Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 21 Comments sorted by
  • ^^^ HHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA
  • One day I'll actually realise that listening to an album for the first time in 2014 does not make it a 2014 album, if you see what I mean...

... so that cuts out a lot of the albums I've been playing.

So, from my own personal timewarp- for me 2014 albums of the year are

Lykke Li - I Never Learn (and not just for the Morticia Adams Alike Portrait on the cover)
    FKA Twigs - LP1 (with some reservations, but as a debut: wow)
    Kate Tempest - Everybody Down (reservations again, but I keep finding new things in it)
    Perfume Genius - Too Bright (only just heard it after Xmas but I'm smitten for now)

• Another favorite of mine is Unrepentant Geraldines by Tori Amos. A literal return to form.

• Perfume Genius - Too Bright (only just heard it after Xmas but I'm smitten for now)

Yes! That one hasn't yet made it onto my playlist, but Ive heard it and love it.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • I haven't bought as many albums as in past years & now use Spotify to check out promising ones before committing to a purchase. Just as well, as my album collection is packed with many I rarely, if ever, listen to now. I expect I'll be listening to this year's top 10 time and time again, though.

Especially my absolute favourites: 'From Scotland With Love' by King Creosote and 'Song Noir' by Pumajaw.

The former is a soundtrack to a documentary featuring old film footage of Scottish life in the first half of the 20th Century but is outstanding in its own right with some beautiful evocative songs about life, love, work & play.
    The latter features the duo covering songs featured in many film noir classics as well as their own compositions which fit the mood perfectly. It complements 'Tales of Us' beautifully, I think.

The rest of my top 10:

'Amphetamine Ballads' - The Amazing Snakeheads
    'Everyday Robots' - Damon Albarn
    'Food' - Kelis
    'I Never Learn' - Lykke Li
    'Nabuma Rubberband' - Little Dragon
    'Stay Gold' - First Aid Kit
    'Ultraviolence' - Lana Del Rey
    'Tribal' - Imelda May

Always subject to revision, of course, should I eventually hear something released this year that I hadn't heard when compiling this list. Usually happens.
  • Just as well, as my album collection is packed with many I rarely, if ever, listen to now. I expect I'll be listening to this year's top 10 time and time again, though.

Me, too.  I've culled some of the albums to which I'm unlikely ever again to listen, but more of them need to be axed to make way for the new.

'Albums I axed in 2014' might make an interesting thread... or 'albums I'm considering culling'.  I wonder whether anyone on here has expelled Tales of Us -- or is considering doing so.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!