Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Goldfrapp's Genre
  • 40 Comments sorted by
  • Huh. I tried to explain to some of my cousins and friends what genre Goldfrapp is... Ended up showing some  clips on YT. Strict Machine, Train, RAWH and other rocking synthing stuff. Then some of the slow ones... You can't describe them using words. You have to use combination of sound & picture.
    Post edited by Turqs at 2016-11-20 17:37:27
  • true, Turq, And even within the GF oeuvre, the songs I like best tend to be the hardest to classify - Paper Bag, Lovely Head, Gone to Earth...what are they?.
  • Lovely Head is just... Whistling distorted masterpiece. It's what it is :)
  • I was listening to Gone To Earth today in my car and thinking how Christmassy it sounds- was it released around Crimbo time? Anyone know?
  • Well, I think I finally get it!
    After some prolonged Silver Eye listening, I was in the car today on a long journey and my IPod decided to click onto the Deluxe edition of Tales of Us. Man, how soon you forget how lush that record is. Then it clicked onto the bonus material with the tracks from Air Studios, Lee and the live tracks from Manchester. Almost as removed from the music on Silver Eye as it could be, but still, unmistakably, Goldfrapp.
    I started to think about other art forms, artists in particular and came up with Rothko and David Hockney. If you went to a Rothko exhibition, you would always know it was Rothko, as his work has a theme he stuck to. Hockney, on the other hand, is much more eclectic. Every exhibition is different, as he explores new themes to express his feelings, which produces a far more complex oeuvre.
    So there you have it. Goldfrapp's genre is a complex oeuvre. Every one of their 7 albums is like a new exhibition of paintings, set out and hung for our delight; diverse and eclectic.
    Except Goldfrapp paint with sound!
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2017-04-27 14:37:48
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • KatRobin said:

On a kind of similar note, I was asked to choose a song that sums me up for our school leavers' book. I chose "Happiness" cos it sums up our ( or at least my!) eternal quest to find happiness and it seemed most apt! And also cos a 20-something gay colleague of mine had never heard of Goldfrapp! I mean, whaaaat?!! I've since educated him, don't worry.

Awww that's a great song choice! What did the children think of the song, out of interest?
  • Good question...!
  • Never mind Silver Eye. I took a long drive to and back from Birmingham today in the pouring rain all the way ( Design in Mental Health exhibition). Had the IPod on and started with Babe Ruth by Babe Ruth with the athletic and powerful Jenny Haan on vocals. The we had Bjork Greatest Hits. Following that, I needed Frapp, so did Black Cherry and Felt Mountain back to back. My God, they are a pair of very special albums. BC full of energy, FM just....brilliant. I was left emotionally exhausted.
    Notice anything about that run? All female vocalists, to which I have a real penchant.
    I then let the boys have a go with Pale Green Ghosts by John Grant and OK Computer by Radiohead!

I thank you :)>-
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!