Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • Yep, it that time of year. Compile your lists and post on here. See what we all liked this year. Good Year? Bad Year?

1. IAMX - Unified Field 

1. Arcade Fire - Reflektor

Reflektor is probably my Album of the Year for pure ambition and unexpected change in direction. It wasn't just a case of doing a couple of 'dancey' tracks then falling back on their usual (like most big bands do) they totally changed! Also i can't remember an album with so much expectation as this actually delivering in quality for years. Also seeing/hearing the Reflektor video for the first time was one of those 'wow!' moments of the year for me.

BUT the thing is there is something about Chris Corner's voice (IAMX) and how it connects it's melancholy with me (especially as he has been hospitalised this year from insomnia) that feels so real to me. Add to that his unique dark 80's inspired production and arrangments it produces an album i'm always excited to play. So Unified Field is still my emotional choice as Album of The Year!

2. John Grant - Pale Green Ghosts

Rather like Goldfrapp he can switch styles with each song and still make a coherent album. Don't often listen to lyrics but GMF is not only a beautiful song (amazing sinead backing v's as well) but also best lyric of the year. It's funny it could fit with any outsider (gay or straight). SONG OF THE YEAR and a great radio version as well. Vietnam is also a song I could have written about my loved one ;-)

3. Outfit - Performance

Underrated album/artist of the year. Like mashing Radiohead with Royksopp. What Atoms of Peace should have sounded like instead of the 'jam' album they actually produced. Can't believe they have been forgotten this year when artists like Alt-j win music prises.

4. Bent - From The Vaults 1998- 2006

4. Napoleon - Magpies

SImon Mills an unsung electronic genius. From the Vaults is 'just some tracks' he and Nail (who make up Bent) had laying around from the last 13 years. A double album (40 odd tracks) of that quality ....just laying around?? Amazing.

Magpies is the second album from Simon's solo project of Bent like chill. Layer upon layer of sugary electronica.

5. Sigur Ros - Kveikur

5. Daughter - If You Leave

Playing guitars with a bow never sounded so good! Sigur Ros were finally back to form with the raw Icelandic power not heard since second half of (). The Brennisteinn video was my second 'wow' moment of the year was not expecting them to come back like that!

Also saw an the amazing gig at Eden Project, a gig where they had the prefect support from Daughter, the Ros inspired Brits' with the added fragility of Elena Tonra's dulcet tones. Amazing live aswell.

6. Prefab Sprout - Crimson Red

When I first heard 'The Best Jewel Thief in the World' I thought, my god, Paddy has got his mojo back. His best since Jordan. Then found out it was written just after Jordan. Still lovely to hear him again. Just a pity they didn't send over the masters to Thomas (Dolby) to give them a polish.

7. Marnie - Crystal World

Ever since I heard Witching Hour I though there were some Marnie 'torch songs' trying to get out from the Ladytron synth backdrop. To be honest Ladytron, for me, had lost direction on the following albums. They had flashes of brilliance but didn't seem to know where they were going in direction. So this is a return to form for at least half of Ladytron (Marnie and Dan) and a much more coherent offering and proves that Ladytron was not all Daniel on the songwriting front. Apparently Gold was the last track they did so I would be intrigued if she kept going.

8. Joy Formidable - Wolf's Law

Probably unfashionable at the moment with their stadium sound but for me they are like MUSE without all the posing and pretention but with the added addition of a  feisty welsh lady on lead vocals. Pop rock riffs at their finest.

9. Goldfrapp - Tales of Us

Still not sure how i feel about this record. It is beautiful, melodic, emotive, filmic, etc... but I'm not excited as i have been about past records. I think albums can be as much about timing as quality. Goldfrapp have always brought out the right sound at the right time. I just think this is the right album at the wrong time for me.

10 Frankie Rose - Herein Wild 

Discovery of the year! 

Post edited by tattmaylor at 2013-12-16 06:37:40
  • 34 Comments sorted by
  • and..
    11 NYPC - NYPC
    12 Mister & Mississippi - Mister & Mississippi (thanks Dreeke)
    13 Ólafur Arnalds - For Now I Am Winter
    14 Vector Lovers - IPhonica
    15 Frightened Rabbit - Pedestrian Verse
    16 Emika - Dva (thanks Carpy)
    17 Holy Ghost - Dynamics
    18 Boards of Canada - Tomorrows Harvest
    19 Doldrums - Lesser Evil
    20 Gary Numan - Splinter
    21 Kitchens of Distinction - Folly
    22 Tricky - False Idols
    23 Janelle Monáe - Electric Lady
    24 Laura Mvula - Sing To The Moon
    25 Everything Everything - Arc
    26 Foals - Holy Fire
    27 Sad Day for Puppets - Come Closer
    28 Emiliana Torrini - Tookah
    29 Lorde - Pure Heroine
    30 Hunger Games soundtrack.... very brave choice of artists for a mainstream film :-)
    Post edited by tattmaylor at 2013-12-16 05:19:51
  • Off the top of my head. Goldfrapp, Anna Calvi, GaGa, Britney, Black Sabbath and HAIM.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • Here's my list:

