Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
UK reigns as most friendly LGBT country
  • 37 Comments sorted by
  • please don't make fun of me
    mahogany= my agony
    'the wind...the wind'

• I believe this may be close?? https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071011105512AAJPcvN

Funny, when I enter just, crumbs, it goes on talking about, pie/bread crumbs. Darn it! there was another UK English term meaning, can't think of it now.
    Post edited by banana at 2014-06-20 22:28:16
    mahogany= my agony
    'the wind...the wind'

• Pet said:

I think that I intended to express surprise.

If we're the best, it's probably because most British people don't care about such things.  Also -- homophobic attacks continue in London.  (There was an especially bad one in Vauxhall recently.)  I can't help wondering: if we're the best, how bad is everyone else?

Hello-I read this and it made me very sad then angry. I mean homophobic attacks continue in London?! Why don't your elected officials make this a "Hate Crime," we have that here in the United States. Why don't people demand that this issue be addressed? I mean, this is the 21st Century! This MUST be stopped!

I have a question, if you are a British citizen, how does one go about writing to your H.R.H. the Queen?
    Could I write to your Majesty, I wonder how would I address the envelope?
    mahogany= my agony
    'the wind...the wind'

• I'll be reading that site a lot! What I'd love to know if, H.R.H. if she enjoyed the movie, "The Queen." If it was a true account of your life. And what kind of music do you enjoy? What is your favorite works by "Shakespeare?" How are the gardens growing? What's your favorite flavor of tea? What was it like meeting Marilyn Monroe? I wonder if she ever saw the movie, "My Week With Marilyn.?"

I think about a lot of things. xxx
    mahogany= my agony
    'the wind...the wind'

• ^QKatRobin; OK-Stop right there. Things I am learning in life. If asked an awkward and/or personal question? You talk about something else. It's not there business to know who you love. If a pupil asks that question change the subject. The pupil will most likely respond with a cocky attitude, well, we have to tell you things when you ask us? Then you say, yes, because I'm doing my job.
    And gay bulling in schools or anywhere, must be stopped. I could say something about being bullied in school. I had to drop out because of it! I would starve myself over lunch period because I wouldn't know where to sit. And I wanted to learn so much about everything. Being psychologically damaged like that I had to drop out at the eighth grade. Add that with being physically beaten and screamed at by an evil step-father. My real father drank himself to death.

And let us not forget the issue of Gay Marriage, If ever I'm up against it,,,I simply say, I'm not for gay marriage for the same reason I'm not for straight marriage. That usually stuns them and shut them up!
    Post edited by banana at 2014-06-23 18:14:08
    mahogany= my agony
    'the wind...the wind'

• Hm, was B talking about comments in this thread? I thought so at first, but I re-read...

I tapped the wrong key, my comment was to KatRobin. HJ, I just have to say that I think your guesthouse is absolutely breathtaking! I could never afford to travel to your land, so I like to pretend I'm on that beach with those huge rocks!! And I look at what the bedrooms look like and pretend that is my bed. And you get a whole English breakfast! And I pretend I'm with you and we are watching TV and you are telling me all about different shows. And Oscar your pet dog is so pretty, I'd ask may I please take her for a walk? It made me very happy to see you are booked solid through Sept. For some reason I like to stare at the fireplace and that shiny wood antiques all around.

Well, it's 2:02 AM and I'm not sleepy at all. Little by little you all are helping. xxxxxx
    Post edited by banana at 2014-06-24 02:21:13
    mahogany= my agony
    'the wind...the wind'

• KatRobin said:

It seems that we are making progress in this country with the legal side of things, but there are always going to be small minded bullies and frustrated conformists, and it seems that the use of the word gay as a pejorative is on the rise, esp in schools. The statistics bear this out and are very sad. Stonewall have wonderful resources for teachers to help counter homophobic bullying in schools ( I got my pack and the posters will be going up!!). As a Sex Ed teacher, I have to be careful obviously that I encourage debate among the pupils, and I can't always share my own personal ones ( I have to hear some many crazy and ignorant comments, but then they are inexperienced teenagers, and it's my job to offer them alternatives objectively). My biggest dilemma is whether to ( matter of factly if asked) tell the pupils I'm in a same sex relationship..after all, my colleagues all know, the kids wouldn't be interested after a week ....and by not saying it, then it could be suggested I'm ashamed ( I most certainly am not!!). The sad thing is there are bigots among the adults..... When I told the first one, 8 years ago ( this was someone who I thought was my friend) she went and blabbed in the staff room within 5 minutes, literally. We didn't remain friends, but that's another story. ..Anyone else had a similar experience?

Things I am learning in life. If asked an awkward and/or personal question? You talk about something else. It's not there business to know who you love. If a pupil asks that question change the subject. The pupil will most likely respond with a cocky attitude, well, we have to tell you things when you ask us? Then you say, yes, because I'm doing my job.
    And gay bulling in schools or anywhere, must be stopped. I could say something about being bullied in school. I had to drop out because of it! I would starve myself over lunch period because I wouldn't know where to sit. And I wanted to learn so much about everything. Being psychologically damaged like that I had to drop out at the eighth grade. Add that with being physically beaten and screamed at by an evil step-father. My real father drank himself to death.

And let us not forget the issue of Gay Marriage, If ever I'm up against it,,,I simply say, I'm not for gay marriage for the same reason I'm not for straight marriage. That usually stuns them and shut them up!
    mahogany= my agony
    'the wind...the wind'

• Pet said:

Crumbs!

Does that mean good or bad? Sometimes I don't understand certain UK English expressions.
    Post edited by banana at 2014-06-20 19:03:57
    mahogany= my agony
    'the wind...the wind'

• Go for it Pet. Can't wait for your explanation of the term 'crumbs' to people from the colonies !
    Blimey ! ( a contraction of the original oath 'God Blind Me').
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-06-20 20:36:23
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Not doing so my friend. Just can't wait for Pet's explanation. Crumbs is one of those quintessential British phrases that is oh so hard to explain unless you are...well, British, I suppose.
    Have you checked out my post of a Yes Sir video from a BBC Glastonbury support program from about 10 years ago, as I see you were interested in this song the other day
  • I have Gelotophobia very badly. But I am, learning to, ah, learning to changing ones mask so to speak.
    mahogany= my agony
    'the wind...the wind'

• It just means "gosh!". It doesn't particularly signify approval or disapproval.
  • I would agree HJ as Gosh being the closest approximation to Crumbs.
    Nothing to do with bread Banana as far as I am aware.
    Your link was interesting as I had forgotten 'struth' was a constriction of 'it's the truth'.
    Blimey is now seen as 'polite' swearing. The type you could use in front of a vicar ( even though it is, strictly, blasphemous). Interestingly, the term 'bollocks' and 'bugger' seem to be losing their impact as well and can be heard coming from otherwise quite innocent looking people.
  • I love lesbians! I used to design magazine covers for them.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!