Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
'Once upon a time there was a pretty fly' (MIF intro)
  • OK, not a Goldfrapp-penned song, or even one they've covered (as far as I know), but this is the song that they chose as the introduction to the Manchester (MIF) concerts.

At the time, most of us (including me) hadn't a clue what the heck it was. Some even thought it was Alison's vocal, with her trying to sound like a child.

But no, it's from the 1955 film 'Night of the Hunter'. I'm pretty sure it was DiscoPony who first pointed out what it was.

The clip below begins with the song.

It's obviously a film that influenced Alison and/or Will - on 'Tales of Us'. I haven't seen it myself, but I hope you'll agree - based on the clip... it features some amazing photography. Very creepy and haunting. Check out the frog! :-)

Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2013-10-17 12:02:34
  • 21 Comments sorted by
  • Got this film today (on iTunes) - it will be interesting to watch what inspired Alison.
    Formerly known as alex_t.
  • Maybe they chose it cause she really did swallow a fly. Just sayin'.
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • I guess she'll die.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Or she just had a frog in her throat.
    U R I E L
  • In that case, she'll croak.
  • Yay! My missing tortoise! In a timewarp!
  • Gawd, did she swallow that too?!
    U R I E L
  • Maybe she's just hungry.
  • That's fabulous HJ thanks! I hadn't seen it and i wouldn't have been able to place it. It's beautiful, i love it! Gonna have to see the whole film now.
    Post edited by A_is_A at 2013-10-22 22:14:53
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • Excellent :)
    Just Keep Things Simple.....
    Love Goldfrapp.....
  • 'The night of the hunter' - on blu-ray - came into my possession, and I watched it last night.

It was made in 1955, before even I was born, and you might think the picture quality would be pretty poor (by today's high-def standards)... but careful transfer from 35mm film means that's not the case. It looks stunning, and there's a choice of stereo/5.1 sound-options. Just thought I'd mention those technical features. If you've got a suitable player, it's certainly worth sourcing it on blu-ray rather than dvd.

Anyway, the film itself (set in 1930s US) is a unique mix of crime-thriller, gothic horror and deep-south good-vs-bad parable. It's highly stylised and is apparently influenced by German expressionism. Although some of the dialogue now seems a bit stilted, it was refreshing to watch a film which isn't propped-up by special effects and gratuitous sex or violence. There aren't even any car chases! The lack of explicit violence doesn't equate to a lack of menace... Mitchum's crazed 'preacher' is brilliantly chilling.

You can see it comes from the same film-noir stable as those films that more directly influenced Alison on TOU. Stand-out scenes, in addition to the children's escape down the river (seen in the clip above) include an amazing underwater sequence.

Oh, and there's a 'making-of' extra on the disc, where you can hear director Charles Laughton coaxing lines from the 5-year-old girl who plays Pearl.
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-02-04 06:37:13
  • Oh!  The reference to Mitchum's crazed 'preacher' tells me which film it is.  Shelley Winters plays the female lead.  No?  To be honest, it's not a film I'd care to watch again.
  • From all I can gather (Night of the Hunter, Ingmar Bergman) Alison Goldfrapp's taste in films seems to be as much fun as sandpapering your eyeballs.  If Alison phoned to invite me for a night out at the pictures, I imagine the conversation going something like this:

AG: Hi Pet!  Are you doing anything tonight?
    Me (guardedly): Did you have something in mind?
    AG: Yeah, I was thinking of taking in a flick.  My treat, of course.
    Me: That's very generous of you, but I need to wash my hair tonight.  Maybe some other time?
  • ^ Haha!

And yes, Shelley Winters plays the mother/wife.

It's obviously not to your taste, Peter, but I reckon it would appeal to a fair few Goldfrapp fans.

There are lots of reviews (critics ave. rating 98%, punters ave. rating 91%) on Rotten Tomatoes: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/night_of_the_hunter/
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-02-04 13:15:32
  • Yes, it's a truly magnificent film. Gripping story and made with such flair. A pity the critics at the time were so cruel and Charles Laughton never directed another film.

Incidentally, the song 'Hush' that kicks in around 4mins, is covered by the Scottish duo Pumajaw and will feature on their forthcoming album 'Song Noir'. I'll be saying a lot more about this in other threads as I've heard them perform this, and other songs from the album and they're truly fantastic.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!