Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  •  
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2018-04-08 09:17:46
  • 17 Comments sorted by
  • "We're so sorry! This video is not available in your location", so I can't comment on the video itself, unfortunately.

It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • Oh!  That's too bad.  I'll make a note in the original post.  I've run into the same on some BBC things.  Weird that it's not all of them.
  • I must admit I haven't followed what's been going on since their release from prison. Vladimir Putin made a few 'gestures' ahead of the Olympics, but it doesn't alter the repression going down under his regime.

I never thought I would see the day a protest beer was launched but here we are:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/news/vladimir-putin-not-for-gays-protest-beer-launched-by-scottish-brewery-brewdog-9108835.html
    Post edited by Border_Mind at 2014-02-05 19:43:55
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • This isn't that clear, but let's see if it works.
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • I had been reading about the goings-on via text. The old way.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • Thanks for the video link Ponygurl, is the interviewer for real? 'Vladimir is a friend of mine'.
    Post edited by Border_Mind at 2014-02-06 12:36:54
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • Colbert is a satirist. Perhaps the best in the land.

And I would like it acknowledged that I haven't made one pussy joke this whole thread.
    Post edited by iuventus at 2014-02-06 12:39:00
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • In Putin's Russia pussy jokes make you!
    I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • Good interviews (and jokes) - can't help noticing the lack of interest in this from supposedly serious politicos, leaving allegedly frivolous girlie artists* like Madge and Gaga to back the Pussy Riot girls consistently and speak up for them.

(*Oh, and Patti Smith, but you know what I mean).
  •  Serious 'politicos' in music  probably feel  put to shame next to Pussy Riot, especially the punk rockers, most of them  write songs about their apparent anger at the establishment, whilst Pussy Riot took direct action.

It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • And did a fair bit of time in a gulag or two.

You're right, Border_Mind, and I do wonder how many serious politicos in music there are now in any case - there's a lot of cross over between being branded as a serious arty musician into current affairs while actually being a tragic hipster who is into posing ...

I mean, offer a tragic hipster a molotov cocktail and they'd prolly think it was some ironic name for a vodka mix, and drink it. (Mind, on my meaner days, I would pay cash money down to see that happen...)
  • True wild_corgi, your bang on right about lack of politicos in music. I think the days of serious comment seem to be long gone, if you look at the sheer variety of pop music which rallied against Thatcher at the time, well it would sure be nice to hear a bit of pop music that was giving Cameron what for.
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • I think in the UK we don't get that level of angry music because our politics/politicians are so friggin bland! You couldn't even squeeze an episode of spitting image out of this lot let alone an punk anthem of rage!
  • Yeah it's like Spitting Image's vegetables from Margaret Thatcher sketches got their own spin off series.

The angriest I can remember a musician getting nowadays was Jonny Marr furiously forbidding Cameron to like the Smiths' music ...
  • ^
    I'm glad that happened and think it only fair, many great Smiths tunes were written against the likes of Cameron and not for them, and that's the way it should be.

Did any of you see 'Pussy Riot A Punk Prayer', it was shown on BBC4 a while back (and think it's on DVD now too), I  must say I was surprised that Maria Alyokhina mentioned the Spice Girls as some kind of childhood inspiration,  I'm fairly sure their definition of Girl Power wasn't meant to inspire Pussy Riot. I never thought I would say this but at least something good came from the Spice Girls :-O
    Post edited by Border_Mind at 2014-02-22 17:35:12
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!