Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Goldfrapp Vinyl
  • I thought this was worthy of a new thread all of its own; and it is Goldfrapp News but happy if it is moved to A & E G instead.
    For some time, probably more than 2 years, I have been picking up gossip on T'net about Mute re releasing early Goldfrapp albums back on vinyl. Seriously, if you want some albums; say Felt Mountain on vinyl, then be prepared to kiss goodbye to anything from £90 to £250 depending on where you shop. Ridiculous. Anyway, I thought, why not ask the people who know (that would be Mute Records BTW). The question went like this:

Hi
    I keep seeing rumours on the internet that Mute are considering re releasing early Goldfrapp albums on vinyl. I need a vinyl copy of Felt Mountain to complete my vinyl collection but with some copies on the internet fetching £200+, I do not feel inclined to line the pockets of greedy dealers.
    Is there any chance of the early albums being available again on vinyl at some time?
    Thanks
    Urban Tribesman - Goldfrapp Message Board.

Within 12 hours, I got a very short, curt response:

Yes, they will be coming!

OMG. It's true !
    Now, I don't know about you, but there is a house in the S.E.of England where a jig is currently being danced !
    Happy days. I assume these will be 180g pressings, possibly with extras, but just a straight reissue would be great.
    Can't wait ( as long as this is not another GF project that is put on the shelf along with all that concert footage- that's one hell of a bookcase !).
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • 26 Comments sorted by
  • Wow, great news! BTW, early albums?! I can't even find Seventh Tree! I came across a music store in Bristol and the guy tried to sell me Black Cherry for £150! So this is just capital news! Independent labels are very cool. If it was EMI I doubt you'd get an answer. Thanks so much by the way for asking them. (sorry for all the exclamation points I'm very excited :) )
    Post edited by silverjet at 2014-11-11 17:16:03
  • silverjet said:

Wow, great news! BTW, early albums?! I can't even find Seventh Tree! I came across a music store in Bristol and the guy tried to sell me Black Cherry for £150! So this is just capital news! Independent labels are very cool. If it was EMI I doubt you'd get an answer. Thanks so much by the way for asking them. (sorry for all the exclamation points I'm very excited :) )

As am I Silverjet, as am I !
    I may even buy additional versions of what I already own if they are 180gr. I bought them on vinyl at the time they were released, except Black Cherry, which I got later for about £30. No sign of FM though this side of a ton. Hopefully, a lot if greedy dealers will weep in their beer.
  • And they will be available to Colonial cousins as well ! Hurrah !
  • If Black Cherry was rereleased on 180g I might dip into that. I have all the album vinyls but BC was the only one not on 180...
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • The only piece of Goldfrapp vinyl I ever bought was the "Satin Boys, Flaming Chic" 7 inch.  In those days, I attempted to buy everything by Goldfrapp -- and it was announced that the record would be vinyl only.  I later found that wasn't true, as I bought a CD promo of it.  I've played the CD, but have never played the vinyl.  I know where the CD is, but don't know where the vinyl is.  I assume that I still have it.  Perhaps I should seek it out, and maybe sell the thing (I don't suppose that I'll ever play it).
  • Vinyl is, without doubt, the premium listening format for music. Always has been and remains so today, despite the continuing advance of the digital medium. It probably always will be as well because no matter how many times you sample and over sample something, it remains that; a sample in that it is a copy; a facsimile of the original. No matter how many times you select and convert your analogue waveform into a series of 1's and noughts, it still recreates your 'circle' as a series of straight lines; impossibly small, but still, inherently straight.
    Sound in nature is always created as an analogue waveform, and, on vinyl, this is how it is stored, so it is never converted through the 1's and noughts stage, but always remains, deliciously, analogue.
    I have spent countless hours in listening rooms testing this theory and it remains, simply, inviolate. Anyone who doubts this needs to get themselves to a decent Hi-Fi system and do the same back to back testing to prove it.
    True, to hear this difference, you need some decent kit but it starts with the turntable, the arm and the cartridge, then the amp, then the cables and then, finally, the speakers. Linn, who make the Sondek, have a saying - Rubbish in, rubbish out. You can never put back in anything lost in a previous stage by improving a later stage, so it always starts with the turntable.
    Interestingly, over the last 10 years, we have moved away from listening to music even in the best digital form, which would be the CD, in favour of the MP3 or similar compressed form we listen to on our mobile devices. The curious thing about this is their must be people out there listening to their music that have never heard it in its richest, most expansive form, as they always listen to the compressed MP3 version.
    I would be interested if people would like to post how they listen to their music and who still has a turntable as part of their set up.
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-11-15 14:06:48
  • Whether or not it is now, vinyl has certainly not always been the premium listening format for music.  The first vinyl record was released in 1931.  That's actually quite recent.

Personally, I think the premium listening format for music is live performance, which has been with us since before the beginning of recorded history.

On my equipment, CDs sound every bit as good as vinyl, which I suppose, in the Urban Tribesman scheme of things, means that it isn't decent.  C'est la vie.  The money I have to spend on such things is limited and I'm aware that (aged 68) my hearing isn't improving.  Perhaps fine nuances of sound, which my younger ears would have detected, are now lost to me.  Anyway, it seems to me that, for my purposes, CDs are good enough.

