Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
What's a good online newspaper?
  • What's a good on-line newspaper?
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2017-05-24 04:50:08

Lovely2CU
  • 23 Comments sorted by
  • Good question. Simple answer, there is not a good newspaper. They are all cursed by the need to sell copy, and there is no low they will not stoop to to maximise this.
    If I had to read one, then perhaps the Telegraph.
    Is this a Heaven?
    Is this a Hell?
    Do both exist?
    Who can tell?
  • Thanks for that, UT.  It's all relative, right?  If you have ever visited Yahoo!'s homepage, you will know what I mean.

I've always liked the BBC News as being pretty much unembellished reporting (all of this is online, of course).  I started checking The Guardian and it's alright.  I had just started looking at The Independent and I think I like that.  

The thing is that I can't find anything like those kinds of online papers in the U.S. that don't end up saying I am limited to three articles a month before I have to pay.  The Washington Post is a pretty good newspaper.  The Huffington Post does not have that restriction but seems more opinion than reporting.

Of course, with many of these online papers, you have to avoid the "sponsored" or, in Britain the favorite term seems to be, "promoted" stories.  Even that seems to be mostly missing from BBC News and The Guardian.  I don't know how the British feel about state-owned things like the BBC but I think they are brilliant.  There are certain things that do best without the mania of the profit motive.

The paper form of newspaper that I used to just love whenever I was traveling was the International Herald Tribune.  I just read an article about it that summed it up nicely.  It was just written in a way that was elegant and somehow comforting.  But, it is gone now.  The NYT decided to change it to the International NYT and I'm expecting I wouldn't like the other changes much, either.  Besides, who wants all of that print on their fingertips anymore.  I'm afraid I don't have a valet to iron my paper.

Anyways, I'll try the Telegraph.  Thanks!

Lovely2CU
  • Tough one, WW. Easier to say what to avoid at all costs (Daily Mail, Sun, Star).

The Telegraph, Independent, Observer, Guardian and Times have retained proper foreign correspondents and some commitment to serious journalism. So some of their news reports are decent, and at odds with the paper's editorial line (which is a good thing). The Financial Times maybe too (but I've never really read it).

The Times is Murdoch owned, of course, and editorially Tory. The Telegraph is similar. The Guardian is generally soft left, but drives me nuts with its assumption that its readers are well-heeled Londoners. The Observer is essentially the Sunday edition of the Guardian.

The Independent is centrist.

I think that's about it.
  • That is very helpful, whispered, knowing what papers to avoid.  I'm guessing they are like what is referred to as supermarket tabloids in the U.S.  No real news at all.  The big bruhahah about "fake news" is not new.  The papers have been sued for decades by celebrities that they concoct news about.  

I think it was the Times I saw the other day.  It was HUGE.  On a weekday!  More like a flipping book!

Great insights!! Wow!  Yeah, I'd rather a little leaning to the left than right, if I have to.  So, now, when I'm reading them, I'll know what to expect.  Amusing thought about the Londoners.  Hahaha!  Makes me want to read it and see if I can detect what you are talking about.

Lovely2CU
  • Try The Beano WW.
  • Oh, wow!  Nice.

I was kinda surprised.  Try looking up the observer some time. 32 million hits.  Luckily, the UK newspaper is at top.  That is the whole reason for the name whickwithy.  When are people going to learn.

Lovely2CU
  • I like The Guardian.  That seems to be some smart folks working there.

Lovely2CU
  • I like The Guardian.  That seems to be some smart folks working there.

It has a reputation for poor spelling. In some circles, it has the nickname of The Grauniad !
    Is this a Heaven?
    Is this a Hell?
    Do both exist?
    Who can tell?
  • So, you're far right, UT.

Lovely2CU
  • I'm not far right, or far left or even centre WW. I'm for free thought and good ideas whoever they come from.
    My Father once said, anyone who chooses to be a politician should be instantly barred from becoming one.
    My views are pretty much as articulated by Groucho Marx, who said, I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member!
    Is this a Heaven?
    Is this a Hell?
    Do both exist?
    Who can tell?
  • Actually WW, see if you can find 'The Week'. It's not a newspaper as such, but a weekly magazine ( clue in the title) that covers all the Uk and world at large news stories but by collecting and piecing together the way the same stories are covered by a selection of newspapers. A decent read.
    Is this a Heaven?
    Is this a Hell?
    Do both exist?
    Who can tell?
  • UT, that is just the perfect description of politics and law.  I will try the week...did you just read my post on searching generic terms like "the week".  Would you have a reference link?  I just tried a search.  New high!  612 Million hits.  I'll never even know if I have the right link.

Lovely2CU
  • Is this a Heaven?
    Is this a Hell?
    Do both exist?
    Who can tell?
  • Thanks!

Lovely2CU

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!