10. Anouk - Sad Singalong Songs
    9. James Blake - Overgrown
    8. Lorde - Pure Heroine
    7. Chvrches - The Bones Of What You Believe
    6. Charlie Jones - Love Form
    5. Sumie - Sumie
    4. Caitlin Rose - The Stand-In
    3. John Grant - Pale Green Ghosts
    2. Emma Louise - Vs. Head Vs. Heart
    1. Goldfrapp - Tales Of Us

A LOT of bubbling under this year. Will post some of those later...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • ^
    What, Anouk off this forum?? She's a talented lass :P
  • We'll ask her to give us a tune when she's next in the UK for a gig :)

I've bought a couple of dozen new albums this year and heard a few more. No surprise as to what my favourite is:

"Tales of Us" - Goldfrapp
    When Alison mentioned that it shared DNA with 'Felt Mountain' & 'Seventh Tree', I knew it was my kind of album and so it proved. Emotional, affecting & lusciously cinematic. A cohesive, yet diverse album with possibly Alison's most accessible lyrics yet, I've warmed to, and been absorbed by each of the tales. The experience has, if anything, been enhanced by those 2 wonderful premieres in Manchester and Lisa's beautiful films. I would hope that the box set, the cinema release & the UK tour next Spring builds on that to make this era my favourite yet.

One or two tricky decisions to make regarding the rest of my top 10 but I'm settled on the following (not in list order):

"One Breath" - Anna Calvi
    "Push The Sky Away" - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
    "Pale Green Ghosts" - John Grant
    "If You Wait" - London Grammar
    "Monkey Minds in the Devil's Time" - Steve Mason
    "Sing to the Moon" - Laura Mvula
    "Aventine" - Agnes Obel
    "Tookah" - Emiliana Torrini
    "Mosquito" - Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Just missing out on the top 10 - Sigur Ros; Lisa Knapp; Little Boots; Lanterns on the Lake; Coco Rosie.

• Oh gawd im shit at this. Not bought much this year.

NYPC
    Summer camp
    Chvrches (really not bad at all)
    Arcade fire
    Goldfrapp
    MEN & JD Samson
    CSS (not as good without main songwriter but c'mon)
    Nadine Shah.

I still forgot to buy that Helen Marnie album....
  • There's some beautiful songs on the Knife album. But theres some shit on it too.

Polica album is a bit patchy. I wanted more.
  • Tales Of Us - Goldfrapp.

The only cd i've brought this year & since The Singles. :)
    Just Keep Things Simple.....
    Love Goldfrapp.....
  • Album of the year has to be Silence Yourself by The Savages for me.
  • Uhmmm....
    David Bowie - The Next Day
    Definitely a winner if you ask me!
  • There's a vote for your best album of the year thing on the guardian website, Goldfrapp are one of the choices.
    http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/poll/2013/dec/17/best-albums-2013-vote-now?CMP=twt_gu
  • my top 10

"One Breath" - Anna Calvi
    "Push The Sky Away" - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
    "Pale Green Ghosts" - John Grant
    "If You Wait" - London Grammar
    "Monkey Minds in the Devil's Time" - Steve Mason
    "Sing to the Moon" - Laura Mvula
    "Aventine" - Agnes Obel
    "Tookah" - Emiliana Torrini
    "Mosquito" - Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Just missing out on the top 10 - Sigur Ros; Lisa Knapp; Little Boots; Lanterns on the Lake; Coco Rosie.

Keith - you are my pop-musical guru. If you say these are the best of 2013, I'll take your word for it. Frankly though, in that case, it must have been a pretty poor year.
  • Crumbs. I suspect I'm the most inadequate of gurus. Bear in mind that I don't use the phrase 'Best of'. I prefer to refer to my 'favourites'. And bear in mind that there are huge swathes of albums (including many on the other lists above) that I haven't heard in full yet.

My favourites make for a pretty good year, as far as I'm concerned. Mind you, any year with a new Goldfrapp album is a good year. :)
  • I had one of those Out of Time Years when I caught up with albums released earlier but which I had missed at the time, so although Sam Lee's Ground of its Own and Marina and the Diamonds' first record came out a while back, they will always be 2013 records for me, even though they really aren't

There were other 2013 records that I just couldn't get  into, Bowie's Next Day, for example. I know I listened to a lot of music in 2013 and I'm a bit surprised to find my list of fave 2013 albums is so short

Nick Cave Push the Sky Away
    James Blake Overgrown
    Savages Silence Yourself
    Anna Calvi One Breath
    Goldfrapp Tales of Us

Must go away and listen to Chvrches in the next few days or this timewarp starts all over again on 1 January.

• Emika - Dva
    Goldfrapp - Tales Of Us
    V V Brown - Samson & Delilah
    Outfit - Performance
    Anna Calvi - One Breath
    and I didn't expect it, but Beyonce's album is really great.

I'd say it's my top, though there's a list of other good albums I'm lazy to mention

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!