Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • My name is tattmaylor. I am an addict. I used to waste lot's of money on my addiction. It was hard in the early days getting good quality stuff. It was hard to know what was good shit and what was the bad shit. Some of my suppliers would let me have a sample in the shop but sometimes when you got home you realised you had been dupped and it was ultimately unsatisfying. Back then I wasted a lot of money! I would rather not eat so I could fuel my addition.

Now I have a wife and kids to feed so I can't afford it. BUT I need it more than ever! The hunger is stronger than before. Luckily the world has changed I can get a quick fix on the internet. I have also found networks of fellow addicts to talk to and swap stuff. There are places that get me free stuff although, I try my best to be honest when Ican ( when it's good quality) pay my source.

:-)

Anyhow on a more serious note this is just a thread where us fellow addicts could share our sources! Friends always say 'wow where do you find all this music?' but it's actually from very few sources.

NOTE: THIS IS NOT FOR FILE SHARING SITE LINK!!! PLEASE DON"T POST AS IT'S NAUGHTY AND YOU MUM WOULDN'T LIKE IT. SO KEEP IT TO THE PRIVACY OF YOUR BEDROOM.

1. 6MUSIC (UK radio station). This is a real revelation since it came on. There is a joke on there channel that there listenership is mainly made up of 40yo graphic designers :-) . Must be why like it so much!

2. YOUTUBE. Used to be Myspace but this as kind of taken over a bit as you get to see what they look like. This usually helps if the band is fronted by a sexy lady.

3. MAGAZINE SITES: It used to be actual magazines NME, Q, but since SELECT went down they all seem to have got quiet conservative. etc... but CLASH magazine does a compilation of new bands every month. Like the old cover disc. Also sites like Pitchfork are really good places.

4. YOU GUYS :-) MUSIC BOARDS like Goldfrapp Forum. I used to get stuff from friends but it seems that most people lose an interest in new musc when they have babies. They just want to listen to Absolute80s all day. So these sites are a godsend for me.

5. RECORD LABELS: Dreeke has reminded me of another one. Labels like Bella Union and Ghostly International (my personal tip). Labels that are run by fans rather than A&R men are always worth an explore.

...any other tips?

Post edited by tattmaylor at 2013-06-25 06:18:59
  • 28 Comments sorted by
  • Online radio stations like kcrw.com and amazingradio.com
    Especially Simon Raymonde's show on amazingradio.com is always very good.
    That man has such a great taste in music!

And good old fashioned going to the record store and check out some of the stuff that's on their recommended listen headphones-thingy (we call it a 'luisterpaal' which would be listeningpole in English)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • Dreeke said:

Online radio stations like kcrw.com and amazingradio.com
    Especially Simon Raymonde's show on amazingradio.com is always very good.
    That man has such a great taste in music!

And good old fashioned going to the record store and check out some of the stuff that's on their recommended listen headphones-thingy (we call it a 'luisterpaal' which would be listeningpole in English)

We don't have any here. Apart from a big DVD store called HMV ;-/

Krcw Morning Becomes Eclectic is amazing for the bands it gets to play live. The guy on there has a great taste in music.

Will def check out Simon Raymonde show. Bella Union is a one of those labels with taste. Reminds me missed of another place.
    Post edited by tattmaylor at 2013-06-25 06:19:38
  • When Borders existed they used to have them. Just scan the barcode and there you have it...although more often than not whatever I was trying to listen to came up on screen with 'This disc is not on our system' or words to that effect...
    '' Sometimes I think I've felt everything I'm ever going to feel and from here on out I'm not going to feel anything new, just lesser versions of what I've already felt ''
  • 6) BOOMKAT http://boomkat.com/

If electronic music is your thing then this online store is somewhere you'll visit a lot. Lots of preview clips and some great niche releases. Easy to use and you can pay by PayPal if that helps your shopping trips.

7) Norman Records http://www.normanrecords.com/

Another online store but with some cracking reviewing and sense of humour. Lots to read and discover, even if not always actually buying there. Be sure to read the staff reviews pages under http://www.normanrecords.com/staff-reviews.php as it's a right chuckle a lot of the time.

A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • DJ Sets - not particularly banging-your-tits off DJ sets , plenty of them play sets of different genres of music , without it being a shake-and-vac-your-carpet-to-the-groove beats . I personally go more for eclectic DJs that play a range of stuff in their set - 

http://www.mixcloud.com/categories/      getcha genres here , click into and play - quite a few of the sets have the tracks named , from the tracks I like , I then independently search those artists through http://www.soundcloud.com
    Post edited by Sartori at 2013-06-25 08:38:20
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • If you're into POP-music popjustice.com is also a very good source
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • Online only.

SPOTIFY.
    Creator of Goldfrapp Jukebox, the most complete Goldfrapp music library on the Internet
  • Whenever I want to hear new music, not necessarily meaning recent, I just listen to BBC 6music and I'm bound to like something :)
  • folklore said:

Whenever I want to hear new music, not necessarily meaning recent, I just listen to BBC 6music and I'm bound to like something :)

Wise words, folkie. Very wise indeed.
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • In addition to Spotify, Google Play Music All Access is another good source of music.
    Creator of Goldfrapp Jukebox, the most complete Goldfrapp music library on the Internet
  • I still think there is a dire need for a good ratings scheme/website...
  • Amazon for their lowest prices and highest quality.
  • Being a music obsessive, I use, metacritic, spotify, pitchfork, stereogum, music blogs and sometimes get the odd tune off a soundtrack..constantly searching for decent music is a job in itself. There's loads out there, its filtering the crap that takes some work. 
    Post edited by tvpatrol at 2013-07-30 16:52:05
  • THE GOLDFRAPP STORE

TALES OF US is the only music / album i need  :)

Just Keep Things Simple.....
    Love Goldfrapp.....
  • tvpatrol said:

Being a music obsessive

Any genre?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!