Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 38 Comments sorted by
  • We English are not straightforward nation in our social etiquette and customs.

You would now be more inclined to here the words "would you be interested in a store card' when you pay at any checkout or trying to flog you another useless item
    I have never been thanked for my custom.

I think Englishness and more to the point the correct use of tbe English language it at risk of decay. It irks me no end when people type yea instead of yeah and use text talk.

Rarely do people say 'please' and 'thankyou' except those who are brought up properly with a solid education, where manners have been instilled at an early age.

I would say that i am quite English and exhibit the quirky English traits especially when it comes to the art of tea drinking. I am a self confessed teaoholic.

In fact tea drinking is the fabric of our society. Coffee is just as popular and j do like coffee, but it will never replace a good old brew. A cup of rosy lea. It can make a crisis seem like a small storm in a teacup.

Sarcasm is another trait us English folk do well at. Or to the less refined it's more commonly known as 'banter'.
  •  
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2018-04-08 08:37:04
  • I shall certainly look for it. I do prefer the warm sweet taste of tea. Although I have to say that i am becoming a coffee can just because it's hard to escape from. We are surrounded by coffee shops. They feature in TV Soaps, in dramas and films. Rarely do you see a tea shop. It's like we are being hypnotized into this coffee culture craze.

I don't buy into starbucks-not after they did a cappuccino in a take out cup that was half full of air.

Caffeine is a drug. People do forget that. Make sure you drunk enough water, eat plenty of fruit and go and exercise.
  • I know this is veering towards dodgy territory but it's being discussed left, right and centre.

And I know it won't change anything but do we all agree there is more behind Princess Diana's death than meets the eye.

I felt so sorry for her. I will never forget that dreadful announcement. But her children. What fine young men they are!! An absolute credit to her.

If Charles ever takes the throne, it will not sit well with the people of England and the world over.

•  
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2018-04-08 08:36:53

• Ah well, I guess I'll have to save my savouring of tea for another lifetime.  There's no way I will ever appreciate it as well as it deserves in this lifetime.  To me, coffee is not something savoured, unless you put all that junk in it which I would never do.

According to Wiki, the first use of coffee was in Sufi monasteries in Yemen. I bet there was a strong ritualised element to drinking it. Would (re-)creating that kind of tradition around it make you feel differently, WW?

A recent controversy here in Wales is telling with regards to "Englishness". As a way of celebrating the castles built across Wales by the English Kind Edward I, a 30m wide sculpture of an "iron ring" was commissioned from an English firm of architects, to be sited at Flint castle (in Wales). It took a national petition to point out that this might be seen as slightly insensitive, as those castles were constructed an "iron ring" - and known as such - in order to
    suppress Welsh resistance to English rule. 600 years later, my grandparents were being beaten at school and made to wear the "Welsh Not" if they dared to speak the language of their home in school.

It's fascinating that large chunks of English people remain uncomprehending when the Welsh, Scots and Irish insist on supporting "anyone but the English" when i comes to sporting events. 
    Post edited by whispered at 2017-09-03 06:20:41
  • My grandmother was punished for speaking Spanish at school.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  •  
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2018-04-08 08:36:42

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!