Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Tales of boobs (accidental type)
  • 44 Comments sorted by
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • What's even more fascinating is that the hormone prolactin spikes in men who are expectant fathers, increasing the chance of lactation!
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • ^You've probably seen how fanatical langur monkeys are to hold and look after babies which are not their own. The genius who is Sarah Blaffer Hrdy :x has pointed out the evidence that shared parenting in humans was key in helping us to develop empathy, a theory of mind, cooperation, survival past breeding age and a host of other features.   
  • You are something else, whispered, and, whatever it is, it's really great.  Ha!  You crack me up sometimes.
  • You are something else, whispered, and, whatever it is, it's really great.  Ha!  You crack me up sometimes.

Aw, WW, that's the nicest thing anyone's said to me for years. Apart from the researcher, who said she was thinking of proposing me as the type specimen for Homo sapiens sapiens x neanderthalis

You're not so bad yourself, btw x
  • Not to break the mood of good spirits but I was just writing something about how mankind doesn't yet deserve the mantle of sapient by any stretch of the imagination.
  • ^ I find these questions and arguments become circular over time. It is a question of evolutionary psychology. At what point in human evolution did the male 'detach' from direct parenting? The male breasts are clearly there for a purpose, as males can lactate. Direct force of will came into play. Created gender roles became enforced by the male. A patriarchy was instilled and the male 'father' became the disciplinarian. The male used physical brutality to enforce his will. This enforced will by use of brutality became the military culture we see today. At some point there was a detachment in the male-

It's clear to see the hierarchy in military structure. The older males use the younger ones for their own gain. War has little to do with fighting evil, it is a selfish use of the youth by the older males to gain physical wealth and resources. But why? When did the older male turn on it's own Species for mere self-preservation? I know I'm talking in an animal context now, but it only makes sense to do so.

*Also, I'm sorry if I'm generalizing- I'm just referring to the Military Culture we see today, who seem to be running things from a fear perspective.

Post edited by Ponygurl at 2017-02-28 15:43:41
    U R I E L
  • You seem to have an arrow pointed at my post.  I don't see the connection.
  • ^Maybe that's the problem?

I'm just saying, where is the wisdom in this blatant use of brutality within the male sphere? It is not the correct way to govern a world, much less parent a child. It's just an observation, not to be taken personally.

In regards to sapience, I have a Theory of why there is so much discord in the world of Humans. Governments and the Military Complex are just other words for 'old men'. You see these particular old men have found a way to kill two birds with one stone. When there is War, it is a competition for wealth and resources. When there is War, alot of young men (and women) die. So basically these old men can collect wealth and resources and kill their young sexual competitors at the same time. Then the old men don't have to compete for a young woman, they can simply "buy" them with the promise of security which was afforded to them by the act of waging War.

So that's my 'Tales of Boobs' and I'm stickin' to it.
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2017-02-28 22:35:09
    U R I E L
  • That all seems very obvious to me.  Root cause still needed.
  • Some men seek control, because they do not trust that they will be loved.
    U R I E L
  • @Ponygurl - that is a beautiful summary of one of the most powerful driving forces towards war.

I'd add capitalism, which has a logic that requires economies to consume increasing amounts of resources or else to collapse. Breaking the logic of this system is also bound up with patriarchy, but not only that.

Going back to lactation and parenting, there are a few examples of human societies where childcare is shared by the sexes, but they are a minority. One that SBH :x cites is based on driven net-hunting in dense jungle. In these type of hunter-gatherer economies. every member of the group is needed to hunt successfully, so there is no division of labour.

There is only one species of mammal in which males fully lactate (it's a kind of fruit bat). So it seems that there is a fundamental evolutionary reason why females are the breast-feeding sex. A likely explanation is that milk developed from a secretion that helped in egg-laying (which males obviously don't do). Post-birth, there tends to be a positive feedback loop for infant care. Proximity to infants stimulates prolactin production in both males and females, which in turn makes them seek proximity to infants. So if you start caring for an infant, you are more likely to want to continue to care for them. Conversely, if you are distanced from infants at the outset, you are less reinforced to keep close to them....

There's a further issue about genetic investment. Females are virtually 100% certain that a child is theirs. Males can almost never guarantee this. The Titi (yes really!) monkey is the one with the most male involvement in infant care. They are highly monogamous, with less than 10% of infants fathered by a male other than the female's lifetime partner. In virtually every other primate species, there is significant "extra couple" sex. Having said that, there are also species in which males provide significant care to infants, especially in matrilineal species.

Enough already! As you know, once started on this topic, I rarely stop...!  
  • Everyone gets on with Deleted User.

Oh give me a break. Your twisting my melons man :-)) :)) :O

• @whispered Your addition of capitalism was brilliant. Maybe we should just all refer to the government for what it really is- an imperialist white-supremacist capitalistic patriarchy.

...I love this topic as well! I appreciate all of your insight!

U R I E L

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!