Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
New Instagram account 'Goldfrappmusic'
  • I have noticed a new Insta page has appeared called Goldfrappmusic and its followed by Alison and Mute, always thought she would seperate what has become her personal one with the band page. Only posts are every album cover to date!
  • 47 Comments sorted by
  • Great spot, it's also verified as official.
    Post edited by Jo_ey at 2016-12-01 21:10:25
  • It's happening!

They're getting everything ready for the next album era, without a shadow of a doubt. I give it two weeks for an announcement or major hint of some kind.
  • HOPE IS COMING

• We all need to get behind promoting it I feel! I do also feel like we need to start a campaign to get their next album to number 1. Feels fitting really!
  • I appreciate the sentiment, wm1, and I would get behind any great ideas you have.  But, you know what?  I'm guessing that this is, finally, the album that will get there without a problem.  At least, I hope so.  Goldfrapp's biggest problem, in the past, is almost no presence in the U.S.  If this was really recorded in Texas, like it sounds, something has changed radically.  I feel like the previous folks that did the promoting were not doing everything that could be done to promote in the U.S.  Of course, I guess the other side is that kicking the door down in the U.S. can be a challenge.  It better be more like their rather big hits to get there, like Number 1, Ooh la la, et al.  Funny thing is that, while Goldfrapp's presence in the U.S. has been sporadic, they are in a number of movies and TV shows.  Go figure.

Totally different subject but, I was shocked to hear the other day that a bar (at least in the U.S.) that plays any music, like from a playlist or even a band doing covers, has to pay royalties to the artist!  I'm not saying that it's not right.  Just that it's a little surprising.
  • Ever since the band put their glam rocker attire and slinky electro-funk away, there has been less marketing and whatnot, and Head First being dismissed by the band themselves as "not their favourite" album - along with other things such as album themes that were more hazy/dreamlike and harder to target a specific demographic for - most likely sliced a few zeroes off the budget for Tales of Us. Remember, for that record they were working primarily on their own, likely paying for most of the recording out of pocket with a trickle of label support coming in to meet contractual terms. I still remember watching the "making of" mini-doc and it really came across as a bare-bones, budget-stretching project (borrowing things from anyone willing to lend a hand, working with Lisa to get the most out of the video production without having to rely on other resources, etc.). Although, they clearly didn't need a big budget anyway. It proved that the band were more than capable of steering their own ship and make the very most of what they have! I really respect them for such drive and determination, as it paid off. Of course, this is purely speculation and I could be totally wrong, but it's not as if the recent nosedive in advertisement and/or marketing leaves much to the imagination. 

If I remember correctly, they were at the tail end of a contract with Mute around the time of Head First / The Singles, and Tales was either the final contracted release or the first of a new arrangement. So, with Tales being more critically acclaimed and widely renowned than Head First, perhaps the band were given a little extra help here and there in making Album 7. Of course, I don't think money is the issue, moreover specific permissions and marketing/album funding allowances, etc.

Again, I'm just rambling. I couldn't care less what the precise terms are and they aren't really my business to know anyway. As long as Alison, Will and the gang are safe, healthy and financially secure then that's good enough for me! 

Though, in my opinion the best strategy would be to come roaring back onto the dancefloor with something that will make those hairbun-adorned, knob-twiddling knobs wet their pants most insecurely.
    Repeatedly.
    Also, actual advertising and marketing presence outside of the U.K and Europe for once is an absolute necessity, regardless of album theme or potential demographic. If all of these "hipster-centric" bands formed in garages can do so well, why the hell can't Goldfrapp be properly respected from a marketing standpoint? Betting Conan would LOVE to have them back as it's been so long. And an Ellen appearance wouldn't hurt either (look what it did for Florence).
    Post edited by Slippage at 2016-12-04 23:46:15
  • Are they still with Mute?
  • Yes (the new Instagram page even follows Mute itself), but likely under new terms. Perhaps they're working with a per-album contract/arrangement now and not one spanning several releases like before? I find all of this fascinating, really. 
    Post edited by Slippage at 2016-12-05 11:59:53
  • In 2003(?) Mute become part of EMI (one of their heads was Miller's friend), which started having problems in late 00s. The Singles was end of that era

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf2vItHUpPk#t=480
    Post edited by LuDux at 2016-12-05 13:18:08
    I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • please please please please some news soon
  • Has anybody looked at this instagram page, lately?  Pretty clear what the album cover will look like.  I just love Goldfrapp's simplicity (not referring to the music by any means) and straightforwardness.
  • I always think this is a difficult conundrum for true artists - fame and fortune v the art. I'm not sure GF are interested in the former as long as they make a reasonable living. It's always intriguing how much live footage has been made and never released - they could have bolstered the coffers and extended their visibility. In fact members of this forum have probably released more vids!
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • There is plenty of videos around YouTube from ToU & HF tours due to rise of smartphones & other electronic devices. From the earlier times there is portion of some televised gigs etc., but not so many of them.

And I believe there are lucky people who recorded many gigs from telly and now are keeping them locked in they secret chests burried in their backyards.
  • Interestingly, bands can get too big in my opinion and it all changes. I like U2 but they are so huge that you feel they are not your band anymore but they belong to everyone. I want GF to be successful and continue making superb music but I like the fact that they are our band; almost our secret, and if they got massive, that would change. I doubt we would be on here with all this witty banter!
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Just been and counted. I have 18 GF vids on YouTube I have shot at gigs.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!