Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
The Great Escape Festival, Brighton (not Goldfrapp related)
  • ...just wondered if anybody has been to it?

Like SXSW type thing but in Brighton. Intrigued to know how it actually works.

• 5 Comments sorted by
  • Ive never managed it. Always been in Brighton the day after. In my opinion some of the venues are a fair walk apart in that city. I seem to remember long walks from Concorde 2, Pressure point (rip that place). I presume it operates same as Camden crawl but less busy. I.e. wrist bands and joyful queing to get into popular gigs.
    Post edited by thathurt at 2014-03-28 09:15:15
  • ^ We are staying at friends in Brighton who recommends it so going on that. Hope Brighton crowd are less critic lead than Camden. I do fancy Little Dragon and Countney Barnet but I'm guessing they will be popular. I don't think I will even attempt Future Islands!

I was intrigued at qeueing issues. Most bands I want to see will be totally new so i'm guessing that won't a be  problem. I'm not doing the  extra money gigs but have a feeling i am going to have to queue for Phantogram.
    At Camden how early do you have to queue for a big name?
  • I haven't been to a camden one. It really does depend (from smaller London ones I have been to) on the size of the venue and how crowded it is. Security count em in and out when its full capacity so it can vary greatly.      Crowds are v fickle so its worth coming back again if i queue is too big when you first see it.  Brighton is more laid back tho. Id recommend printing an itinerary so you don't miss your bands/forget when drink :) . Esp if some bands are running late. Some venues might be near to each other which could be handy. 
  • I was there for 1 day back in 2010, especially to see Katzenjammer. In fact, it wasn't even the whole day as I didn't get in to Brighton until 4.30pm. It was a case of getting to the Queen's Hotel as quickly as I could to exchange my ticket for the wristband and programme (which had the timetable and maps).
    There were 36 venues in all, many of which are reasonably close, although depending on timings a 15 minute walk between venues wasn't unusual (and that didn't include Concorde 2).

I ended up seeing 4 bands that night. In addition to Katzenjammer @Coalition, I saw Esben & the Witch @ Horatio's on the Pier, Erland & the Carnival @ Komedia Theatre and Lonelady @ Komedia Studio Bar. No problems getting in to these. The only one I couldn't get in to was the Jim Jones Revue @ The Hope. I realised, in retrospect, that I missed seeing an early gig from Anna Calvi. She wasn't well known then so I've forgiven myself.

It was a good vibe, all in all, and if there's no great problems with queues or bands you want to see being on at the same time, anyone should have a good time.
    Post edited by KeithJ_gmb at 2014-04-29 17:59:37
  • ^ Cheers. Man it's time consuming going through band list but found a few exciting names. Will have to make a type of plan of attack (my mate won't bother) as i don't want to waste time with a shit band when i have a choice of 5 + others a stone throw away! Just ticky trying to work out what will be popular.

There is a guy called Paul Thomas Saunders who looks amazing but can't judge how many people know.

Phantogram will keep me happy though. 

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!