Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 219 Comments sorted by
  • This time we have a strong resistance and history as a teacher.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • This whole holocaust denial thing is what’s really scaring me. As you say, when the politicians and media can get away with blatantly calling black white and when ( some) of the population don’t have the intelligence or the desire to discriminate anyway, not to mention the fact that the education system is failing them miserably, then where will this end? I get the impression that many find this whole post-truth thing and politicians’ fighting amusing. History is being driven out of the curriculum, as is self expression in the arts. Millions of people use corporations and products they know ( or should know) are corrupt, cynical and harmful ( I’m looking at you, social media users! - sweeping statement there from me but you know my stance) and they would rather be part of the self- harming herd than be huddled helplessly in the minority corner.
    I recognise that SM has its uses..how else would we know what team Frapp are up to...but I still see it as deeply insidious and dangerous in profound ways that are only just starting to unravel.
    Anyway...I’m ranting. Must go and WD40 those hinges on my sandwich board...it’s been left out in the rain to rust and no ones been reading it!
  • Michael Gove And wood burning stoves. Lucky my GP said I have better than average blood pressure this week.
  • 'False philosophers have beclouded educated but sequacious minds'.
    John Gardner.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • 'The hottest fires of hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality'.
    Dante Alighieri

This one is particularly on point for what is happening in American politics at the moment.
  • Fortunately, fire plays a rather small role in Dante's Hell.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • May is now in a dilemma with the vote in the Irish Republic to legalise abortion. Does she support, even push for a referendum on a similar question in Northern Ireland and upset her DUP masters ( the ones keeping her in power to who she paid over £1B to bring them onside), who are ultra pro right and think abortion is a sin against God, or does she try to keep out of it and condem Northern Ireland to be the only region in the UK and Ireland where woman do not have the choice.
    As she's crapping herself about staying in power, I suggest she will try the latter.
    At this point, I would like to bring in our Norn Iron correspondent @Low
  • This week could be Theresa May’s last if only the whole of the Labour Party could put their differences to one side and vote together, along with the growing numbers of Tory MP’s who are opposing Brexit (at least a hard Brexit) and vote through the sensible ammendments passed by the House of Lords on the current car crash that is Brexit. If they do, May is toast and this hateful bunch of corrupt self interested toss pots could be condemned to the dustbin of history.
    Instead, I fully expect the Tory waverers to put career before country and conscience as usual and certain labour MPs with a grudge against Jeremy Corbyn to put their petty revenge before common sense and vote with the Tories and our decent to Apocalypse to continue at full speed.
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2018-06-11 09:34:58
  • I say this, by the way, as a not habitual Labour voter but enough is enough and the country, like the USA, needs to be freed from the Albatrosses that currently hang around its neck.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!