Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • Wow. If any of you are into new music (and seeing it live) you need to check out The Great Escape. Brilliant. I want to go next year (but not stay at someones house who isn't really up for the intense 'music junkie' type experience i like). I missed half of saturday being sociable when i really wanted to see more bands!!

I saw about 24 bands (and a few odd bits of songs from others). The only 2 bad ones were ones our host wanted to randomly drop into to on Saturday afternoon. Bad idea they were awful - i did a runner on my own (very easy and satisfying at GE). Worth doing your homework as there is so much cool stuff if you look past the NME recommends type stuff! More than half the bands were not from the UK and for many this was their first UK gig. Also the gigs were so small you ended up standing next to band people you had just seen at another gig :-).

My best acts!!!

OY - Genre breaking artist and totally captivating live. From Switzerland of all places. Think an African M.I.A., a world music Cornelius, electro world music. A must see live act. One of this gigs where half the audience end up grinning and half the audience wear a look of confusion. The best kind of gig. After these nothing seems to sum up 'new' music! CHECK THEM OUT!!

Yumi and the weather - We meet her by the shark pool in the aquarium (after a secret acoustic gig) and I had dreams about her that night. Saw with full band who were a bit mad but she is a star.

Paul Thomas Saunders - Think chilled Coldplay with a Vangelis obsession. Probably the perfect band to perform in a church as he had an amazing almost angelic voice. St Mary's church was and amazing venue. The crowd were very respectful… maybe it's because it was a church!

Phantogram -  What more can i say. The PA was totally unbalanced and the venue smelt of piss… but they were still amazing. Then again i am a big fan. Main reason for going to GE. Standing 1 metre infront of Sarah (well her crotch) may have helped, but the drummer (spit of Josh Homme) really made it. They have stage presence and of course some amazing songs that work great live. Why this band are not getting more coverage in the UK is beyond me.

Courtney Barnett - The one 'big name' band I saw. I liked the singles but was not expecting the power of her live show and to love her that much. Way better than on record. She rocked but still had the lovely country slacker vibe. Brilliant lyrics. Big star of future. Bit in love with her as well!

Seachange - Norwegian dark Electronic pixie with talented band. Reminded me of the dark Royskopp tracks.

Samaris - Hypnotic Icelandic Electronic pixie with talented band. Think Múm with Bjork's cute little sister singing. Absolutely adorable ;-).

Amartoski - Captivating Belgium Electronic pixie with talented band… yes there is a pattern (it's not all alt rock and ladies with guitars if you look through the listings!) Check out their album TBC. Amazing drummer.

BRNS
    - The Belgium Foals with singing drummer and lots of percussion.

Hidden Orchestra - Cinematic trip hop jazz collective. Got through crap sound to make a sound Portishead used to make, but bigger.

Jon Hopkins - Big name but saw by default as i wanted to see Hidden Orchestra. Never got into the record. The live show really helped. It war like a rave for 'beard stroking electronic fans. Great video backdrops.

September Girls - 90's girl retro drone rock (think Chameleons via Lush). Nothing new but very enjoyable.

Tigertown - Aussie Haim but with better songs and without the shit singing!

Also great were STATS, Honeyblood, Ethan Johns, Pale Grey, Charlie Cunningham, a canadian rap/hip hop band (of all things not my usual choice) Grand Analog and… for all those Juanita Stein (Howling Bells) fans I saw her playing guitar (in a basement with a bout 40 people) with the drummer from Kasier Chiefs new '60s french rock' band Albert Albert. :-)

…and that's missing most of saturday.

I also found out i was 20 metres from a secret Tom Vek gig (watching STATS) on Thursday. Which is a bit disappointing but to be honest it was a miracle I made the weekend at all and was just glam to be there. Will keep me going all year.

Post edited by tattmaylor at 2014-05-16 17:32:57
  • 4 Comments sorted by
  • Wow. That's some post! It will take a bit of time to work through these.
    Re Tigertown. You forgot and without looking like a Moose.
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-05-16 17:32:21
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Many thanks, Tattmaylor.

Just started to watch some of these out and both Seachange and Samaris are superb. Look forward to checking out the rest.
  • Cheers for this, will be checking them out.
  • Me too.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!