Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • “You can lead a horticulture, but you can’t make her think” - Dorothy Parker
    “There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about” - Oscar Wilde

There are more to come...
  • 42 Comments sorted by
  • ^ "The British are coming, the British are coming!" Paul Revere
    Stranger, make me remember you- "all the world in a grain of sand"
  • “It costs a lot of money to look this cheap” - Dolly Parton
  • “There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who believe there are two kinds of people in the world and those who don’t” - Robert Benchley
  • Lol Dolly Parton!!

I do believe that less is more (im talking makeup not clothes.. thats a different conversation lmao!!) but it's also how you use it too.
  • Interesting.  When I was young (a long time ago), I grew up during the Free Love movement (woodstock and all of that).  Make-up was almost forbidden. 

So, anyways, I went to college for a semester before joining the Navy for three years.  There was NO make-up and, still, some very beautiful women.  When I came back from the Navy, which was located in the boonies of northern Maine (errr, boonies is like backwoods), I was shocked to find that goop on women's faces.  It was a really weird transition for me.  I still think that careful and subtle use of make-up is a very good thing.

Yeah, clothes are a polar opposite discussion but driven by the same influence, which is a very revealing (no pun intended) statement on mankind.  Women often try to make themselves pretty by slathering on the make-up or going around scantily clothed, in hopes of attracting men.  I'm not saying that is the only reason for a women (or anyone) to make themselves presentable.  It is certainly not.  Anyone in their right minds tries to be presentable.  But, too much make-up and too little clothes seems to me to be a sure indication of a society that is crushing the woman's spirit.  I hope it is clear that I despise the idea of that crushing.  It infuriates me more than just about anything and I would do anything to change it.  Two of the most stunning women I've ever run across cover almost every millimeter of their bodies almost all of the time.  Ha!  Of course, there are exceptions for both when they are scantily clad.  And, of course, in both cases, it is done brilliantly, with taste and sense.

Mmmmm, peasant skirts, to me, are wildly sexy.

Sorry, you hit a button.

Ah, well, so much for word play.  I'll get the thread going back in that direction at some point.
  • So I'm guessing you are an ex soldier? Or Marine? That's amazing!! Am i right in thinking that you now work with computers or am I on the wrong tangent?

Is a peasant skirt otherwise known as a gypsy skirt? What's your opinion on the rara skirt? I do like a good pencil skirt actually.

Skirt is a funny word. There's the skirt that you wear, and then there's skirting around an issue.
  • Actually, I spent all of my time in the middle of a beautiful park in Northern Maine about a hundred yards from the beautiful coastline of Maine.  I never even saw a boat the whole time I was in the Navy.  That was probably an incredibly good thing, since it was during the Vietnam War.  So, I was more like a stoned monkey in a small piece of America that has been hardly touched by civilization that a soldier.  I was unbelievably lucky.  I was on a NSGA base (think NSA) but did not much but wash dishes, mop floors, read a lot, and train as a firefighter.

No longer.  I designed chips, computers, code, debugged everything from chips to cell phone, networks, backplanes, and computers.  Did a lot of strategy, though most people don't really even understand the term.  But, I quit a decade ago because the corporate culture sucked so very badly and I found more interesting things to do.

Hmmmm, a floor length gypsy skirt.  Errr, rara shirt.  Rah! Rah!  Doing a search of pencil skirts was interesting, though most of them looked rather businessy.  One looked mighty fine indeed.

Nice segue back to word play!
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2017-11-22 09:35:17
  • "Men no longer wear skirts I hear, the fashion was kilt" Ponygurl
    Stranger, make me remember you- "all the world in a grain of sand"
  • Post edited by LuDux at 2017-11-22 14:06:50
    I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • back to topic: Michael Hutchence died this day 20 years ago. I still remember the day I heard the noose. He really set the bar high.
    I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • “I used to be Snow White, but I drifted” - Mae West
    “War is God’s way of teaching Americans geography” - Ambrose Bierce
    “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple” - Dr Seuss (one of my favorites because it is so true and no one realizes it).
    “We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars” - Oscar Wilde (one of my favorites, no reason necessary).

• Water? I don't drink water. Fish fuck in it! Jimmy Durante.

This one I truly believe in.
    I don't want to belong to any club that would accept me as a member ! Groucho Marx.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent” – Eleanor Roosevelt
    “If everything is under control, you are going too slow” - Mario Andretti

For the night, though, it's gotta be "Out of my mind".  I miss the feeling.

• Interesting to read so much about you WW. On here, we know so little about some of our correspondents, an ambiguity weaved around avatars to represent us. We can only deduce what we can about people from their comments, including their age and gender, sexuality, political viewpoints, nationality, location etc. It is sometimes a grand game to piece together a back story for compatriots, constantly updating and revising that profile as more slips out, sleuthing about in the shadows and stalking in the long grass.
    I assume some of us have more contact with some on here than others, meeting at gigs being an obvious way of doing this.
    And then some just like to remain an enigma ! (Looking at you Dux!)
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Worse yet, UT, is I was once totally taken in by someone that fabricated a life story out of pure fiction.  It was so disconcerting once I figured out that the poor woman had created a complete fiction about herself.  I  never did figure out what was real and what wasn't but she seemed to be trying to prop her self-image up, as far as I could tell.  That was on Wattpad which, in a lot of ways, was one weird environment.

Yeah, I gotta admit, meeting a gig would be a kick.  I just about made one the last time I visited London.  As I don't ever think I will be back in England, though, that's not going to happen.

I am, certainly, appallingly, transparent.  Naive and gullible would be the rude description, I guess, though I don't think of it that way myself.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!