Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Kate Bush - Before the Dawn - WARNING - CONCERT SPOILERS!
  • Well, it's finally here. The lack of uploading onto YouTube is
    impressive and reporting with any musical sample from the night
    virtually non existent. DVD release anybody?
    Also, the actual running order is in great dispute. On Setlist.fm, it
    started with 24 songs, in the last 5 were 'Army Dreaming', 'Babooshka'
    and the last song was ' The Man with the child in his eyes'. Since then,
    it has been edited at least 24 times and now none of these songs are on
    the list as being played. These edits were not by one person, but at
    least 8 different people; all putting forward a different view of what
    was played.
    I am not going. A pity, as I would have liked to,  but I knew the tickets would be major pain to
    acquire. I have to say though, the lack of earlier songs would have
    disappointed me. Still, I did wander off Kate a bit after Hounds of
    Love, although I did buy Aerial.
    Anyone else picked up any gos from the first show?
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-09-04 06:28:12
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • 34 Comments sorted by
  • This is the first nights set list.  Waiting for ones from subsequent shows to compare and see if the show changes.
  • And the BBC review that Appy mentioned elsewhere.

Kate Bush - Before the Dawn review
  • So, if you are here, you are either not going to see KB at the EA or you are cool with knowing what is likely to be played.
    As I said, the lack of anything from the first four albums seems a bit odd. I loved Kate from the start and took back my first 5 copies of 'The Kick Inside' as it was a notoriously bad vinyl pressing and had way to much crackling on it ( what we called cereal complex - snap, crackle and pop?? . Moving on).
    Anyway, BBC4 had a 'The BBC scours it's archives for Kate Bush related material because she is famous again' program, and it did contain a lot of interesting early performances from Kate, a lot of them done live or at least a live vocal over tape. Well worth a watch if you can find it repeated on BBC4 or IPlayer. It features the following:
    Wuthering Heights
    Them Heavy People
    Moving
    Don't put your foot on the heartbreak
    Wow!
    Hammer Horror
    The wedding list
    The man with the child in his eyes (fab performance)
    Babooshka
    Running up that hill
    The Hounds of Love
    Experiment IV
    The sensual world (with a vocal that sounds a lot like Alison)
    This woman's work
    Rocket man (an Elton John cover ) ?
    And So is Love. (Kate's last performance to date on the BBC in 1994).

• There's bootlegs on Dime from the shows on the 26th and 27th, and there's a crappier version of the 26th on Soudcloud too, if anyones interested.
    Post edited by rewak at 2014-08-30 14:18:36
  • I went on Wednesday and it was something quite unique and special. Was I disappointed that there wasn't anything off the first albums? A tiny bit but I never thought I'd ever hear the 9th Wave live so that kind of made up for it.
  • Pooka said:

I went on Wednesday and it was something quite unique and special. Was I disappointed that there wasn't anything off the first albums? A tiny bit but I never thought I'd ever hear the 9th Wave live so that kind of made up for it.

I guess your viewpoint on this is how you think of Kate. As I have said, I was into Kate at the beginning with The Kick Inside, then Lionheart, then Never Forever, which I loved and is my favourite full album, then The Dreaming. After this, my musical taste began to move back towards rock music and although I bought Hounds of Love, it was more out of habit rather than what I was into. I would obviously have a fondness for the tracks from those first 4 albums, NFE in particular, so after a 35 year wait, I would have found the absence of any tracks from that time a bit disappointing. That said, and as mentioned before, everyone rolls differently so if it delivered for you Pooka, you must have been very happy. It is nice to have her back and, hopefully, she may decide to perform something from the older catalogue at another time.
  • I might have produced it thus:

A. Opening Set

1.The Sensual World
    2. The Man with the Child in his Eyes
    3. Wow
    4. Breathing
    5. The Dreaming
    6. Running up That Hill
    7. Hounds of Love
    8. Cloudbusting

B. The Ninth Wave

C. A Sky of Honey

D. Encore:

1. Babooshka
    2. The Big Sky
    3. Wuthering Heights
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Nice. That would have had me hitting the Vaseline . Having Wuthering at the end is probably not right and I would like to have seen Moving in there as well. The track "The Kick Inside" would have been a nice ending to the show, if she wanted it to be reflective and a platform for the audience to just erupt as that song just ends and hangs with the sustain on the piano...
    The face of a genius !
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-08-31 06:01:31
  • Pooka said:

I guess your viewpoint on this is how you think of Kate. As I have said, I was into Kate at the beginning with The Kick Inside, then Lionheart, then Never Forever, which I loved and is my favourite full album, then The Dreaming. After this, my musical taste began to move back towards rock music and although I bought Hounds of Love, it was more out of habit rather than what I was into. I would obviously have a fondness for the tracks from those first 4 albums, NFE in particular, so after a 35 year wait, I would have found the absence of any tracks from that time a bit disappointing. That said, and as mentioned before, everyone rolls differently so if it delivered for you Pooka, you must have been very happy. It is nice to have her back and, hopefully, she may decide to perform something from the older catalogue at another time.

I am with you with regards to preferring the earlier stuff. I would say I'm more a fan of the work up to and including Hounds of Love than the latter although I can't really specify why. I just remember being around the age of 6 listening to Hounds of Love when it came out in my parents car and I really liked the 9th Wave as it was a style of music I had never heard before. I did honestly think that she would play some of the older stuff but I do feel a bit guilty for feeling that way because I've managed to experience something I never thought I would and others haven't been so fortunate.
    With regards to her not doing Wuthering Heights, I didn't expect to hear it, I'm not sure her voice can sing that high anymore.
  • I agree Pooka. Wuthering was an outstanding track at the time. A breath of fresh air after seemly endless spitting and the sheer raw sound of punk. After all this time, still a very interesting track but not my favourite from those early years. It still make me stop and think that Kate wrote the words, in fact, came up with the concept of the Man with the Child in his Eyes at the age of 13. Such complex thought processes in the mind of someone so young just demonstrates what an amazing talent she was and still is. A shame she spent so long in a state of hibernation and there is a bit of me that looks at thing like "new song, sung by Kate's son, Bertie" that makes me wonder if a small part of this is an attempt to introduce Bertie as the KB legacy.
    Pleased you enjoyed it. That is what concert attendance is all about. Will be interesting to get other attendees views once they have been and are then prepared to breach their embargo on this thread!
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-08-31 16:27:40
  • Ah, for the nostalgic amongst us.

• Wow!

• And in Kate's own words, at that time, her greatest work to date.  A seminal piece.

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-08-31 15:02:26
  • It would be great if she did like Kraftwerk did where they played one album in it's entirety each night. No visuals to worry about, just the music.
  • But Kate has always insisted that the visual/performance dimensions were integral to her music. Plus, she has stated that she'd always wanted to do something visual with her Ninth Wave and that there were time and/or money restrictions.
    If I were dead, could I do this?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!