. Breaks my heart to not include Clowns, Forever (Mountaineers Mix), Let It Take You, Drew, Jo, Twist, Crystalline Green, Shiny And Warm, Physical (UK Girls) and several others.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!