Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 769 Comments sorted by
  • folklore said:

my cat ate several moths last night, but there was this one bug thing that looked very strange! It had a long thin body which was sort of red and there was a big stinger on the end of it, it looked like ordinary flying thing apart from that, anyway my cat ate that too which worried me what with it's massive stinger! She seems fine though.

Beetles' "stngers" usually turn out to be ovipositors (ie for egg laying), so i wouldnt be worried.

• Currently out taking photos of bees, butterflies and bathing birds etc. The blooming things won't stay still though! :D
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • Red-tailed worker bee in flight:-

Red-tailed worker bee with full pollen baskets and a spare dusting all over too!

• Lovely pics :)
    I was at Dad's today and I have never seen so many butterflies in one garden. They were everywhere. Speckled Woods, Meadow Browns, Gatekeepers, Marbled whites and lots of Blues (Holly I think as they were tiny).

'' Sometimes I think I've felt everything I'm ever going to feel and from here on out I'm not going to feel anything new, just lesser versions of what I've already felt ''
  • I couldn't move for Ringlets here - they were everywhere!

• They are so subtle yet really pretty.
    '' Sometimes I think I've felt everything I'm ever going to feel and from here on out I'm not going to feel anything new, just lesser versions of what I've already felt ''
  • These are some of the best nature photos i've seen well done carp :)
    Just Keep Things Simple.....
    Love Goldfrapp.....
  • Thanks, jozzy!

Starting to get used to my Canon SX40 HS now and the 35x optical zoom really helps close in so well on such tiny things!
  • a massive thing has just flown into my house. its a bit like a daddy long legs but its twice the size and had brown stripes on its wings. i can't decide if i'm scared of it or not.
  • I've a black widow hiding somewhere in my house--unless she's died, or something.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • ping said:

Never mind.... I'd try to get rid of it.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2013-07-15 17:31:57
  • iuventus said:

I've a black widow hiding somewhere in my house--unless she's died, or something.

holy shit. count me out coming and staying round yours one day. not until she's moved out anyway.

eeeek!
  • eeeek!

I'll catch her soon enough. Really, they're quite timid spiders; not hunters at all. She would run far away from you unless you pinched her or backed her into a corner.

I'm still terrified of them though.

Post edited by iuventus at 2013-07-15 19:08:00
  • iuventus said:

eeeek!

I'll catch her soon enough. Really, they're quite timid spiders; not hunters at all. She would run far away from you unless you pinched her or backed her into a corner.

I'm still terrified of them though.

I just saw an article not long ago about some guy who had dealt with spidersf for thirty years and, as you say, they really have no diesre to contront a human and definitely not bite them.  I think he said he had never been bitten.  But, just like any animal, you don't back them into a corner.  I agree, I'd be quite freaked out about one in my house.  I've had spiders (not black widows) drop down on me from the ceiling.  Didn't like it at all.  And, of course, the spider didn't like my reaction much, either, though he wasn't aware of it for long.
  • But, just like any animal, you don't back them into a corner. I agree, I'd be quite freaked out about one in my house.

I was bitten a few years ago while sitting on a chair in my garden. I guess I sat on her, or something. Although they're great bug killers, the danger of having her in the house is the possibility of 300+ babies hatching. I'd be sure to run into a venom-filled fang if that happened.

They're a bit of a problem here because my landlord collects just the type of junk that the bitches prefer to inhabit. Last summer and fall, I hunted down hundreds of them, mostly in his yard and carport. That, plus the extremely cold winter, cut down on this year's populations.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!