Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
'David Bowie is happening now' (cinema screening)
  • I only just heard about this. Couldn't make it to the V&A exhibition itself, but will pop along to this - it's tomorrow eve! :)

The Victoria and Albert Museum presents 'David Bowie is happening now', a nationwide cinema event screened live from its smash-hit exhibition 'David Bowie is'.

This will be a behind-the-scenes tour of the exhibition in the company of the curators and influential creatives who have collaborated with or been inspired by David Bowie.

The V&A was given unprecedented access to the David Bowie Archive to curate this first retrospective of Bowie's extraordinary career. It displays 300 objects that have been brought together for the very first time, including original costumes, Bowie’s own instruments, sketches, handwritten lyrics and design notes.

The film will include exclusive footage never seen outside the exhibition, including footage of the Diamond Dogs tour, rehearsals for Station to Station, and a photo shoot with Herb Ritts, plus rare BBC radio archive interviews with Bowie.

Contributors will include avant-garde Japanese designer Kansai Yamamoto, who designed Bowie's Ziggy Stardust/Aladdin Sane costumes, and Terry O’Neill, the renowned celebrity photographer who is perhaps best known for his striking images of Bowie for the Diamond Dogs tour.
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2013-08-12 18:48:53
  • 6 Comments sorted by
  • I grew up listening to David Bowie. My Dad is a massive fan. That should be interesting.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • First time I've gone to a live screening in a cinema. I'm on the front row. Starts in 15 mins. Wonder if there'll be the typical live f*ck-ups! Audience every age from 20-65.
    EDIT: some have brought their kids, lol.
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2013-08-13 13:51:55
  • I'd have been at The Tyneside in Newcastle tonight but all the tickets were sold out!

Enjoy, HJ!
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • I did indeed enjoy the event. :) There are "encore" showings at various cinemas over the next week (but strangely - none up in Carpy-land it seems)... link here: http://www.picturehouses.co.uk/film/david_bowie_is_happening_now_encore

As part of the live bits... there were some nice words from various celebs, including the Japanese chap who designed the Ziggy & Aladdin costumes, and a lovely tribute from Jarvis Cocker. There were lots of old photos and clips... about 75% of which were new - to me. Fascinating to see the photo-shoot pics which resulted in the Diamond Dogs cover... with DB and the dog adopting the respective top and tail of the famous pose! :)

There were also details about a proposed DD film, which was amazing... and all new to me. They showed storyboarding, dialogue and even a cast-list ('Halloween Jack' was to be played by someone other than Bowie! ...can't remember who, though).

As well as the celebs, there were lots of ordinary folk talking about their enthusiasms and experiences. As a very prejudiced fan, I won't waffle on about how much his music has meant to me, but this sort of show/exhibition will surely indicate to even those who are perhaps not so keen... that DB's breadth and depth of ideas in that 1969-1980 period was absolutely astonishing.

• Missed the exhibition and I've probably missed the movie too, but glad to have another opportunity to discuss Bowie since the last thread on the old board.

I've got quite a gap to fill of post Scary Monsters albums, but I did get 'The Next day' which is a strong album by even Bowie's already high standards. The albums I have been playing the most in recent times are The Next day and Space Oddity. I am in total agreement with @Halloween_Jack in regard to 'breadth and depth of ideas in that 1969-1980 period' ;)
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • PS, there isn't one crap Bowie album in that period including Pin Ups and I think any artist would be hard pressed to have come up with such a staggering variety in what is a relatively short period of time, considering how much variety Bowie attempted in that period it's phenomenal really.
    Post edited by Border_Mind at 2013-08-14 07:29:16
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!