Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • Hi all
    Not sure if this web site has been shared before but it is one devoted to the art of the female vocalist. It is full of info about the techniques and range and the different grades of female vocalists and has details on many famous vocalists, including one Alison Goldfrapp. Bloody awful picture of her but some interesting facts about her vocal abilities. Hopefully, the hyperlink has worked as my computers are either to old or too new it seems to edit here efficiently.

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-08-29 11:48:08
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • 20 Comments sorted by
  • Hmm...interesting picture...kinda reminds me of my old hamster backing herself into a tube! She was Muffin (Alsion looks like a cupcake in this pic). Long may she rest in piece, cute little fluffy thing that she was (Muffin that is).
  • you might be interested in this:

i've seen another similar thing on youtube but i can't find it at the moment.
  • KatRobin said:

Hmm...interesting picture...kinda reminds me of my old hamster backing herself into a tube! She was Muffin (Alsion looks like a cupcake in this pic). Long may she rest in piece, cute little fluffy thing that she was (Muffin that is).

Cute! May she rest in piece or peace?! Lol. This is gonna sound really, really strange..but she looks like my mom in that pic. Twisted.
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Ping.....no link?! ( or IS IT JUST ME HA HA!!)

PG....that was peace! She didn't crumble, just withered away with old age....sob, God, now I'm off!
  • I just thought your hamster story and spelling were cute..here's something to cheer you up-
    http://youtu.be/ooFnXHelLWA

We can make this the hamster/diva thread. :P
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • KatRobin said:

Ping.....no link?! ( or IS IT JUST ME HA HA!!)  

hmm i can see the video kat, maybe i'm the only one who can?!  8-}
  • PG- lol thanks for that! I had a guinea pig called Benjy too up to last year....oh, and rats in the past....shall I go on ( probably NOT!!).
    I bet you don't get all this surreal stuff on Britney or Kylie s message board! All the best people with good music taste are slightly puddled ( and PROUD!!) xx
  • ping said:

you might be interested in this:

Thanks Ping, interesting. I notice the little vid on the DD site is no longer available. I make F2 -E6 3 octaves + 6 or 1 note short of 4 octaves. Impressive stuff and she keeps control over the whole range.
    I wonder if she has ever hit that F6 at any point to make it a round 4?
    Just noticed, on an IPad, you just get the vid and music but on the PC, you get text come up over the vid which explains the notes being hit and where about's in the song. Worth calling up on a PC/ Mac platform as it explains it better.
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-08-30 08:23:16
  • The link now works ok for me Ping, and very interesting vid. Thanks for that. 
  • Well, who would have thought it. There has been more research into vocal ranges.
    Remember from earlier that Alison has a vocal range from F2 - E6? That's 3 Octaves and 6 notes.
    That's almost exactly the range of Michael Jackson. He could go 1 note higher to F6, so 4 Octaves.
    Alison can get quite deep for a female. Justin Timberlake can only make it down to F2#, so Alison can go a semitone lower.
    The king though is Axl Rose of Guns n Roses. He can hit F1, so a whole Octave lower than Alison. So what, I hear you say, he's male and should have a lower voice. Thing is, he can also hit Bb6, which is a range of 5 Octaves, 2 notes and 1 semitone and is 3 notes and a semitone higher than Alision.
    I will assume you all know his name is an anagram of Oral Sex ?
    Visit this link for more artistes vocal ranges.

http://www.concerthotels.com/worlds-greatest-vocal-ranges
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-10-09 18:30:29
  • Thanks for the link - interesting.

Open question here, should falsetto count towards vocal range or not? yes they're singing it, but no it's not produced the same way as normal singing ... Not every bloke can do it, but those who can have an extra high extension to their range. I'm in two minds about it, myself..
  • Thanks for the link - interesting.

Open question here, should falsetto count towards vocal range or not? yes they're singing it, but no it's not produced the same way as normal singing ... Not every bloke can do it, but those who can have an extra high extension to their range. I'm in two minds about it, myself..

Hey Wild Corgi.
    This may provide a bit more info for you about the four singing registers, including Falsetto.

http://www.divadevotee.com/2009/03/vocal-registers-explained.html
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-10-10 18:01:56
  • I've never liked the term Diva - it's too tied up with the notion of being difficult or somehow not about the music/voice. Whilst I understand that's often not the fault of the person involved, but more a label put onto them, it still gets things off on the wrong foot.

Just my thought!
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • Hey Wild Corgi.
    This may provide a bit more info for you about the four singing registers, including Falsetto.

http://www.divadevotee.com/2009/03/vocal-registers-explained.html

Thanks again, more info to be going on with and their explanation is interesting - only it doesn't map very well on to my understanding, which is apparently the old fashioned one of chest/middle/head registers etc.

I did have a FOAF who was a countertenor, once upon a time, and if I remember his explanation right, he used falsetto to sing at least the very top part of his range,  in a quite different way from the way in which Diva Devotee describes head register... I may of course have remembered wrong, or he may have been over-simplifying for me. I also remember getting the distinct impression that this upper extension was something women couldn't do - although of course women do use a head register.  All told a lot more research to do!

• I've never liked the term Diva - it's too tied up with the notion of being or somehow not about the music/voice. Whilst I understand that's often not the fault of the person involved, but more a label put onto them, it still gets things off on the wrong foot.

Just my thought!

To be honest Carpy, the thread was named after the web site not for any reference to Alison being a difficult character. You raise an interesting point though in that Diva is both a word to describe someone of great vocal talent and respected by piers; a Prima Donna, and someone who behaves like they are when they are not. Prima Donna is another word with the same bipolar nature, as in, 'she's a right Prima Donna'.
    For the record, my dictionary describes Diva as a highly distinguished female vocalist. Apparently, it comes from Italian via Latin 'Divus' , a Goddess. It has no negative description.
    Prima Donna by contrast, it says
    1. a first or principal female singer of an opera company.
    2. a vain, temperamental person who expects privileged treatment.
    Diva Devotee says some very complimentary things about Alison and her vocal prowess. On looking deeper into the site, it is not always as gushing with 'other' vocalists.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!