Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • Hopefully I'm putting this, my first new discussion, in the right place. But seeing as how it's about Goldfrapp's brilliant bassist Charlie Jones I presume this is where it belongs.

Actually, my appreciation of CJ pre-dates my appreciation of Goldfrapp. It goes back to 2007 when he co-produced, co-wrote and played on 'Mantaray' - the debut solo album of my most beloved heroine (sorry, Alison!): Siouxsie Sioux.

Anyway, since falling madly in love with the music of Goldfrapp two and a half years ago and discovering Charlie's involvement with the band he has soared even higher in my estimation. So when his debut solo album 'Love Form' was released earlier this year I immediately bought it... and certainly wasn't disappointed. It's an amazing album that's right up my film score-loving alley. 

When he announced that he would be performing 'Love Form' in London in May I booked a ticket straight away. Unfortunately the show had to be cancelled. Thankfully another date was arranged nearer to home (his, not mine) in Bath and last Friday that's where I found myself for the very first time. It's certainly a beautiful city that I had a chance to briefly explore before checking in at my hotel. (Which turned out to be considerably further outside of Bath than I realised - resulting in a £20 taxi ride. Ouch!)

Heading back into the city centre (via a much more financially appealing £2.20 bus ride) I made my way to Chapel Arts. Knowing that, like seemingly 9 out of 10 musicians, Charlie is a smoker I hung around outside, certain that he would put in an appearance. Sure enough after about ten minutes out he came. I'd previously met Charlie in April at The Sage in Gateshead and he remembered me. He's a really nice guy and after chatting for a few minutes he kindly invited me in for the soundcheck. Inside I met up with the other musicians who would be performing with him - three of whom, drummer Rob Brian, multi-instrumentalist Ted Benham, and guitarist (in this instance not performing but producing the show) Steve Evans, I know quite well having met them many, many times when playing with my beloved Siouxsie.

The soundcheck was great fun and lasted a couple of hours. The gig was really well attended and the electrifying performance went down a treat with the very appreciative audience. After the show who did I see in the audience but our very own Mr. Gregory. I'm kicking myself for not going up and speaking to him - but I'm terribly shy and he appeared to be chatting to friends. Sadly he left before I could pluck up the courage to approach him. If he puts in an appearance at the RAH show and I get the opportunity to talk to him then I definitely will.

All in all it was a terrific day and I just hope that Charlie will be inspired by the gig's success to do it again.

Here's a picture of me with, as I term them, the "Mantaray dream team" (L-R: Charlie, me, Steve, Rob, Ted)...

• 6 Comments sorted by
  • Nice story John. Did Charles make any comment about you having his face on your tee shirt? I wonder if this spooks some artistes? Is it jazz orientated music? I can't say I have heard it but would like to know more.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Cheers, UT. He did indeed comment about the tee - very positively, I might add. He thought it was great and kept pointing it out to everyone. It's kind of hard to describe his music. There's certainly a jazz element to it but it's closer to film music. As a lifelong film score fanatic I can detect the infuence of John Barry, Lalo Schifrin, Bernard Herrmann and Burt Bacharach woven into the musical fabric. I can also hear shades of the music he created with Siouxsie. There's keyboards, strings, guitar, percussion and all manner of bits and pieces plus wordless female vocals. Oh and Charlie played his legendary see-through electric bass and his double bass on stage. And one track features Alison whistling! 

It's certainly not going to be everyone's cup of tea - even Goldfrapp fans - but I love it.
  • I used to wear a Toyah Tee to her concerts with her face on it (still got that one as well) and I thought it must be odd then seeing a sea of people in a crowd, a lot with your face looking back at you. We must all look like acolytes to them !
    I saw Siouxsie a couple of times in the 80's on the tour where she fell off stage and broke her leg. She did most of that tour with her leg in plaster and sitting on a tall stool with a long cane. It was around the time that Cities in Dust was released and they did that on stage with dancers wearing skeleton costumes. I can't remember if the guitarist was John McGeoch or Robert Smith. Of course, the others were the dependable Siouxsie, Steve Severin and Budgie. I think I still have a ticket stub from the Ipswich Gaumont.
    The last place I saw them on that tour was the Royal Albert Hall strangely!
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-09-08 19:25:04
  • I saw 'em several times on that tour, including the RAH. (John Valentine Carruthers was their guitarist at that juncture.) The gig at the Nottingham Royal Centre on 05/11/85 stands out in particular for a decidedly surreal incident. A group of us were hanging round the stage door when it started to open. Who would it be? Siouxsie? Steven? Budgie? Nope. It was... comedy legend Ken Dodd! Turns out he was due to perform there over Christmas and had presumably been at the venue for a meeting. I think I can safely say he was the last person any of us expected to see.
  • I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • This is the track Charlie refers to in this film and played a bit of - 'Dove Magic'
    Sort of Goldfrapp goes Jazz/Swingle Singers infusion
    http://youtu.be/ZM1B-dn5frs

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!