Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Essential viewing for Felt Mountain/Tales of Us fans
  • As a few of us have been going on about the cinematic references in Felt Mountain and Tales of Us thought I would direct you all to this.

I just watched the first part of the BBC FOUR documentary 'Sound of Cinema: The music that made the movies' and it was, as usual for a BBC FOUR doc, excellent and a great introduction to orchestral film music. Focusing on Bernard Herrmam (another favourite of Ali and Will). It is also helped by being presented by Neil Brand, a man I saw do a live accompaniment to a near 2 hour version Fritz Langs Metropolis. One of the most amazing things I've seen in live music. Also it starts with John Barry's Ipcress File, which he states is one of the finest film scores every written. Interesting he says good film music becomes like almost a new character in the film :-).

Not sure what other two episodes will be about though, but sure it will go up to Vangelis and Clint.

Should still be on iplayer (sorry UK folks only).
    Post edited by tattmaylor at 2013-09-15 15:18:29
  • 9 Comments sorted by
  • Good to hear it was as good as I hoped - I stuck a series link down for it on my Tivo.
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • Hope it pops on youtube, otherwise I'm lost. I'm in México and iPlayer is quite strict on that matter. Who was the one who said could download any BBC show with some magic technology trick he learnt?
  • found a link on the net dears: http://www.novamov.com/video/v0keqh4p3289e
    Post edited by LuisMariano at 2013-09-18 20:28:08
  • can't go wrong with a bit of john barry. :)

EDIT - just downloading the ipcress file now.
    Post edited by cookiee_munster at 2013-09-28 06:46:10
  • Very good series. He got a lot in in 3 hours. Worth it for interview with Angelo Badalamenti describing how he wrote the twin peaks theme tune. And Vangelis' Mr Bean joke.
  • too bad I only get bbc1 and 2 here I'd have liked to see the Badalamenti  bbc 1 is a waste of time unless you like cooking and bbc 2 has deteriorated beyond belief? Still it's fun to watch the UK falling into oblivion from a safe distance though...

• too bad I only get bbc1 and 2 here I'd have liked to see the Badalamenti  bbc 1 is a waste of time unless you like cooking and bbc 2 has deteriorated beyond belief? Still it's fun to watch the UK falling into oblivion from a safe distance though...

Probably can't get this then (the Twin peaks snippet). Very funny!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01gk7ws
  • Cheers Tatty. 

this is as good as it gets, the first minute with the saw blades being sharpened is perfection.  

Lisa Gunning please take note!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7d0Lm_31BE
  • oh yeah I ordered Midnight Cowboy from the library today ... never realised the music was John Barry... 

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!