Interesting, though, that digital downloads have worse sound quality than CDs.  Perhaps I'm able to detect that.  I've filled my iPod with music lifted from my CD collection -- and the iPod doesn't sound to me as good as the CDs.  Maybe my hearing's in better shape than I supposed.
  • Ah Pet, you have discovered the flaw in the grand plan. Digital downloads can sound as good as CD's but at the cost of higher storage capacity. A typical CD album takes around 700Mb of storage; approx 5Mb per channel per minute, so 10Mb per minute for a stereo recording. Files in this density end .wav on your drive. MP3 recordings take up approx. 1/10th of this at approx. 1Mb per minute for a stereo recording. This means you can store 10 times the amount of tracks on your MP3 player but it does this by chucking 90% of the file away and just storing the remaining 10% on your disc drive and using the remaining data as points during playback (like a skeleton) and interpolating the bits in between using some sophisticated software and algorithms. That's why you are noticing that the MP3 recordings sound flatter and less dynamic than the original CD recording. However, you get far more recordings on the disc. Those tiny little headphones are not the best at reproducing a quality playback and a lot of people do not care or would appreciate the difference anyway unless they played the recordings back to back.
    The real advantage of the CD/MP3 playback is it's convenience. Try playing a turntable in the car or on the bus on the way to work.
    Your comment about live playback is interesting. A live performance is the truest form of music no doubt but, again, it comes back to convieniance. Try putting the musicians in your car or your front room !
    For recording, archiving or storage of music, vinyl gives the best approximation of the original live performance all things being equal, as it keeps the sound in its original, analogue form.
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-11-15 16:34:51
  • ^:)^ I'M SO HAPPY THEY ARE RE-RELEASING THEM ON VINYL ^:)^
  • On the quality thing though Urban, 24/96 or higher lossless digital downloads are now a very easy possibility and arguably those would be equal to or greater than a high quality vinyl rip. At that point it becomes a warmth of analog vs clarity of digital argument, but if the recording was all digital (which Frapps albums have been) it's a moot point.
  • Since I first bought the device, I've found the sound on my iPod a bit unsatisfactory, and only use it when travelling by train or bus.  My problem with it isn't just the earphones, I think.  Back when I had a day job, I used to take a CD and a Walkman into work for lunchtime listening.  Using similar earphones to the iPod ones, the CD Walkman didn't sound too bad.  I still have the Walkman and now use it with little speakers for listening to CDs when I'm in the bath or working in the kitchen.  Listening to vinyl in those places would pose problems.
  • Many thanks, UT, for your contributions to this thread over the last few days. My turntable has lain virtually neglected for the past couple of years. Now that I understand properly the advantage of analogue over digital I shall mend my ways!
  • rewak said:

On the quality thing though Urban, 24/96 or higher lossless digital downloads are now a very easy possibility and arguably those would be equal to or greater than a high quality vinyl rip. At that point it becomes a warmth of analog vs clarity of digital argument, but if the recording was all digital (which Frapps albums have been) it's a moot point.

I think it is a preference with some people of the clearness of the digital sound, and the lack of background noise that is always present on vinyl to the warmth of the vinyl sound. Digital does better suit genres that are digital in the nature of their creation, such as electronica and synth based music but the point is that the sampling process always involves breaking down the music itself into those ones and noughts. Even with electronica, the final output/ product is analogue as, if not, we would not hear it. Another of the common discussions with the digital/vinyl debate is listener fatigue. The clear sibilant sound of digital reproduction is regarded in some circles as being more wearing on the listener, leading to earlier termination of listening sessions than with vinyl.
    A similar process occurs in photography with storing digital pictures in the JPEG format. Every time you save a picture as a JPEG, it goes through the similar process of dumping large quantities of the data to make it easier to store, and then the reverse process of recreating the file using the data that was retained and interpolating the data that would have been in between and recreating it. If during the editing process, a picture is edited/saved, then edited/saved say 1/2 dozen times, then every time it goes through that compression process, a little more of the original data (the picture in photography, the sound in music) is lost and replaced by the data the software is recreating. In theory, do it enough times and none of the original,data remains, just the facsimile created by the software.
    There is more to this discussion than one of just preference for the sound produced by each method of playback. In today's world where music has become throw away, the CD has lost out to the digital download, bizarrely on the back of convenience, which is exactly how it gained its supremacy over vinyl in the first place. The music industry seems to be taking heed in its desperation to turn back the wave of piracy it is currently battling on the digital front. People think vinyl gives you more of an experience, more character and the feeling of getting more for your money, and it is one that people are turning back to and are prepared too pay for.

Listening back to back is the only way to resolve the question of sound quality. I would be interested to see how far the most up to date CD reproduction systems have come. Perhaps we need to arrange a big Frappy listening session !
  • Many thanks, UT, for your contributions to this thread over the last few days. My turntable has lain virtually neglected for the past couple of years. Now that I understand properly the advantage of analogue over digital I shall mend my ways!

God. I first got involved in the debate even before CD's became common in 1982. I had a couple of mates who were audiophiles and they dragged me along to many hi Fi shops to listen to this turntable, that amp, these speakers, all of which cost a shed load of cash. I thought they were bonkers !
    But. After about 3 visits I began to hear the difference. Honestly, I did. I began to hear things on albums I knew well that I had never heard before. I began to become aware of 3 dimensional soundstages and the coherence of bass passages in the music and the ability to pick out and separate different instruments in the mix. I had stumbled into a whole new world. Then CD's began to appear. They were championed on how convenient they were, how you could drill holes in them or spread jam on them and they would still play; all cobblers. Quality of early CD's were piss poor and vinyl clearly remained superior in back to back sessions. Then the quality of CD recordings improved and it became harder to tell the difference but, in my ( and not just my) opinion, all things considered, vinyl produces better 'listener experience'. Whether this is actually superior quality, or just one with more character (yes, some people actually like the crackles and pops - a mate of mine dubbed this cereal complex), warmer, whatever; it is one I prefer. Collecting vinyl also seems more satisfying than collecting CD's. Maybe the physical size of the format is more appealing. It certainly makes it easier to read the inserts !
    As you have a turntable, I suggest you get one of those 180g pressings and a matching CD and report back !

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!