Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Prized possessions, iconic items you own - Go on, big 'em up !
  • In perhaps the longest thread name; and as decided by a committee of Ping, Wild Corgi and moi, let's see your prized possessions, with photos.
    Have a feeling we could be here some time ! Need to take a photo or two but will start the ball rolling with a Rock-Ola 1455 D 200 select Jukebox. Originally from the States, shipped over by a dealer in Lough in Lincolnshire (Beyst Jukebox Co) and visited by Mrs T and myself one very foggy day in a warehouse full of these beauties. We had her restored and, well, she is a real icon. 2 years older than me, all valves and gears a whirrs and whooshes as she spins. And the smell.. Gorgeous.
    One of my prized possessions.And before anyone asks; yes, it does use 7" vinyl.  CD versions are cheating!
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-05-30 16:05:09
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • 14 Comments sorted by
  • Well, have to say, a bit surprised at the lack of posts in this thread. Maybe nobody owns anything they think of as iconic or prized, perhaps you are all off taking photos (ping, wild_corgi, I thought you had stuff in mind).
    Appy thinks I went in too hot with the jukebox. Maybe so but the intention was not for things to be expensive (if you have a 1966 red E type anywhere though, get it on here) but for things that you hold in some reverence and would be the first things you would run into a burning building to pull out. As an example, these cost nothing. The back story also sounds like a small claim to fame from the 6 music breakfast show.
    Many years ago, when I was a kid, I spent the summer holidays on my uncles (well my God father actually) farm. He had a daughter, Jayne, 4 years older than me. He also had a brother in law called Sid Archer and Sid's Son and his wife worked as driver/handyman and housekeeper for.....John Bonham ! One day, Sid rang his son when John was home. Jayne was a Led Zeppelin fan so Sid asked if John would come to the phone and speak to her. He did for about 10 minutes and it made Jayne's day/week/month/year.
    Where is this going? About 2 weeks later, Sid came back to the farm and said to me, 'I've got something for you', and produced out of his bag 2 black and white photos of John and one of the whole band, signed by John.
    They sit in pride of place on the lounge wall.
    In that fire situation, after Mrs T and the dog, I would be pushing out that jukebox with these two pictures balanced on top !

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-06-05 19:30:04
  • Well UT, in the burning building situation (God forbid), then after the scramble for pets, photos,....I am a passionate collector of crystals and gemstones. I've been a serious collector for over 20 years and have them all over the place. I would have to rescue a few of the rarest and most valuable, and my slab of Jurassic dinosaur poo, cos that amuses me!! I wonder if anyone else on here collects them or anything else ( other than Goldfrapp stuff) ? I'm interested in their healing properties but mostly it's their geology and beauty that fascinates me.
  • I have a copy of 'a book of dreams' by Peter reich, it's out of print now so it's getting harder to get hold of. It's the book that inspired Kate bush's song cloudbusting. I think I'd take that with me.
    Post edited by ping at 2014-06-06 02:56:57
  • Trevor and Simon - signed postcard.

Saying 'Matt swing your  pants'
  • ^ that sounds brilliant. loved those guys. your post made me look at videos of them on youtube, i'm still chuckling.
  • Any e-type.  But, I have a vintage 2009 Hyundai Accent?
  • We need photos of the iconic items, so we can all go ohhh!
    Maybe not the Hyundai Accent though, unless is a prized possession WW!
  • OK - so after much peer pressure from UT here's my offering (it's alright for you lot you can switch him off I live next door!)

This is one of my prized possessions and didn't cost anything. This is a Barograph an instrument for measuring and recording atmospheric air pressure. It belonged to my Dad who was a scientific technician working for the Medical Research Council. Part of his job was to monitor radiation fallout and the effect on the human body, this was one of his instruments back in the day. Interestingly he could tell when the Ruskies or you Yanks were testing nuclear devices on the other side of the world - there was a spike in fallout levels in the UK two days later! Nice
    Post edited by Appy61 at 2014-06-06 15:06:53
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • Wow Appy! Difficult to tell how big it is...cos of the camera angle? Does it fill the room or am I being stoooopid?
  • It sits on the mantlepiece Kat, about 9" wide by 7" high.
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • Appy61 said:

It sits on the mantlepiece Kat, about 9" wide by 7" high.

Aww! We could have kidded Kat for days that she would be about as big as that spring !
  • Hmm...it's a good job that it's me who posts and not my other half, who is a little vertically challenged!
  • KatRobin said:

Hmm...it's a good job that it's me who posts and not my other half, who is a little vertically challenged!

Adds to stalkers notes - Greenwich gig, block NE, row F, seats 9 @ 10. Kat taller; Cath shorter !
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-06-08 14:32:26
  • Ha ha! She's the pretty one too! I'm the geek.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!