Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • Been reading that Debbie might be calling it a day where Blondie are concerned, always loved Blondie, have very early memories of the songs, they've always been with me and always will. I have only seen Blondie once going back to 99 at Glastonbury, the last time I was actually at Glastonbury, and what a moment to behold, that will go down as one of THE best and most emotive gigs I've been to.

I have  quite liked what I have heard of recent Blondie but it's always gonna be the first four albums where I am concerned, I like some of Debbie Harry's solo material almost equally to the classic and more so than 90's onwards Blondie

Great band, hope Debs has a good one whatever she decides to do next
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • 10 Comments sorted by
  • later than that for me, really wished i'd seen them at their peak, late 70's early 80's,  Olympia Theatre dublin 2011, still a great gig, great venue as well.
  • The story of Blondie is pretty sad. Screwed by their manager/label then Chris got sick. Ended up in debt. They only really reformed as they were broke. Chris and Debbie still didn't like their old band mates Clem and Jimmy. Hope they have paid their debts and earnt some pension so they can chill for a bit!

• Very true I remember the BBC documentary a while back, I single out the first four Blondie albums as the best, then drug addiction at the price of record company loans, a fall from grace. Many people like myself were simply not old enough to have been going to gigs when Blondie split up, I am glad I saw them at the time of 'Maria' though which I thought/think is a good song. Yes Blondie have endured a lot of band not getting on syndrome in all incarnations, it is a tragic story in many ways, unfortunately that's the reality of bands very much of the time isn't it?

It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • The story of Blondie is pretty sad. Screwed by their manager/label then Chris got sick. Ended up in debt. They only really reformed as they were broke. Chris and Debbie still didn't like their old band mates Clem and Jimmy. Hope they have paid their debts and earnt some pension so they can chill for a bit!

This is not quite accurate. Blondie reformed because they wanted to create music; though, yes, it is also their business. Debbie has always had a reasonably lucrative career (Celebrities going broke is quite different from you or me going broke). I doubt she has had to work so hard these past several years, as their last couple albums are likely their two least popular and prosperous. However, I'd bet that No Exit, perhaps even the single "Maria," secured any debt and possibly her future. True, neither she nor they have experienced the same financial prosperity as pop entrepreneurs like Madonna, but I'd bet I could retire quite comfortably on Debbie's assets alone--just a guess.  Chris had not been idle between Blondie incarnations, and Clem has always worked. The band (I presume Debbie, Chris, Clem, and Jimmy) have sued and won over royalty issues at least twice. Clem and Jimmy had always been in good with Debbie and Chris until Jimmy went haywire on drugs after the reunion. That is why he was asked to leave. Clem is still a good friend and colleague. The real beef was with Nigel Harrison and Frank Infante.

I really doubt that Debbie would reflect on Blondie's career they way you summed it up.

Nor is the rumor true that Blondie is calling it quits. Debbie tweeted yesterday, "No plans to stop working, don't believe everything you read."
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • ^ I saw a documentary last year (post Curse of Blondie around 2006/7 time) and it was very honest but because if that it was impossible for any off them to hide their bitterness. It even ended with Blondie rolling her eyes at Clem's drum exhibitionism. I agree Chris and Debbie are pretty tough and I don't doubt they do it for the love of music but I think they did feel hard done to by the industry. Chris seemed pretty philosophical but I think Debbie was still looking out for him and so always held a bit of anger eve though at this point after Maria they were doing well again. Thing is they were going on about the importance of Maria but it one of my least favourite Blondie songs.
  • 'don't believe everything you read' d'oh! The Guardian implied Goldfrapp were splitting up when Melancholy Sky came out, you may remember? So indeed.

Oh well good, maybe I will finally get another Blondie concert in one of these days eh
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • We saw them at the Albert Hall a good few years back and they were just amazing. Debbie still has that certain something that you cannot quite put your finger on.
    '' Sometimes I think I've felt everything I'm ever going to feel and from here on out I'm not going to feel anything new, just lesser versions of what I've already felt ''
  • There will come a time when they 'Fade Away & Radiate' but not yet. They seem to be enjoying themselves playing gigs and festivals this year. I missed their Edinburgh gig a few weeks ago but saw them when they played the big Hogmanay gig with the Scissors Sisters back in 2004. A fantastic night.

Cervus - do you mean star quality or something else :)
  • Saw them at Somerset House couple of years back and I thought they were fantastic. Great rapport with the crowd and Debbie had just turned 65 or 66 and I thought to myself how many of today's younger stars will be pulling in the crowds when they get to her age? Here today gone tomorrow some of today's stars but Blondie will always be remembered L-)
  • Cervus - do you mean star quality or something else :)

If I only knew I would be able to say.............. :) :) :) There is just something very special indeed.
    '' Sometimes I think I've felt everything I'm ever going to feel and from here on out I'm not going to feel anything new, just lesser versions of what I've already felt ''

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!